Realtime camera of Samui airport taken offline after police visit British webcam operator

webfact

8 minutes ago, bluechipit said:

Not with the delay I set on the streaming service.  They'd have set it off to late...   ????

I don't understand this  reply, Was it real time or was there a time delay? and if so what was the time delay and was the time delay consistent that when figured out what it was could be compensated for?

Nonetheless, we can all agree that there is a separatist movement in the south  that contains a terrorist component. and that traditionally terrorism  has used attacks on aviation for maximum effect. Also I would hope we can agree that providing a videotaping of the takeoff and landings at an airport can potentially provide  useful information to terrorists. 

I don't even  know why we are even talking about this,

I cant believe that there is an airport security expert in the world that would not think that a live cam( with a delay or not) at an airport runway is not a security concern.

1 hour ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Total nonsense.  Explain exactly how this would work.

What is nonsense is the above question, I am afraid that if you don't understand of why having a remotely accessed live feed on a target could aid you, nothing I could say would help you. 

10 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

SamuiWebCam is a division of Bluechip IT Samui Co., Ltd.

A ThaiVisa.com sponsor 

http://bluechipwireless.com/

I did not know that the above company hosted the service . I enjoy the many live webcams  in Samui and I appreciate their service in many areas, I particularly like the Crystal Bay one.  I see these webcams are placed in many non sensitive areas with no concern from the authorities, but I don't see how it mitigates their placement in security sensitive locations. I am sure they would also not want them placed in any areas could cause danger to the public.    

I had the idea for the airport camera from this youtube page:  Lanzarote Webcam

The live feed had a few minutes delay.  I really didn't think it would have been such an issue.  Anyone can watch the airport from the hundreds of villas in the surrounding hills, you can even drive across the top of the runway when planes aren't landing.  I thought it would be a popular camera for plane spotters.

To be honest the airport police were very good with me and understanding.  They were polite and professional.  They actually remember my webcams from when they were featured both on the Thai and Internatioal news when storm Pabuk passed close by.  Another news outlet were very positive about the whole YouTube channel due to the promotion of Koh Samui around the World.  The Tropical Murphys Cam here is very famous.

I thought about giving it all up as make next to nothing from this, it hardly covers the hosting fees and I've spent literally thousands of dollars on the cameras.  It started for fun when I put a webcam at Murphys about 4 years ago and it grew from there.  I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle any more.  However, I do get the odd email from people around the World thanking me.  One person who wrote to me was paralysed and can't leave her house, she said these cameras give her something to look forward to each day to watch - which was very touching.

5 hours ago, bluechipit said:

I had the idea for the airport camera from this youtube page:  Lanzarote Webcam

The live feed had a few minutes delay.  I really didn't think it would have been such an issue.  Anyone can watch the airport from the hundreds of villas in the surrounding hills, you can even drive across the top of the runway when planes aren't landing.  I thought it would be a popular camera for plane spotters.

To be honest the airport police were very good with me and understanding.  They were polite and professional.  They actually remember my webcams from when they were featured both on the Thai and Internatioal news when storm Pabuk passed close by.  Another news outlet were very positive about the whole YouTube channel due to the promotion of Koh Samui around the World.  The Tropical Murphys Cam here is very famous.

I thought about giving it all up as make next to nothing from this, it hardly covers the hosting fees and I've spent literally thousands of dollars on the cameras.  It started for fun when I put a webcam at Murphys about 4 years ago and it grew from there.  I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle any more.  However, I do get the odd email from people around the World thanking me.  One person who wrote to me was paralysed and can't leave her house, she said these cameras give her something to look forward to each day to watch - which was very touching.

I don't want you to think that we don't appreciate your efforts, at least I know I do. 

I am sure  you have the best intentions in mind.

Is the airport the only webcam you host or are any of the others yours also?

I personally enjoy some of the other webcams , have them saved in my favorites and visit them often, Only last week when talking with my daughter about visiting Thailand with me this spring , we were watching some of the webcams and she said she would very much like to visit there.As such I think not only are they enjoyable but provide a positive service to Samui tourism

I am not an aviation enthusiast, even though I am a graduate of the then known as Academy of Aeronautics, now known as Vaughn College of Aeronautics. But that was so long ago it seems like another life. At this point of my life my only interest in Aviation is that it gets me there , safely, comfortably and inexpensively LOL 

I'm sure there were many others that  enjoyed your airport runway webcam for good reasons and I am sorry for your and their loss.

