BKK Stamp Me As Tourist - Almost Void My Retirement Visa

I traveled to the USA and had a re-entry permit.  I even put on my TM-6 I was entering on an O Retirement Visa.  The Immigration at the airport just stamp it as a 30 day Tourist Visa.  Fortunately, I went to Jomtien Immigration and during filing for TM30 and during the discussion it comes up that I have retirement visa.  The person says, no only 30 day tourist visa.  After examining the passport she agrees that at the airport they just miss the re-entry and the O-Visa.  They straightened out but took me an extra 45 minutes.  I guess next time I will be more careful to tell immigration at the airport to look at O Visa

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HampiK said:

Only 1 question you put your Re-Entry number in the Visa field on your TM6 arrival card?

Anyway this always should be checked as such mistakes can happens...

There is not a place for Re-Entry on TM6.  There is a place for Visa and I put the O Retirement Visa in the box. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thomas J said:

There is not a place for Re-Entry on TM6.  There is a place for Visa and I put the O Retirement Visa in the box. 

There is a field Visa-Nr on the card. There should be entered the Re-Entry permit number! When this field is empty the officier sometimes guess it's a 30 day visa exempt entry. But from your comment I think you put your Visa number.. which is not correct but at least should showed the Officier that you have a VISA or re-Entry permit

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HampiK said:

There is a field Visa-Nr on the card. There should be entered the Re-Entry permit number! When this field is empty the officier sometimes guess it's a 30 day visa exempt entry. But from your comment I think you put your Visa number.. which is not correct but at least should showed the Officier that you have a VISA or re-Entry permit

Yes, you are supposed to put the number of the re-entry permit in the visa-number field on the tm6. I always tell the IO that I have a re-entry permit, and hand him/her my passport opened at the page with that permit. I do check the stamp in my passport before I leave the area. There is a story circulating here about a guy who got the wrong stamp and only found out when he turned up for his 90 days report - he was fined and deported.

You are not alone. I did similar several years ago. Had a multi-entry 90 day from London which was the best way to get around the fact I was always exiting the country at short notice for tour work. I returned to Bangkok from a job, tired and distracted and they stamped me in as a 30 day tourist. Luckily I had a look while I was waiting a connection to Chiang Mai, showed airline staff who arranged for me to go back and get it all corrected. Just shows we are human, we make mistakes, so do Immigration and it can be fixed.

Edited by Lungstib
addition

53 minutes ago, damascase said:

Yes, you are supposed to put the number of the re-entry permit in the visa-number field on the tm6. I always tell the IO that I have a re-entry permit, and hand him/her my passport opened at the page with that permit. I do check the stamp in my passport before I leave the area. There is a story circulating here about a guy who got the wrong stamp and only found out when he turned up for his 90 days report - he was fined and deported.

The TM-6 says VISA number.  How is anyone suppose to know you are suppose to put in your re-entry number.  I traveled to Spain a few months ago and put the VISA number on the TM6 just like this time.

I came through about a month ago in the same circumstances as the O/O. On the TM6 I wrote RE-ENTRY in the visa number slot and I thrust the passport with the re-entry page open and pointed very clearly at it. She got the message straight away.

Don't blame the IO, remember, these guys and gals are trudging their way through P/P after P/P for hours on end. It's very easy to miss something and make a mistake like this.

Edited by Moonlover

53 minutes ago, steve187 said:

this will become more prevalent once the tm6 is done away with

You're prolly right.

I always check my passport stamp on entry. Always.

I'm not so quick to forgive considering how we are treated. In these cases we expect not to have it fixed locally and immediately with an apology and a smile.

No, it's often return to the airport to hash it out and often it's blamed on us if for no other reason than not catching their mistake. Immigration officers shouldn't make mistakes. Sorry.

The problem is their own doing. Not enough staff, constantly hassling incoming travelers, too many classes of visas. They should rotate those cops out every 50 minutes and give them breaks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

You're prolly right.

I always check my passport stamp on entry. Always.

I'm not so quick to forgive considering how we are treated. In these cases we expect not to have it fixed locally and immediately with an apology and a smile.

No, it's often return to the airport to hash it out and often it's blamed on us if for no other reason than not catching their mistake. Immigration officers shouldn't make mistakes. Sorry.

The problem is their own doing. Not enough staff, constantly hassling incoming travelers, too many classes of visas. They should rotate those cops out every 50 minutes and give them breaks.

Good to be you, ain’t that hard to check your paperwork surely...

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

The TM-6 says VISA number.  How is anyone suppose to know you are suppose to put in your re-entry number.  I traveled to Spain a few months ago and put the VISA number on the TM6 just like this time.

I learned, when once an Immigration officier told me to put the correct number on it, as I also used the VISA Number before. But anyway, important is that you put in a number at all, so the Immigration officier can know he should check for a VISA/Re-Entry. And as some already pointed out... mistakes can happen.

20 hours ago, Thomas J said:

I guess next time I will be more careful to tell immigration at the airport to look at O Visa

i always have my passport open to my retirement extension of stay multi reentry stamp and point to it while still holding the passport and say "I have a retirement extension of stay multi reentry." And of course double check everything before leaving.

assume nothing. 

• Like 1