Phuket airport to be ‘more strict’ on beach-going photo-takers over safety

snoop1130

Phuket airport to be ‘more strict’ on beach-going photo-takers over safety

1569495721_1-org.jpg

The warnings were posted again yesterday (Sept 25). Image: AoT

PHUKET: Airports of Thailand (AoT) President Nitinai Sirismatthakarn has warned that officials at Phuket International Airport will be “stricter” on people on the beach taking photos of aircraft flying overhead while landing over safety concerns as the airport enters its busy “winter” flight schedule.

AoT posted a warning yesterday (Sept 25) under the banner “Unseen Phuket”.

The notice warned against the use of drones, laser pointers, balloons, khom loy fire lanterns at the beach where planes pass very low overhead.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-airport-to-be-more-strict-on-beach-going-photo-takers-over-safety-73040.php#9JxefcBHq5zHghPu.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-09-26

All of those are quite reasonable, with the exception of photo taking of course. 

In aggregate we are judged by our lowest common denominator and there are some galactically idiotic people around, fireworks, lanterns, balloons and drones definitely pose a risk.

It would have to be an extremely low flying plane to be impacted by a kite-surfer, but long kites in general, yes, they'd have to be banned so ban them all. 

But, I just don't get the logic behind banning photography - thats a step too far towards the daft. 

The last time this subject hit the news some idiot from AoT threatened beachgoers with the death penalty which drew international derision of Thailand.

While no-one would disagree with strong action being taken against people using drones, lasers, balloons or lanterns in a way that could endanger aircraft, they again risk global condemnation if they start hauling tourists with cameras off to court. 

10 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

The last time this subject hit the news some idiot from AoT threatened beachgoers with the death penalty which drew international derision of Thailand.

While no-one would disagree with strong action being taken against people using drones, lasers, balloons or lanterns in a way that could endanger aircraft, they again risk global condemnation if they start hauling tourists with cameras off to court. 

Stupid spur of the moment remarks shatter confidence among tourists, the death penalty indeed for taking a picture of your air craft landing to take you home from holiday

You people are not looking at the details of the banner.  The banner shows a camera with a Flash attachment.  This flash is what they are warning against using.  People are interpreting that to mean no photography at all.  In the article text the man ambiguously makes reference to selfies and such, but I am sure he means selfies that use a flash.  I don't think non flash photos are prohibited except in those cases mentioned a few days ago where somebody was filming the planes on the tarmac and they cited security reasons which is separate from what this banner is meant to warn

On 9/27/2019 at 10:13 PM, gk10002000 said:

You people are not looking at the details of the banner.  The banner shows a camera with a Flash attachment.  This flash is what they are warning against using.  People are interpreting that to mean no photography at all.  In the article text the man ambiguously makes reference to selfies and such, but I am sure he means selfies that use a flash.  I don't think non flash photos are prohibited except in those cases mentioned a few days ago where somebody was filming the planes on the tarmac and they cited security reasons which is separate from what this banner is meant to warn

It doesn't mention anti tank rounds or uranium tipped  devices so i  guess theyre  ok ?

Archived