Why did you choose to retire to Thailand?

zhounan

5 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Every time I go back to Canada I'm reminded about the things I don't miss at all.

Like when it's 28 degrees (Celsius) in late June - and then drops to 7 degrees when it rains.

Like the cost of pretty much everything.

How about the freely available cannabis?

• Haha 1

Different strokes for different folks. I made a huge mistake of building a home in Thailand to take care of my father in law. Now that he has passed I can’t sell the house unless I am willing to take a huge loss. If I could sell I would return in a snap to my home country. Until if and when that happens, I try to make the best of it and enjoy increasing my savings.

Lived in Spain a couple of years, same with Italy, liked both including the food and with knowledge of where to go, costs.  However, I enjoy playing golf and both did not have the abundance of golf courses that also had fairly low costs.  I lived in the PI for 6 years but didn't especially grow fond of the food.  Golf was plentiful and cheap but prices were changing.  Was a diver so loved the waters there and virgin reefs. However, when it came to retirement, Thailand doesn't have big earthquakes, typhoon/hurricanes, snow, cold weather but does have lots of golf courses, most very affordable and of course great food in my opinion.  I was married during my European living and am married now and I never got into the bar scene other than to play darts and don't drink alcohol so life in Thailand for me after 20 years continues to be great and affordable but as times change, baht fluctuates, who knows what will be in the future.  If all else fails, I can still afford to live in the US but would go to a different state than the one from which I did come.

a footnote:  due to the changes in immigration last year, I found it much easier and cheaper to do my long term extension this year and the TM30, since I don't move around much here, it makes it easier to convince my wife not to go visiting relatives.  Seems a big plus for me!

Not retired yet but my reasons;

Cheap (Now not so cheap)

Beautiful women (I'm married)

Wife, kids ooodles of land and several cars not in my name.

Pattaya (love it) no other city on earth like it!!! Go there every month from the boonies. Doesn't get old that way.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

OK Ill play.

I spend half my time here because its a cool place. I spent the last 30 years of mylife in the "country" so to speak and now I am living large in the most affordable decent big city in the world. I dont consider the Government to be a problem, its not like its China or North Korea or some other dangerous Government country. The environment is disgusting but I like the food and the culture. The money is great. I dont like Spanish culture and Italy is too Third World for the money. I may go to Costa Rica for part of the winter next year if I get married back in the States..

Oh and there is a great Georgian Restaurant in lower Suk with a special "bar" across the street for desert.

Can’t stand the food in CR, sadly, like to try Ecuador or Colombia 

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Oh come on. Are you saying you are such a stud they importune you for more?

Another one , the women support me, Jesus cristo

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

Meh - haven't smoked pot since I was 17 and apparently it's pretty easy to get over here now any ways.

Available, but after 8 officers in my condo after gf called and my Dutch Ex Friend snitched me so he could rip me off money i

lent him , not so fun, will attempt to get medical card and do it the right way, I have prescription  from USA for medical conditions , do it legally, I had 12 gm

3 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

You’ve captured a lot of my story thank you.

im glad for folks who can move back and forth. For me poor as I am due to life choices n addiction for half my early life it’s Thailand, or some other Asian country for old age or bust for me if I stay in Oz the cost of living here is out of the question as a single 60 something man so Oz, Europe US is totally beyond my meagre retirement budget.

thailand with all its contradictions is still a great place ????????????

I’ll second that, being in Oz presently, I can see my meagre pension melting like snow under the global warming. And therés no snow in Thai.. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Let's be honest here and cut thru the BS, if it wasn't for the cheap sex, and the thai woman, the place would be void of many men. Period!

men don't come here for the beaches and temples.

Came here 38 years ago and knew nothing about the place. I did not know it was den-of-iniquity at that time. Just a stop on my life's journey. Been here ever since. Soon will retire and continue to live here. Not going anywhere soon.  Paid in Baht, so currency fluctuations really mean sod all to me as far as living here goes. Obviously I benefit when I travel though, which is not that often. So no, not all of us are here for sex, but then I am not here for the temples either.  

• Like 1

I get health care not covered by medical insurance in USA (physical therapy for constant pain) at one-tenth the cost. That's how it started and then I got used to the weather, the food, the low rents, and now good friends. Oh, and you can look at a girl without her pointing you out and screeching like they did in "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", 1970s version.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Importune would not be the way to describe it,more like hysterical begging.

Just spilled my whisky over the keyboard reading that. Fortunately, alcohol evaporates as fast as your fantasies.

Edited by Lacessit

39 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Just spilled my whisky over the keyboard reading that. Fortunately, alcohol evaporates as fast as your fantasies.

Spilling whiskey is a party foul if its good whiskey. So tell us? 18 year old or from a jar?

22 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Spilling whiskey is a party foul if its good whiskey. So tell us? 18 year old or from a jar?

I'd define it as kitchen whisky, as I have lowbrow tastes like you. 18 yo whisky is a furphy, most of the spirit that claims that title is a blend of about 5% of the real stuff with other stuff of various ages. The wonders of brand advertising.

BTW, you are betraying your American origins. Whisky produced in Scotland is whisky. The Irish and Americans add the "e", a rare example of Americans shunning abbreviation.

• Like 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

I'd define it as kitchen whisky, as I have lowbrow tastes like you. 18 yo whisky is a furphy, most of the spirit that claims that title is a blend of about 5% of the real stuff with other stuff of various ages. The wonders of brand advertising.

BTW, you are betraying your American origins. Whisky produced in Scotland is whisky. The Irish and Americans add the "e", a rare example of Americans shunning abbreviation.

I was going to comment on your spelling, but figured that you didnt know what Scotch was.

Im highbrow, I drink Samson

12 hours ago, GarryP said:

Came here 38 years ago and knew nothing about the place. I did not know it was den-of-iniquity at that time. Just a stop on my life's journey. Been here ever since. Soon will retire and continue to live here. Not going anywhere soon.  Paid in Baht, so currency fluctuations really mean sod all to me as far as living here goes. Obviously I benefit when I travel though, which is not that often. So no, not all of us are here for sex, but then I am not here for the temples either.  

so what are you here for ? or why have you not moved on ?

• Confused 1