Unfortunately given today's political  environment  I am sure you must understand the Authorities concerns.

My post was not to criticise you for hosting the webcam,  I am sure it was for the best intentions, My post was in support of the decision of the authorities to remove them,(and I realise that I might be wrong, if so it will not be the first time).

I wonder if there is some accommodation you can come too, that will alleviate the  safety concerns and return your webcam to service. Have you has any such conversations with the authorities??  

10 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Ahh but it just so happens that Thai Airways are late to the extent it matches your delay on the streaming device.

yes... mainly late in Departing... 

- but they always Arrive on time, no matter how long the 'plane waited for a slow passenger (or pilot) to board.   

If late leave... go faster...

funny, that there are (many?) other countries; even more security conscious, yet there's multitudes of airports having enabled set aside areas from where planespotters have free full access to 'spot' all they wish!  

The one's in my mind, are also combination military/civil operations.  Use but one International example; that of Melbourne [MEL] International (Tullamarine)   There's even a cache of foodvans, and signage established, to feed and otherwise support the gaggle of interested folk, towards gathering in a best vantage point... 

but in reference to an example earlier presented by @bluechipit      - is it possible the establishment took exception to the different way his set up is? compared to the usual webcam set&forget method, usually found on the 'net? 

They might not be taking kindly to the manual shadowing pan&scan following/tracking of the individual 'planes?   

17 hours ago, sirineou said:

I don't want you to think that we don't appreciate your efforts, at least I know I do. 

I am sure  you have the best intentions in mind.

Is the airport the only webcam you host or are any of the others yours also?

I personally enjoy some of the other webcams , have them saved in my favorites and visit them often, Only last week when talking with my daughter about visiting Thailand with me this spring , we were watching some of the webcams and she said she would very much like to visit there.As such I think not only are they enjoyable but provide a positive service to Samui tourism

I am not an aviation enthusiast, even though I am a graduate of the then known as Academy of Aeronautics, now known as Vaughn College of Aeronautics. But that was so long ago it seems like another life. At this point of my life my only interest in Aviation is that it gets me there , safely, comfortably and inexpensively LOL 

I'm sure there were many others that  enjoyed your airport runway webcam for good reasons and I am sorry for your and their loss.

Unfortunately given today's political  environment  I am sure you must understand the Authorities concerns.

My post was not to criticise you for hosting the webcam,  I am sure it was for the best intentions, My post was in support of the decision of the authorities to remove them,(and I realise that I might be wrong, if so it will not be the first time).

I wonder if there is some accommodation you can come too, that will alleviate the  safety concerns and return your webcam to service. Have you has any such conversations with the authorities??  

All the cameras on the YouTube channel are mine.  I'm glad you find the whole thing positive, I really enjoyed setting them up and I'm planning to upgrade a couple of them and we have many more potential sites.  I was planning on shutting the whole thing down, but I've had a lot of support since the "incident" so will move forward with it.

For some of the sites that pay me, it was all done legit with billing done via my VAT registered business with tax paid, etc - so I have no worries there.

There's been some high level conversations with the authorities - the airport camera won't return (which is fine, it wasn't that popular anyway...) however they see the whole thing in a positive light.

7 hours ago, tifino said:

but in reference to an example earlier presented by @bluechipit      - is it possible the establishment took exception to the different way his set up is? compared to the usual webcam set&forget method, usually found on the 'net? 

They might not be taking kindly to the manual shadowing pan&scan following/tracking of the individual 'planes?   

No, my camera was just a static image as you can see in the original post.  It didn't pan or track the plane.  However, I was considering setting something like that - and we actually had a microphone install planned this weekend - which obviously didn't go ahead.  ????

On 9/28/2019 at 6:34 PM, bluechipit said:

No, my camera was just a static image as you can see in the original post.  It didn't pan or track the plane.  However, I was considering setting something like that - and we actually had a microphone install planned this weekend - which obviously didn't go ahead.  ????

