4G Simcard when visit Thailand?

vietverco

3 hours ago, Balooo said:

The easiest way: https://www.ais.co.th/travellersim/

You can pick up SIM card at airport

I recommend this.  That is pretty much all they want to sell you at the airport anyways.  They will do it all for you.  Set up your phone etc.  Just give them your money.  Only decision is how much data you want.  I would recommend going with the lowest cost option.  Like just 1 day of data or whatever. 

It's really easy to add credit and more data later.  Just install the MyAIS app and go to any Family Mart to buy credit (but not at the airport Family Mart, because that would be too convenient apparently).

Airport Family Mart sells phone credit with no issue. Have done it many times....

Yes, one can buy a basic 49 baht Traveller SIM, but that option will block you from all of the best data promotions.

Better to buy a normal, non Tourist 49 baht SIM downtown.

I recommend the TRUE tourist SIM....very convenient and hyper easy to topUp.  Sale booth on ARRIVALS at BKK airport. Have a copy of your passport ready to speed up the process and avoid having them going into some back room with your passport...

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

Airport Family Mart sells phone credit with no issue. Have done it many times....

Yes, one can buy a basic 49 baht Traveller SIM, but that option will block you from all of the best data promotions.

Better to buy a normal, non Tourist 49 baht SIM downtown.

Nope.  They could not sell me AIS phone credit when I was there a few weeks ago.  The did not give me the impression it was some temporary thing either but TiT so who knows.

Per

On 10/2/2019 at 2:09 PM, shdmn said:

Nope.  They could not sell me AIS phone credit when I was there a few weeks ago.  The did not give me the impression it was some temporary thing either but TiT so who knows.

Perhaps you strayed into the 7 Eleven there.

Maybe you tried to buy air-side as opposed to land-side.

Let's wait to see if anyone else reports the same issue with the Family Mart land-side.

• 3 weeks later...

I found a table at Lazada detailing what LTE bands are supported in Thailand. Dtac, Ais, True all support band 1 and 3. When I was in Thailand last time I was in band 40 on Dtac. So any phone that supports band 1 and 3 is likely to work in Thailand on all the carriers. Local coverage and speed is another question.

Archived