Tourists renting motorcycles in Thailand must have proper license, say new proposals

webfact

6 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

It always was a requirement just like all the other ignored requirements.Hope they feel better having suggested something already in place,don't they check first?

Don't forget it's like always a chance to appear in the media!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Wow. This is draconian. And really unnecessary. 

I don't think so. Traffic in Germany is for sure much safer than in Thailand but it is a good idea to have some training. I just obtained a license and because I am not too young any more it was possible to do it for big bikes in one go. The smaller licenses are included then.

And I think it is in many countries at least in Europe that there are different license classes for motorcycles depending on cc or power.

4 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

No!

Just no!

Nothing looks worse over here on the roads than a 100 kg Felang sitting behind a 45 kg Thai girl riding a scooter.

It makes the Felang look like a complete knOb.

Its embarrassing and screams  N E W B I E !

Not every farang is 100 kgs. I am 68kgs and my wife 57 kgs. If I sit behind her we look OK plus I can feel her tits whilst she is driving.

2 minutes ago, BlueScouse said:

Not every farang is 100 kgs. I am 68kgs and my wife 57 kgs. If I sit behind her we look OK plus I can feel her tits whilst she is driving.

Okey dokey.

So we've got a Fatty riding, and a dwarf as pillion.

And you're not embarrassed?

Or shy?

No biggie.

6 hours ago, nev said:

And why not go all the way and make all Thais to have licences too including registered motorcycle and helmets.

It is a step in the right direction to many tourists have no idea how to ride a motorcycle but jump on a twist and go and go hell for leather here.

All Thais are required to have a licence already.

Just a comment on licence checks... 

I can't remember the last time I was checked while driving my car - its been well over 5 years I guess. 

I was checked riding my bike (where I shouldn't have been) about a year ago - School boy error, I got caught in the central lanes on Vibhavadi Rangsit Rd...  (show licence and 1 or 200 baht). 

So, my point here is - how many licence checks are there? will these regulations actually make any difference????  OR, can't the Police just enforce the existing road rules properly and when someone screws up (jumps a light, rides poorly, on the pavement etc etc) then stop them and fine them, if they don't have a licence, confiscate their bike. This way the penalty is the deterrent for both the rider and the renting party who'd then be charged with renting to someone without a licence (if they wanted their bike back). 

BUT... there is still an underlying point - The Licence in Thailand is not exactly a great measure of adequate training - so what's the point at all in having a licence???? !!!!! - it ultimately comes down to accountability and self enforcement which is the manner in which modern society in the Western World is controlled. 

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just a comment on licence checks... 

I can't remember the last time I was checked while driving my car - its been well over 5 years I guess. 

I was checked riding my bike (where I shouldn't have been) about a year ago - School boy error, I got caught in the central lanes on Vibhavadi Rangsit Rd...  (show licence and 1 or 200 baht). 

So, my point here is - how many licence checks are there? will these regulations actually make any difference????  OR, can't the Police just enforce the existing road rules properly and when someone screws up (jumps a light, rides poorly, on the pavement etc etc) then stop them and fine them, if they don't have a licence, confiscate their bike. This way the penalty is the deterrent for both the rider and the renting party who'd then be charged with renting to someone without a licence (if they wanted their bike back). 

BUT... there is still an underlying point - The Licence in Thailand is not exactly a great measure of adequate training - so what's the point at all in having a licence???? !!!!!... 

Thats Thai thinking "Whats the Point"

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Money talks and so the renters of bikes will continue to carry on as they have always, unless and until punitive measures are introduced that make it prohibitively expensive to do so. I don't expect that to happen any time soon mind.

I have a full motorcycle license from the UK. If this comes to fruition will it also mean that Thai nationals will also need a license? 

If not this can be construed as discrimination a very dangerous path to venture down.

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

Why only tourists?

Why not make a law which says "if a driver is found to be driving without license the driver and the owner of the vehicle will each be fined 5000 THB"?

