O visas

I understand that the department of immigration in Thailand issued a new directive in May this year (2019) stating that retirees over the age of 60 years who entered the Kingdom of Thailand before the 21st October 1998 and have maintained annual retirement visa extensions every year since that date, may now obtain their annual extension based upon a reduced sum in a Thai bank account in their name of 200,000 Baht and a monthly income of not less than 20,000 Baht.

Unfortunately, although I am 76 years old and have lived in Thailand for 21 years, my first O visa was granted on the 27th December 1998 and therefore presumably the new ruling does not enable me to obtain an extension on the basis of the reduced requirements.

Does anyone know the answer?

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The rule is not new. It has been in all police orders done since October of 1998.

This from police order 327/2557 (2014) for extensions of stay.

"(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:"

Your first extension was done a couple of months to late for you to qualify.

3 minutes ago, Farangdad said:

Any idea why the 21st October was chosen as opposed to say the 31st December?

I would guess it was the date a police order went into effect raising the financial requirements for a extension based upon retirement.

4 minutes ago, Farangdad said:

And, is there any leeway in the application of this rule?

None that I am aware of.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I would guess it was the date a police order went into effect raising the financial requirements for a extension based upon retirement.

None that I am aware of.

Even worse, it has to bin continuous , no break in between the extensions...., counts also for the present extensions the " grandfathering" rule 

Edited by david555

2 minutes ago, Farangdad said:

What exactly is the grandfather ing rule and does it still exist???

This is part of the clause of the police order that shows it. It still exists for those that qualify for it. 

On 9/26/2019 at 12:00 PM, ubonjoe said:

The rule is not new. It has been in all police orders done since October of 1998.

This from police order 327/2557 (2014) for extensions of stay.

"(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:"

17 minutes ago, Farangdad said:

What exactly is the grandfather ing rule and does it still exist???

(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been
consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following
criteria:
(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with fluids
maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have
a monthly income of no less than Baht 20,000
(b) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual
fixed income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less
than Baht 500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000

Immigration Bureau order 327-2557 (2014) - extension criteria & conditions en.pdf

Section 2.22.

Edited by Tanoshi

8 minutes ago, Farangdad said:

So, grandfathering is the rule about arriving before the 21st October 1998 and remaining here with extensions of the O visa ever since. Is it?

Yes it is. That is the only one that exists at this time.

When immigration makes changes to some requirements they also exempt those on existing extensions a year to adapt to the changes.

59 minutes ago, Farangdad said:

So, grandfathering is the rule about arriving before the 21st October 1998 and remaining here with extensions of the O visa ever since. Is it?

Correct.

One of the old boys I know, married to a Thai, came in 1994.

In 2004 he visited the UK and didn't get a re-entry permit, as he thought he was extending his ME Non O Visa he used to enter originally (partly because Immigration referred to his extensions as 'Visas'), so he got a 30 day entry on arrival.

Had to start the process again and lost the 'grandfathering'.

• Like 1