Jump to content
BANGKOK
Grumpy John

Anyone used SCG Ku Din fertiliser?

Recommended Posts

Around here a lot of  people are mulching under the mango trees with sugar cane waste which is seasonal to some degree and not always available.  I am wondering if Ku Din is worth using. We need to apply it before Xmas as we irrigate from then till March and need a good mulch cover to help keep the moisture in the soil as long as possible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting. Composted wood fibre fermented with what? Do you have an analysis of the content or the additives that are used? The issue I see is the material used is high carbon content but little nitrogen. If no N is added the biology in the composted material will be hungry and would draw from the ground. So what is the N source?

Sugar cane baggase is cheap as chips if you are lucky enough to be on the return route for any trucks that take cane to a mill. Most drivers will welcome any income rather than return empty.

How much is the KuDin fertiliser per bag and what are the rates for use? 

I dont know the product but would suggest if it is as advertised, a fertiliser, than I would use it as such under the drip line of your trees, but not as a general mulch. 

Having said that, I am keen to learn more about this stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't got a lot of info on it either!  Was hoping to find someone on here who could recommend or condemn it.  The SCG site was glowing with praise for it....surprise  surprise!  With mango trees in India they use wood chippers to reduce the  waste material after prunning, so I have an open mind with using wood waste as a mulch.  Unfortunately I don't have the readies to buy a  wood chipper of decent size.  For the time being I am living off my Thai money and won't be buying in LOS.  And buying one on Alibaba using my Aussie money, and having it sent may leave me with a nasty tax and duty bill....as well as import agent fees. If we have a  bumper season I may Change my mind....maybe! 

Edited by Grumpy John
Smelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may be a little late to start this year, but consider a sunn hemp legume green manure cover crop during rainy season. Cut and leave lay as mulch, or incorporate to build soil organic matter content.  

 

https://www.ecofarmingdaily.com/grow-crops/grow-grasses-forage/sunn-hemp-soil-building-superhero-forage-potential/

and see YouTube videos. 

 

Fertilizer for Free: How to make the most from
biological nitrogen fixation v. 1.0
by Wojciech Majda

plpermaculture@gmail.com
You might also want to check out my Website:
DesignerEcosystem.Com
Thank you for your time.
Wojciech Majda

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

I haven't got a lot of info on it either!  Was hoping to find someone on here who could recommend or condemn it.  The SCG site was glowing with praise for it....surprise  surprise!  With mango trees in India they use wood chippers to reduce the  waste material after prunning, so I have an open mind with using wood waste as a mulch.  Unfortunately I don't have the readies to buy a  wood chipper of decent size.  For the time being I am living off my Thai money and won't be buying in LOS.  And buying one on Alibaba using my Aussie money, and having it sent may leave me with a nasty tax and duty bill....as well as import agent fees. If we have a  bumper season I may Change my mind....maybe! 

I have a hammer mill that will deal with prunings but I agree I will not be buying a "proper" shredder like I see back in Australia. Stick half a tree in it and the chips are blown back into the truck from the shredder that is towed behind. Those European shredders are very expensive and contracted to local government during the season, operations of the Indian ones are just plain dangerous. Here just go to the local sawmill or furniture factory and buy the waste (if they ask for money to clear the waste) if you want sawdust. 

Bottom line is all of those wastes are carbon sources. Make compost and understand that the C::N ratio has to be balanced. The carbon side is easy. Controlling the Nitrogen loss is the hard bit. This Siam Cement product interests me from that point of view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, drtreelove said:

It may be a little late to start this year, but consider a sunn hemp legume green manure cover crop during rainy season. Cut and leave lay as mulch, or incorporate to build soil organic matter content.  

 

https://www.ecofarmingdaily.com/grow-crops/grow-grasses-forage/sunn-hemp-soil-building-superhero-forage-potential/

and see YouTube videos. 

 

Fertilizer for Free: How to make the most from
biological nitrogen fixation v. 1.0
by Wojciech Majda

plpermaculture@gmail.com
You might also want to check out my Website:
DesignerEcosystem.Com
Thank you for your time.
Wojciech Majda

Sun Hemp, mung beans or any other legume crop will increase the N level in the soil. The issue here in a rain fed rice growing community is being able to grow that after the rice harvest and before the soil moisture runs out. During the rainy season is not an option, we cannot eat sun hemp seeds. Plus they don't thrive in flooded fields obviously.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

I haven't got a lot of info on it either!  Was hoping to find someone on here who could recommend or condemn it.  The SCG site was glowing with praise for it....surprise  surprise!  With mango trees in India they use wood chippers to reduce the  waste material after prunning, so I have an open mind with using wood waste as a mulch.  Unfortunately I don't have the readies to buy a  wood chipper of decent size.  For the time being I am living off my Thai money and won't be buying in LOS.  And buying one on Alibaba using my Aussie money, and having it sent may leave me with a nasty tax and duty bill....as well as import agent fees. If we have a  bumper season I may Change my mind....maybe! 

Why not buy a small wood chipper here in Thailand plenty available ,we have been using our one today ,chopping Nappier grass ,it could be for chopping small  branches .

Unless you are trying to chop vast amount  a small one would do the job around here the tree legume Leucaena Leucocephala or Gratin in Thai is often chopped.

Look at patipong.com for Thai made chippers,I have seen them chopping small branches,they do ok.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2019 at 10:35 AM, Grumpy John said:

I haven't got a lot of info on it either!  Was hoping to find someone on here who could recommend or condemn it.  The SCG site was glowing with praise for it....surprise  surprise!  With mango trees in India they use wood chippers to reduce the  waste material after prunning, so I have an open mind with using wood waste as a mulch.  Unfortunately I don't have the readies to buy a  wood chipper of decent size.  For the time being I am living off my Thai money and won't be buying in LOS.  And buying one on Alibaba using my Aussie money, and having it sent may leave me with a nasty tax and duty bill....as well as import agent fees. If we have a  bumper season I may Change my mind....maybe! 

