Tourists renting motorcycles in Thailand must have proper license, say new proposals

webfact

On 9/25/2019 at 9:09 AM, darksidedog said:

Money talks and so the renters of bikes will continue to carry on as they have always, unless and until punitive measures are introduced that make it prohibitively expensive to do so. I don't expect that to happen any time soon mind.

Are certain motorcycle rental shops in Pattaya not owned by the police? If so, there is no way that anything will be done, it will all be talk.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/25/2019 at 9:24 AM, Just1Voice said:

When that say - have a license - are they talking about a plain old driving license, or an actual bike license. If they mean actual bike license, bike rental shops in Thailand will all go out of business. 

It really all depends on who owns them.

On 9/25/2019 at 8:58 AM, nev said:

And why not go all the way and make all Thais to have licences too including registered motorcycle and helmets.

It is a step in the right direction to many tourists have no idea how to ride a motorcycle but jump on a twist and go and go hell for leather here.

You just hit the nail there  ????

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did anyone mention 'health insurance'?  I have not read all 13 pages - but surely if Expat retirees must have it, then surely those renting bikes should have it too???  Dont bother replying - I know the answer - it just so annoys me. 

On 9/25/2019 at 9:24 AM, Just1Voice said:

When that say - have a license - are they talking about a plain old driving license, or an actual bike license. If they mean actual bike license, bike rental shops in Thailand will all go out of business. 

I've noticed that recently all the bike shops are full of bikes I was thinking at first no business but it's not, it's more the tourist dont have the correct licenses.

On 10/18/2019 at 12:44 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

If it specifies m'bikes.

I know a lady who rents bikes and the police fined her because the tourist didn't have IDL,

Although they were licensed to ride in their own country

On 9/29/2019 at 1:46 PM, fabman5 said:

One of the worst times to go out on the roads is school time,  when you have young teenagers riding motorcycles without a care in the the world, showing off to their friends, a lot of the bikes they ride don't even have wing mirrors.

I do actually try to avoid driving between 4pm and 6pm around our way because of that.

It's the time of day when I hear most often the sirens from the body collectors pick-ups.

Archived