Nocturnal leg cramps

dddave

Nocturnal leg cramps: causes and what to do about them have been a recurring topic on this forum.  I found this article to be very concise and informative on the topic.

www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/heres-what-causes-charley-horses-and-how-to-get-rid-of-them/ar-AAHQjYh?ocid=spartandhp

I have never noticed anyone talking about leg cramps here, although I do not read everything.

Just thought I would share this as I was suffering almost nightly with this problem. prevention is better than cure and I now take a (Royal D) electrolyte every day and never get a cramp if I do this. On the odd occasion I have been away and forgotten for a few days then I get the cramps again. So simple and so cheap, I buy a box of 150 sachets for 160.00 Baht. I suggested this to several friends and it has worked for everyone that's tried it.

A recent study in France showed that people that drank alcohol, regardless of the quantity, were much more likely to get leg cramps (NLC) than teetotallers. 

Magnesium certainly helps with NLC, potassium also although it is unknown as to why these might work. 

Since eating a higher amount of vegetables containing magnesium and potassium, especially Chaya, my NLC have disappeared completely, although I do occasionally get cramps in the feet. I rubn a lot...)

Chaya grows all over the place and is recommended for diabetics, but I never saw it in the markets here, easy to grow. I don't believe you can produce a placebo effect with NLC but for me they stopped on the very first night after eating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cnidoscolus_aconitifolius  (Chaya)

Since a few years, i started to get leg and feet cramps, while sleeping, more often in the very early morning.

Actually, i have a bad habit, which is eating something sweet in the night; soon i noticed that bread and cookies were the causes of the cramps, together with an insufficient hydration.

Problem solved for me, just avoiding carbohydrates at night.

For years a I had leg cramps but somehow the problem seems to have passed.

When I was having cramps I found magnesium helped as did applying pressure to push my toe area upwards and I also found that quickly drinking warm water also helped and for several years I kept a small hot water pot in my bedroom for quick access to the warm water. 

I had regular leg / feet cramps in the past when suffering from Parkinsons and perhaps after TIA's.

I do not use any medication.

I am in my 70's.

I have found that simple floor yoga positions that I learnt to do myself stop them altogether - almost.

I lay on an exercise mat and do simple body stretch movements with both arms and legs, you can feel the effect from head to toes.   10 - 15 minutes most days is enough.    If a limb starts to cramp slowly move it to the original position and try again.

This can also help with natural walking and standing posture.   For example when balance has been affected.

If i do get cramp I take very deep breaths without trying to move the affected limb; once the cramp has gone then I move the limb to its original position.

Drinking plain water, 2 - 3 litres a day may also help.

I had problems with cramps in the legs also. But started taking daily 1 Neo-Lyte bought at 7/11 for 5 baht each. It is very important that your body has the necessary salts, especially in the heat in Thailand. The cramps went away immediately and has not had any problems as long as I'm on this regimen.

NeoLyte.jpg

On 9/28/2019 at 10:27 AM, FredGallaher said:

Quinine also works for me but can be dangerous for some people.

Quinine tablets work for me too, but they're no longer available from my pharmacy due to the Thai FDA restricting its sale. 

Archived