Why did you choose to retire to Thailand?

zhounan

4 hours ago, Tomahawk21 said:

so what are you here for ? or why have you not moved on ?

I am working here. I like it here. I became a citizen here. My home is here. Why would I move on? 

Edited by GarryP
Grammar
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 4:38 PM, CharlieH said:

Consider this, the decisions and plans you make as a younger man don't always work out as perhaps you thought, no one can predict government changes/requirements currency fluctuations etc.no crystal balls, you do what you think and feels right at the time.

So, you visit a country and enjoy it, you return many times and love it, then you meet and fall in love with one of its inhabitants and the lifestyle.

The relationship progresses you "make a life" and so on, then 15 yrs down the line things change, govt. changes, currency fluctuations and more all impact on your life style. It's too late !! many are at the end of the working life, can't replace it, life has moved on and relationships and the life in the home country has long gone, nothing back there but memories..

So you have what you have, a life and family you made but through no particular fault of your own has just evolved into something very different.

The point being, many didn't intend to retire here at all, many just ended up here through life choices, relationships and just plain fate ! and its where we ended up.

Post of the month Charlie, couldn't agree more.

Why I prefer Thailand?--because its the only country on this planet where social life still exist.

In USA I have to be a millionaire to date women and in Thailand most women available for reasonable price under 100 bucks. Having credit card gives me access to hospital and, in short, nobody push you around to compete. 

3 hours ago, olfu said:

Why I prefer Thailand?--because its the only country on this planet where social life still exist.

In USA I have to be a millionaire to date women and in Thailand most women available for reasonable price under 100 bucks. Having credit card gives me access to hospital and, in short, nobody push you around to compete. 

you dont HAVE to be a millionaire,

just act like one and use deodorant daily and shave your balls once in awhile.

First time I came to Thailand was in Isaan, and loved it straight  away: its people, its environment, its way of life. Local food needs a bit to work on though, for it spicyness. As far aas Isaan women, I fell in love with one of them, never looked bacK 

First time I came to Thailand was in Isaan, and loved it straight  away: its people, its environment, its way of life. Local food needs a bit to work on though, for it spicyness. As far aas Isaan women, I fell in love with one of them, never looked bacK 

Isaan is one of the flattest most boring landscapes in Thailand, the scenery is very boring.

I have noticed over the years though that a lot of birds from Buriram have bigger than normal bristles which is interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

After consideration it seemed to be a good idea at the time and local influences shaped my decision. Something I've never regretted.

Did things work out within all my expectations at the time? No!

I adapted without foregoing my values and life's good

On 9/26/2019 at 12:05 AM, RichardColeman said:

Due to personal current financial circumstances (which will change in future years)  I cannot take my wife and daughter to the UK. So it's more a case of  HAVING to retire here 

Same here, I don't see how I could support a family of 4 with USD 7000 monthly in Europe or Australia/NZ. Especially after a fresh start which would wipe out my savings. So I guess I'll ride it out here another decade here, hopefully, before I snuff it, maintain the girls passports and encourage them to study and settle into active life in the real world. My current job now being to stay alive until my wife fully qualifies for her UN widow's pension of about USD 4K.

On 9/25/2019 at 11:31 PM, Captain 776 said:

QUOTE:

“Lots of sex with young sexy girls. No Soi 6 in any of those countries”

Sharp minds think alike ~!!!

No sexy young girls on Soi  6 last I checked 

old milfs, yes

2 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Wow. Whoop-de-do. emoji123.png.
How far from Isaan are those mountain ranges? 5km? 10 max.

This gets funnier all the time, you think that's only 5-10km from Isaan, priceless....

I can't even be bothered educating you with a map.

Enjoy your stay in Isaan........

The picture is from LomSak, Phetchabun which I believe is technically Isan. It is on the western edge though. The road from Phitsanulok to Udon goes through Lomsak. It's a very pretty mountainous place and I hope to revisit soon. 
It's definitely not Northern (Lanna) Thai because the people generally speak Lao Isan. People ask where I'm from in Thailand because I have a Northern Thai accent, I guess.

Yes, edge of Isaan, yes very mountainous with stunning views, yes technically Isaan, yes people here in Lom Sak all speak Isaan.. as I do (a little!)

33 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Yes, edge of Isaan, yes very mountainous with stunning views, yes technically Isaan, yes people here in Lom Sak all speak Isaan.. as I do (a little!)

image.png.0f9cbc33f04a706f807ee10eed69c8ec.png

Here you go, hopefiully yhis helps, Phetchabun does n't appear to be in Isaan, or am i missing something?