Even if they only slightly enforce this (i wouldn't expect more from them), then many people will decide to get a driving license, parents will not allow their children to drive on bikes, and many shops will not rent to tourists without license anymore.

Of course this means that most rental shops will have to close due to a lack of customers. But they could become taxi drivers instead, because somehow the tourists have to get arround.

You’re in the realms of fantasy there pal...

6 hours ago, nev said:

And why not go all the way and make all Thais to have licences too including registered motorcycle and helmets.

It is a step in the right direction to many tourists have no idea how to ride a motorcycle but jump on a twist and go and go hell for leather here.

Unlike Thai children...

6 hours ago, nev said:

And while they're at it, why not require motorcycle rental companies to provide real helmets. Most helmets they provide are cheap, in horrible repair, and are totally inadequate for protecting the wearer. 

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

BUT... there is still an underlying point - The Licence in Thailand is not exactly a great measure of adequate training - so what's the point at all in having a licence???? !!!!! - it ultimately comes down to accountability and self enforcement which is the manner in which modern society in the Western World is controlled. 

Obtaining a license in Thailand is not too hard. Neither for car nor for motorcycles. My wife got them in short time. Now she is working on her German license and even if it is very hard for her to learn all the rules, the process forces it and she will have to show that she CAN drive in traffic.

I am sure that the Thai authorities want a safer Thailand. They are introducing a points system for drivers, will introduce a big bike license and some things I don't know of. I am quite sure that they know that better driver education in Thailand is not an easy task. 

Belgium was a country which did not require any driving license until the late 60s. It is still an adventure for me to drive in Belgium. So it will take some time in Thailand, too.

My fix is police checkpoint stops all vehicles, no license you leave the car/bike/taxi/bus whatever with the police until you come back with a license, no fine.

This might take a week, tough luck. Yes the police need to rent a large compound.

If a rental vehicle is stopped with no license the renter surrenders the vehicle to the police... no fine. The shop pays to get the bike/car back.

If you have no helmet you go and get a helmet before proceeding. Mainly for schoolchildren... make them suffer but not financially.

Once the rental shops hurt they will conform.

I would like police to block the road into university's and make no helmet riders walk home and come back with a helmet and license.

The students would quickly conform.... announce this will happen a week before.

About 4 months ago we got a new local police head. He started enforcing the helmet law to great effect. Road side check points are pulling over all drivers without helmets and fining them and in addition checking for valid licenses and registration. My GF says that helmut use has gone from below 50% to over 90% locally based on her observation. I suggested that maybe it was time for her to get a drivers license (has never had one); two months have gone by and she still doesn't have a license, but she wears a helmut religiously and never gets checked. TIT 5555555

17 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

An admirable move - but why forever the focus on The Falang ?

It still only addresses 1 in 10 in  a tourist hotspot like CM and must be closer to .001 in places like Nahkon nowhere.

I think tourists are only involved in a small fraction of the accidents if you look at it nationwide. There is another discussion which may have influenced this focus on tourists. Some tourists in hospitals are not insured and do not pay their hospital bills.

So if you have an accident while riding a bike without proper license then many insurances just refuse to pay. 

License -> Rent -> Maybe Insured

No License -> Rent -> Not Insured

I agree with another post that it’s mainly Thais rather than tourists, though I have seen my fair share of dangerous tourists. Unfortunately the only valid licence is an international which Chinese tourists can’t get. Most farang also don’t bring one. I just refused a Chinese mother with little kids who has no licence and never driven one before who wanted to go explore. Can you imagine the ramifications if we let her go and she had a serious accident. 

Thais don’t rent scooters so this will add further issues for tourists. Perhaps if they can produce a Chinese driving licence that should be sufficient. 

As for big bikes there are far fewer accidents compared with scooters. 

7 hours ago, nev said:

hey something new..?...a license to ride a motorbike..? what a strange idea ...to much beer last night mr. minister ...?...ok...maybe  just for falangs...because they stink...but not for Thais never ever no way...guaranteed...!!!!! the sons of the heavens need to roam their land freely without bs like licenses etc...

Archived