Three young female students injured in motorbike fall

webfact

Three young female students injured in motorbike fall

By The Phuket News

1569396161_1-org.jpg

Three students from Banbangneaw Municipal School were injured in a motorbike accident yesterday (Sept 24). Photo: Kusoldham Phuket Foundation

PHUKET: Phuket City Police have said they are yet to decide what action – if any – three young teenage female students will face after they were injured in a motorbike accident in Phuket Town yesterday afternoon (Sept 24).

Two of the girls, including the one driving the motorbike, are aged 13, the third girl is 12 years old.

The girls were injured when the motorbike they were on struck a kerb along Soi Bang Yai just after 3pm.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/three-young-female-students-injured-in-motorbike-fall-73015.php#7QzDew0ZjqI27Fdi.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-09-25

The girls should face no punishment (their injuries are punishment enough). 

On the other hand, those in charge of the primary care of children should be charged. 

Schools for allowing *underage children to ride their bikes and park on school premises (*underage to have a bike licence), but ultimately, the owners of the bike (unless the bike was stolen) for allowing unlicensed children to ride their bike. 

The elephant in the room forum of course is that the Police have been allowing underage children to illegally ride motorcycles to school for decades. 

So, why charge anyone - it happens, just let it continue!..... or do something about it, but don't try move the goalposts and divert the blame from ineffective policing in trying to claim the girls are at fault, they are children and have been riding past Police boxes daily for years. 

11 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

The Thai streets educate a lot of people. These girls will never be the same when on the roads.

Sadly though , they will. I know of people that have crashed while drunk , only to carry on drink/driving next week. Those that survive , anyway.

3 minutes ago, Titan1962 said:

It’s a cultural thing,it will take decades for things to change if the government decides to do so.

To most Thais,unless it affects them directly,they don’t care and don’t want to get involved. 

It's not a cultural thing

it's just bad behaviour and the lack of severity 

just start to confiscate the vehicules of the offenders and ask a big fine to 

the owner if they want to recover them, it not going to take long time to change the mentality imo

I am a father, so i am sad for the 3 young girls and i hope they are going well quick

This is not news, it is the norm, three on a scooter with no helmets leaving school absolutely standard. Look at any school at drop off or pickup time and despair at the kids chances of survival, also the Mums with two on the seat and toddler stood In footwell and I might add not only the Thais.

Confiscating bikes and fining parents is not going to work, getting Teachers to educate the kids is a waste of time as they are no more responsible than the kids.

I have no answers and the ideas put forward on this forum, even if they are sensible, have absolutely no chance of being heeded, once again T I T.

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

On the other hand, those in charge of the primary care of children should be charged. 

I fully agree - the parents or guardians should be heavily fined along with the school authorities.  The motorcycles of under-aged, unlicenced, drivers should be confiscated.

17 hours ago, PJPom said:

Confiscating bikes and fining parents is not going to work...

It's works

hit the wallet is the only way 

some years ago here in Pattaya nobody was using a helmet

with the frequent police checkpoints and the 400 baths fine associated

you can see now more than 50% or more of the motorbike drivers are using now a helmet

so it's not perfect, but clearly it's on the good way

18 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

It's not a cultural thing

it's just bad behaviour and the lack of severity 

just start to confiscate the vehicules of the offenders and ask a big fine to 

the owner if they want to recover them, it not going to take long time to change the mentality imo

I am a father, so i am sad for the 3 young girls and i hope they are going well quick

Yes it is cultural.

Cause = culture of non-accountability.

Effect = "bad behaviour and the lack of severity"

Confiscating bikes and vehicles isn't going to fix the cultural root-cause and certainly not overnight as you suggest. FWIW, the cops are no longer allowed to seize driving licenses like they did as 'punishment' before because it was clear to see that it never made a damn bit of difference.

From the article linked in the OP:

'Lt Col Nucharee said she had not decided what action to take over the accident, noting that the girl driving the motorbike is not old enough to be issued a motorbike driver’s license.

“Let’s just give them time to recover first, then I can talk with them and their parents later,” she said."'

Just about the best they can do for now.

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Schools for allowing *underage children to ride their bikes and park on school premises (*underage to have a bike licence), but ultimately, the owners of the bike (unless the bike was stolen) for allowing unlicensed children to ride their bike.

I generally agree with your post, but where I live the underage bikers park their motorbikes a bit away from school, so it's not on school premises, and might not be easy for a school to check.

Young motorbike drivers are common – I however cannot say age of all I see, so might not all be underage, even they might look so – so it's merely a general chance of Thai life-style, or Thai-way-of-thinking, that is needed. And many I see, if not most, drives without helmets.

Whom to blame, parents, or police, or school, or all of them?
In this case it seems to be an accident that could also happen for a mature motorbike driver, and luckily no one seems to be serious hurt.

19 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

It’s a cultural thing,it will take decades for things to change if the government decides to do so.