Your most popular cam appears to be the one on Soi Green Mango. I'm sure you know the one I mean. It gets  viewers from all over the world watching the nightlife on that lively little corner. I think some have been to Samui, others are just curious....

How do I know? I was halfway across the world and missing Thailand a little and ended up watching it... good distraction from work!

For anyone who hasn't seen this webcam... the chat bar on the page is almost a little sub culture in itself. There are regulars there who chat about nonsense while watching the action on Soi Green Mango. They even have made up nicknames which they give to the security people, bar staff and bar goers who are on the cam every night. So mate... whatever your motives for providing these webcams (and I don't doubt they are positive), I hope you are aware that you have created a very interesting corner of the internet......

6 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Your most popular cam appears to be the one on Soi Green Mango. I'm sure you know the one I mean. It gets  viewers from all over the world watching the nightlife on that lively little corner. I think some have been to Samui, others are just curious....

How do I know? I was halfway across the world and missing Thailand a little and ended up watching it... good distraction from work!

For anyone who hasn't seen this webcam... the chat bar on the page is almost a little sub culture in itself. There are regulars there who chat about nonsense while watching the action on Soi Green Mango. They even have made up nicknames which they give to the security people, bar staff and bar goers who are on the cam every night. So mate... whatever your motives for providing these webcams (and I don't doubt they are positive), I hope you are aware that you have created a very interesting corner of the internet......

Hi Rick, glad you enjoy watching the cams.  After this "incident" I made the decision to remove those cameras due to the extra attention the site/page is now getting.  They're great, popular cams, but I don't think they show the best side of Samui.  Also, due to the content, YouTube won't allow any advertising on them so they actually cost me money each month (due to cost of the internet fibre there/hosting costs)  From now on, I'm going to stick to scenic cams.  ????

7 hours ago, bluechipit said:

Hi Rick, glad you enjoy watching the cams.  After this "incident" I made the decision to remove those cameras due to the extra attention the site/page is now getting.  They're great, popular cams, but I don't think they show the best side of Samui.  Also, due to the content, YouTube won't allow any advertising on them so they actually cost me money each month (due to cost of the internet fibre there/hosting costs)  From now on, I'm going to stick to scenic cams.  ????

That's fair enough. The people who watched that cam for hours might have to find something more productive to do now!

Have you thought about putting a cam at one of the Nathon piers? The airport might be out of the question but it is nice to see things coming and going aside from just cars.

On 9/28/2019 at 9:34 PM, bluechipit said:

ahhh, so you were taking still shots? not video...   I was of the impression you were using the same (video) methods as used by your (mentor) reference to the Lararote video stream

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

That's fair enough. The people who watched that cam for hours might have to find something more productive to do now!

Have you thought about putting a cam at one of the Nathon piers? The airport might be out of the question but it is nice to see things coming and going aside from just cars.

Hey Rick, thanks for the suggestion.  I'm looking at a site on Lamai beach this week.  Will go have a look at Nathon at some point.  Was also of thinking of approaching one of the piers that people use to go to the full moon parties - that would be interesting.  A long time ago we had one at Starz cabaret which was quite popular, it might be worth asking them if we can re-install one there.

2 hours ago, tifino said:

ahhh, so you were taking still shots? not video...   I was of the impression you were using the same (video) methods as used by your (mentor) reference to the Lararote video stream

No, it was live video, but the image was static, i.e. not panning and zooming in on the planes flying (like the Lanzarote camera)

On 9/26/2019 at 9:14 AM, johng said:

Never did find out what happened to the Pattaya cams..maybe they where a security risk too..there used to be 2 on

"Walking Sreet"  a couple at Retox bar ,Irish Rovers bar ,Castra Gym, some football pitch (don't know where it was exactly)

and one of Pattaya bay  which is still (sometimes) working...probably more I forget about...but suddenly they all went offline.

Good. These sicko voyeur cams are an intrusion on people's privacy. 

On 9/25/2019 at 10:10 PM, webfact said:

The airport authority had claimed that the camera was a risk to security as the airport is used by many important people. 

Wait, I think I see one now...woops sorry...that is just a speck of dust on my screen.

It's OK, you can listen to air traffic control on the internet and get all the information you need.  What security problem can a CCTV present? I could stand at the airport showing takeoffs and landings on my line account to anyone on the other end.

Archived