Loads of woodchippers on sale at the kasetsart fair which is yearly in BKK in februari.

 

My MIL uses the leftovers from sugarcane as mulch...it's a good product and so is molasses made from cane.

 

The Thai like to burn everything but if you use it as mulch the ground will be protected from sun so you save water, it increases soil life, worms will open and air the soil....all kinds of wildlife will come, good and bad....

 

There are small Makita woodchippers sold in the West which might even fit in a large suitcase...and they are sure under the free import limit of 2000 us$...i thought the small makita ones cost 200 us$ or so. Just bring the receipt if there's one in your suitcase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2019 at 7:33 PM, drtreelove said:

It may be a little late to start this year, but consider a sunn hemp legume green manure cover crop during rainy season. Cut and leave lay as mulch, or incorporate to build soil organic matter content.  

 

https://www.ecofarmingdaily.com/grow-crops/grow-grasses-forage/sunn-hemp-soil-building-superhero-forage-potential/

and see YouTube videos. 

 

Fertilizer for Free: How to make the most from
biological nitrogen fixation v. 1.0
by Wojciech Majda

plpermaculture@gmail.com
You might also want to check out my Website:
DesignerEcosystem.Com
Thank you for your time.
Wojciech Majda

In an orchard it wouldn't be practical.  We have land put aside for tree production but the rice & corn land is rented out so nowhere to grow legiums which would have benefit as bio mass but we would be leaving behind the benefit in the improved soil.  Ku Din is not the perfect solution but it would be of benefit.  The rain here has eased up so we will be pumping water by the end of month and I want a mulch around each tree at #1 orchard....which is 780 trees last  count.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2019 at 10:03 PM, fruitman said:

Loads of woodchippers on sale at the kasetsart fair which is yearly in BKK in februari.

 

My MIL uses the leftovers from sugarcane as mulch...it's a good product and so is molasses made from cane.

 

The Thai like to burn everything but if you use it as mulch the ground will be protected from sun so you save water, it increases soil life, worms will open and air the soil....all kinds of wildlife will come, good and bad....

 

There are small Makita woodchippers sold in the West which might even fit in a large suitcase...and they are sure under the free import limit of 2000 us$...i thought the small makita ones cost 200 us$ or so. Just bring the receipt if there's one in your suitcase.

US$2000 Or less is duty free??? Only on farm equipment or would that  include wood chippers which aren't strictly farm equipment.  I ask as I did have a look at Alibaba and there are several manufactures who will sell one unit. If I can get a unit in duty free I just have the 7 percent tax And agent fee to pay. I have an engine here to use, all the bits and pieces to make a trailer.....except mudguards.....but hey,  this is LOS finding mudguards here is about the same chance (Buckley's or Nun)  as finding a  proper jockey wheel!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

US$2000 Or less is duty free??? Only on farm equipment or would that  include wood chippers which aren't strictly farm equipment.  I ask as I did have a look at Alibaba and there are several manufactures who will sell one unit. If I can get a unit in duty free I just have the 7 percent tax And agent fee to pay. I have an engine here to use, all the bits and pieces to make a trailer.....except mudguards.....but hey,  this is LOS finding mudguards here is about the same chance (Buckley's or Nun)  as finding a  proper jockey wheel!  

yes 80.000 baht is free to import in the suitcase....my wife just passed them with a new watch from 1500 us$ , they picked her aside but since the watch was under 80.000 baht they let her pass.

 

I know the import rules are very misty, myself i always thought that 20.000 baht was the limit but it is 80.000 i just read..correct me if i 'm wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

In an orchard it wouldn't be practical.  We have land put aside for tree production but the rice & corn land is rented out so nowhere to grow legiums which would have benefit as bio mass but we would be leaving behind the benefit in the improved soil.  Ku Din is not the perfect solution but it would be of benefit.  The rain here has eased up so we will be pumping water by the end of month and I want a mulch around each tree at #1 orchard....which is 780 trees last  count.   

If is very practical in a orchard.  You miss the point, you grow the cover crop in the orchard itself, not in a remote field for export to the orchard. I grew legume green manure crops in our mango and lamyai orchards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what is its  N.P.K , knowing this would give a better idea if its any good, 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, seajae said:

what is its  N.P.K , knowing this would give a better idea if its any good, 

 

Not necessarily.  With the new generation complete organic fertilizers, high NPK is a detrimental quality, and is a pest magnet. A full range of slow release mineral nutrients, NPK values under 10, and beneficial biological inoculants is a better sign of "good". 

https://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/garden-fertilizer-zmaz06jjzraw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DrTreeLove I see what you mean.  Will see if I can find more info about it on Youtube.   

 

Sadly NPK manufactured fertiliser is what a lot of mango farmers are using.  We use it but would like not to.  On the 780 trees we currently add 80kg of 46-0-0 and 150kg of 15-15-15 mixed together, after pruning.  Another 150kg 15-15-15 + 50kg of Magnesium Sulphate in July and once we have flowers (this month) 150kg of 13-13-24 + 50kg of Magnesium Sulphate (up from 0kg last year).  From the end of October onward it's all foliar sprayed with some Boron, Iron, Manganese, Zinc and Magnesium Sulphate.....which is where the wife and I differ.  I say Boron, Iron, Manganese and Zinc should be added earlier.....and added in small amounts with the NPK.....but I don't win every arguement! 😄  We had the soil tested this year.  Surprisingly the report was pretty good.  The only element that was a bit high was Potassium.  Everything else within range. 

 

But times they are achangin' and we like a lot of other growers need to change too!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...