WOW! The water is actually CLEAN and CLEAR on Jomtien Beach

webfact

WOW! The water is actually CLEAN and CLEAR on Jomtien Beach

3pm1.jpg

Thai caption: Clear water at Jomtien Beach!

77kaoded reported that they had been contacted by tourists at Jomtien Beach. 

But in stark contrast to the normal stories about pollution and trash on Thailand's shores the news was actually good. 

They were told that the sea was crystal clear and you could see the sand beneath. 

Woooowwwww! They said in their headline indicating perhaps a touch of Thai irony. 

3pm2.jpg

77kaoded

Reporters hotfooted it there and found many foreign tourists enjoying the rippling waves and the beautiful clear water and sands. Many were sunbathing, others lolling in the gentle surf.

Thais were toddling about collecting shellfish. 

Foreigners were marvelling at the fish that had come to say hello. 

It was a wonderful and peaceful scene, they said, and really quite normal for Jomtien at this time of the year. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-25

Clear does not necessarily mean clean. Duh. I suppose those tourists had water test kits? Check for fecal matter, chemicals, etc?

The beaches are cleaner, thanks to people hired to clean up (mostly sidewalks, but it's a start). Thai tourists are also helping out by leaving their trash on the sidewalks rather than the beach.

2 hours ago, jonclark said:

Nice bit of journalistic license there. 

In my translation from the Thai there is some license but I was trying to convey the sense of the story from one language to another. It struck me that 77kaoded were 'avin' a laff with this too. 

Rooster

50 minutes ago, madmen said:

There are a million beaches around the world where you can't see the sand below so Jomtien is looking better

There is a beach in Puerto Galera, Philippines, whose water looks pristine to the eyes, but there is no water treatment plant. As a result, raw sewage seeps into the water. The local scuba instructors get horrible infections if they teach on that beach. Where exactly is the water treatment plant in Jomtien?

5 minutes ago, Mick501 said:

Went in ankle deep on Pattaya beach today, playing with a toddler.  Water was slightly less disgusting than usual, but still expecting said limbs will have to be amputated in the next couple of weeks.

Are you saying that you actually 'went in' without any form of protection.... ?

40 minutes ago, Mick501 said:

Lol, yep.  Any idea of the usual life expectancy?  Is there time to get my affairs in order?

I have heard that with some medical attention, therapy and regular medications you can virtually live a normal life.......

On 9/25/2019 at 3:07 PM, madmen said:

There are a million beaches around the world where you can't see the sand below so Jomtien is looking better

No matter how "clean" it looks ..... In my 14 years of coming here, I have NEVER entered the waters off Jomtien Beach or Pattaya Beach ... and will NEVER do in the future. I leave that to the Tourists ......

8 hours ago, Awinkl said:

No matter how "clean" it looks ..... In my 14 years of coming here, I have NEVER entered the waters off Jomtien Beach or Pattaya Beach ... and will NEVER do in the future. I leave that to the Tourists ......

Over the course of several high season visits, I would have spent a couple of hundred hours or so in total swimming at Jomtien beach. Never made me sick yet, maybe I’m just spectacularly lucky.

9 hours ago, Awinkl said:

I think Jomtien used to be OK maybe ten years ago which is the last time I swam in it.  Sure I would see some plastic and stuff floating around, but I never had any issues.  Now after the condo construction glut, there is just too much waste and sewer runoff.  Things were not great before all those high rises, so just where do you think they pump or dump all that grey water

Archived