Tourists being ripped off? Tourism minister goes to see if it is really true!

webfact

4pm1.jpg

Picture: TNA

Thailand's billionaire tourist minister went with his entourage to the historic Rattanakosin Island area of Bangkok yesterday. 

His mission was to find out if it was really true that tourists were being overcharged for taxis and tuk-tuks there and being asked to pay more than Thais for joss-sticks and candles at Wat Suthat. 

TNA said the rip offs have been going on for years and years and most government initiatives have failed.

Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn spoke of how he was working with the education ministry in getting children to act as guides and practice their language skills in the process. 

And he promised to have a word with a pal of his in the same political party who is the transport minister about the taxi drivers ripping off the tourists. 

He was referring to Saksayam Chidchob of Bhumjai Thai, notes Thaivisa. 

Phiphat said it's time for there to be more fines than just warnings for overcharging drivers.

Phiphat was named as one of the richest politicians with billions of baht of personal wealth after recent assets declarations. His wife who is also an MP is even richer than him, notes Thaivisa.  

Source: TNA

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-25

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

His mission was to find out if it was really true that tourists were being overcharged for taxis and tuk-tuks there and being asked to pay more than Thais for joss-sticks and candles at Wat Suthat. 

Walking in with an entourage like that along with TV cameras, I am not quite sure what he expected to uncover. Does he think that these rip off artists will do it in front of him? He might be super rich, but you have to question his intelligence if he thought this was anything other than a PR stunt.

Because those ripping off the Tourists will continue to do so in front of the press, police and Minister of Tourism... 

It's a bit like the 'no prostitutes in Pattaya' reports.

The juvenile nature in which these issues are approached is nothing more than embarrassing to the nation. 

Surely those in these positions of influence are aware of how ridiculous these 'crack down / investigation' visits look. 

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

Phiphat was named as one of the richest politicians with billions of baht of personal wealth after recent assets declarations. His wife who is also an MP is even richer than him, notes Thaivisa.

Clearly we have two people who will put their full-time jobs before all else. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

and being asked to pay more than Thais for joss-sticks and candles at Wat Suthat. 

I've heard that foreigners are asked to pay more than Thais when going to Wat Phra Kaew, he might want to have a look at this as well.

So, how many Thai's has he and his wife ripped off to aquire that sort of wealth!

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

but you have to question his intelligence if he thought this was anything other than a PR stunt.

He is a politician. He is a walking PR stunt. Thats what politicians do.

One of the best cures for political nonsense like this is to institute a global rule that every elected politician must, once a year, sit in the middle of his district or riding or whatever with a sign that says, if you dont think I have adequately represented you, feel free to comment by mashing one of these rotten eggs on my head, or making me wear a sign exposing what you think are my flaws, or if you really dont like what I have done, feel free to p*** on me.

Bet they would work a lot harder

30 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

He is a politician. He is a walking PR stunt. Thats what politicians do.

One of the best cures for political nonsense like this is to institute a global rule that every elected politician must, once a year, sit in the middle of his district or riding or whatever with a sign that says, if you dont think I have adequately represented you, feel free to comment by mashing one of these rotten eggs on my head, or making me wear a sign exposing what you think are my flaws, or if you really dont like what I have done, feel free to p*** on me.

Bet they would work a lot harder

Like in the UK you mean?

After your actions (2 more days of vacation for you and your colleagues, the useless trip to Italy) did not go as you wanted, and because you need to be present in the media, your new coup!
But do you really think you can get rid of scammers if you introduce yourself to them?
It is now too many years that it works as the taxi drivers and the monks want, nobody has ever done anything and you want an alibi, so why not invite the media to show how effective you are!
You are spending so much money that it is not yours, but perhaps you think that on the street you can find the reasons for the lack of tourists!

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Walking in with an entourage like that along with TV cameras, I am not quite sure what he expected to uncover. Does he think that these rip off artists will do it in front of him? He might be super rich, but you have to question his intelligence if he thought this was anything other than a PR stunt.

yes agree 200% with you,  there is a long list of things that money can buy, unfortunately Intelligence is not on that list 555

Archived