Rajamangala versus Bangkok University

corkman

Hi Everyone,

My (Thai) girlfriend wants to study "something about English". She is looking at B.A. Enlglish / B.A. Business English / B.A. Communications Strategy..... basically anything with a heavy English Language content. Of course, she has no idea what field of work she wants to go into. So my advice to her to go to a good university, where she is likely to make good contacts, and finally when she applies for jobs the reputation of the university is probably as important as the title of the Degree.

With this in mind, which university is considered to be "better" or held in higher esteem? 

Any other helpful suggestions would be greatly received.

One last thing - somewhere with reasonable connectivity to lower Sukhumvit is preferred.

Many thanks in advance!

Bangkok university is the better one of those, but they are both not highly rated...

There's only a few real good ones that have reputation at all: Mahidol, Thammasat, Chulalongorn, Kasetsart, King Mongkuts University of Technology, Khoan Kaen and Chiang Mai uni

Chula is good for Business stuff, sth like this makes sense jobwise: https://www.cbs.chula.ac.th/en/programs/bachelors/bachelor-of-business-administration-international-program/

On 9/26/2019 at 8:06 PM, corkman said:

My (Thai) girlfriend wants to study "something about English". She is looking at B.A. Enlglish / B.A. Business English / B.A. Communications Strategy..... basically anything with a heavy English Language content.

If you're paying, I'd send her to a Rajabhat University, just as bad as all the rest, but only 8kbht/term.

Bangkok University has an International Program which in comparison to many of the Major Thai Univisities is quite reasonable - its not as reputable as Thammarsat or Chula (which have more stringent entrance exams) or a paid Uni such as Rangsit. Bangkok Uni is also a 'paid uni' and more expensive to enter thus students make 'better connections' for future business etc.

Bangkok University is a pretty decent Uni for a Thai to attend and your girlfriends career prospects after completing a full B.A. will be much better than one of the 'institute universities' such as that mentioned above (Rajhabat) where the graduate may get 7-11 work etc.

If you want to know how good a University is find out where the Alumni now work. 

If this is a long term relationship, marriage material kind of lady then Bangkok University is the way to go. But if there is a large age gap between yourselves then remember, you are just a sugar-daddy and once graduated you've paid for her to climb the socio-economic ladder and 'score better'. 

Bangkok university has a reputation for semi decent kindasorta business program. Very attractive students from upper middle class families whose daughters couldn't get into top 5 (10?) public universities.

I personally think the rajabhat a waste of time and money. Better off at Ramkhamheng.

Chulalongkorn BBA is often raved about at least locally. I don't think it's a very innovative or dynamic program. Not especially difficult to get into. SAT 1275 a minimum. The Times Higher and QS rankings marginal much awarded on #phds and sheer volume of *research* papers (all the secondary teachers going for grad degrees for govt salary bump). Recently in BKK Post article Mae Fah Luang bested all of them. 555.

Thanks so much for all your replies. 

A bit of confirmation bias perhaps, but good nonetheless to get some confirmation of what I was thinking. Bangkok University has international programs, and being a bit more expensive will attract students from families with higher expectations and thus lead to a better network of future contacts. 

With little else to differentiate, I think Bangkok University is the one to go for. I don;t mind paying a little bit more. Honestly, the cost difference per year is about the same as I would spend on a night out ????

Thanks again.

Archived