To most Thais,unless it affects them directly,they don’t care and don’t want to get involved. 

Not really; it's an economic thing.  Most of these children found on clapped out old bikes would never get near a school without some kind of transport.  Cars are too expensive, it's often too far and too dangerous to walk,  no public transport, so they must get there somehow. It's not just a Thai problem, you find the same circumstances all over Asia and in parts of Africa and South America, driven by family poverty and governments who will not invest in school transport schemes. I don't condone it, I just understand why it happens. Berating parents won't solve a thing.  They often have no option. Obviously, if it is going to happen, effective training is needed, and an insistence by parents on better and well worn protective clothing and helmets. Not that the kids will wear it.  They are kids after all. 

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Not really; it's an economic thing.  Most of these children found on clapped out old bikes would never get near a school without some kind of transport.  Cars are too expensive, it's often too far and too dangerous to walk,  no public transport, so they must get there somehow. It's not just a Thai problem, you find the same circumstances all over Asia and in parts of Africa and South America, driven by family poverty and governments who will not invest in school transport schemes. I don't condone it, I just understand why it happens. Berating parents won't solve a thing.  They often have no option. Obviously, if it is going to happen, effective training is needed, and an insistence by parents on better and well worn protective clothing and helmets. Not that the kids will wear it.  They are kids after all. 

good points and the number one danger i can see for walking are these packs of dogs...

The elephant in the room forum of course is that the Police have been allowing underage children to illegally ride motorcycles to school for decades. 

So, why charge anyone - it happens, just let it continue!..... or do something about it, but don't try move the goalposts and divert the blame from ineffective policing in trying to claim the girls are at fault, they are children and have been riding past Police boxes daily for years. 

Here here

22 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Their parents should though.

Should they?... I pointed out that the 'owner' of the bike should be held responsible, if that was the parent, then Yes...  But, what if they had borrowed the bike from a friend etc...  they parents may not have known their kids were on a motorcycle (unlikely I know). 

'Someone' is responsible for allowing children on a motorcycle... the only realistic fallback is the owner of said motorcycle. 

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

False, schools have "buses".

39 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But, what if they had borrowed the bike from a friend

....and the parents of the driver wouln't know about this? My money is on her parents owned the bike. There's a reason (even in Thailand) why they have the 15 (or is it 16?) year rule for driving a scooter.

Obviously you don't know very well how the kids can go to a school all over Thailand

the school is not far = they walk or take a bike (A bike, not a motorbike of course)

the school is far = they take the school bus (Cheap, sometimes free, but slow and you need to walk to the bus stop and to not be in late)

or they take a private minibus (on a monthly schedule) the bus take the kid in front of the house and give him back everyday

a little bit more expansive than the public school bus (500\800 bhts/month) but quick and the kid do not have to walk to the bus stop.

Mostly of the ones going to school with a motorbike are not the poorest

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

Obviously you don't know very well how the kids can go to a school all over Thailand

the school is not far = they walk or take a bike (A bike, not a motorbike of course)

the school is far = they take the school bus (Cheap, sometimes free, but slow and you need to walk to the bus stop and to not be in late)

or they take a private minibus (on a monthly schedule) the bus take the kid in front of the house and give him back everyday

a little bit more expansive than the public school bus (500\800 bhts/month) but quick and the kid do not have to walk to the bus stop.

Mostly of the ones going to school with a motorbike are not the poorest

A myopic view of all of 'Thailand', in my wife's village it is 10k to the school and no transport of any kind is provided by anyone. This is not unusual in very rural areas.  You may not know it, but that doesn't make it incorrect. 

1 hour ago, bearpolar said:

False, schools have "buses".

I repeat a reply I gave to some other poster, not all schools do that in a lot of very rural areas, including my Wife's own villiage, which is 10k from the nearest High School.  In addition, the ones that do often have set times to travel back and forth, which means students cannot catch them and also participate in extras lesson time, or extra ex school arranged activities, such as sport, dancing, music lessons etc.  

A myopic view of all of 'Thailand', in my wife's village it is 10k to the school and no transport of any kind is provided by anyone. This is not unusual in very rural areas.  You may not know it, but that doesn't make it incorrect. 

Wow it should be a very rural in the middle of nowhere area then.

I was 5 years in a very rural area (50 kms from a medium city) 20 kms from a small city with the ''big school'' and the things was pretty well organized.

But you are right about the extra hours\days activities, everybody had to fend by themselves for that

fortunately it was not every week, most 1 or2 times in a month.

19 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

It's works

hit the wallet is the only way 

some years ago here in Pattaya nobody was using a helmet

with the frequent police checkpoints and the 400 baths fine associated

you can see now more than 50% or more of the motorbike drivers are using now a helmet

so it's not perfect, but clearly it's on the good way

The sad part is that the motorcycle operator may have a helmet but the 2 or 3 child passengers will not be equipped. 

Archived