Scooter license Pattaya

Pattayadonk

A tourist can drive on a home licence supported by an International driving permit. A person staying longer than 90 days can obtain a Thai driving licence. Usually without a test if he has a motorcycle licence.

In Thailand a car and motorcycle licence are 2 independent items. 

4 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

You don't need a licence, insurance, helmet, or even shoes to ride a scooter in Pattaya, what are you thinking?  haha

Thats all fine so long as the scooter has been appropriately blessed by a monk, and wearing an Amulet.

You won't last long in Pattaya now  without helmet,licence,tax,insurance, underwear and a shirt on your back as there are many police checkpoints around town and on the Sukhumvit road...I think though you can get away with  no shoes..but its not advisable.

Thanks for replies guys I am in Pattaya for 6 months I came last year for 6 months hired a bike but got pulled over 7 times in that time for no license and each time fined 500b. I don’t want to do that anymore . I have no driving license in England . It looks easy enough to get a license Cheers 

2 minutes ago, Pattayadonk said:

Thanks for replies guys I am in Pattaya for 6 months I came last year for 6 months hired a bike but got pulled over 7 times in that time for no license and each time fined 500b. I don’t want to do that anymore . I have no driving license in England . It looks easy enough to get a license Cheers 

I don't know if you read the posts in this thread, but if you got no license at all, you will have to pass driving and theory tests in Thailand.

I don't know if you read the posts in this thread, but if you got no license at all, you will have to pass driving and theory tests in Thailand.
Its not that hard to pass the test...just have to study to answer the computer theory test..as the questions/answers are not logical...you have to learn the "correct" answer even if its totally nonsensical.
The practical driving test is easy except maybe for the driving along a narrow raised platform without falling off or putting you're feet down.

6 minutes ago, johng said:

Its not that hard to pass the test...just have to study to answer the computer theory test..as the questions/answers are not logical...you have to learn the "correct" answer even if its totally nonsensical.
The practical driving test is easy except maybe for the driving along a narrow raised platform without falling off or putting you're feet down.

yeah, but still a PITA !

31 minutes ago, johng said:
1 hour ago, tgw said:
yeah, but still a PITA !

For PITA try passing the UK motorcycle test !

that's not quite a fair comparison, most European motorcycle license tests are beyond the pale, except the Swiss one

14 hours ago, Skallywag said:

You don't need a licence, insurance, helmet, or even shoes to ride a scooter in Pattaya, what are you thinking?  haha

That may have been true 10 years ago but it's not now.  And no, just because you see people still doing it does not mean it's still ok.  They have road checks all the time all over the place. They stop Thais and tourists.  I don't know what the fine is but you will probably have to go to the police station to deal with it.

3 hours ago, tgw said:

yeah, but still a PITA !

Plan to spend the better part of the day at the crowded Transport office a little ways outside of Pattaya.  There is almost no place to sit so most people have to stand for what can easily be hours.  Just went through it.  It's not a fun day.

The tests may be easy but you have to sit through a very boring hour long video first. I know people who have failed the test and had to come back the next day and do it all over again.

13 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Plan to spend the better part of the day at the crowded Transport office a little ways outside of Pattaya.  There is almost no place to sit so most people have to stand for what can easily be hours.  Just went through it.  It's not a fun day.

The tests may be easy but you have to sit through a very boring hour long video first. I know people who have failed the test and had to come back the next day and do it all over again.

exactly - it was a relief when I learned 10 years ago that my Cat. A1 permit was good enough to get a full Thai motorcycle license.

21 hours ago, johng said:

You won't last long in Pattaya now  without helmet,licence,tax,insurance, underwear and a shirt on your back as there are many police checkpoints around town and on the Sukhumvit road...I think though you can get away with  no shoes..but its not advisable.

Exactly right, plenty of regular stops for farangs on a bike with a visible infringement, and quite a few document checks dotted around for those not making it obvious. Add Railway Line Bypass Rd to that list!

22 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Thats all fine so long as the scooter has been appropriately blessed by a monk, and wearing an Amulet.

I just take the monk along.  No license, no helmet, no problem at checkpoints.  Doesn't get any better.  (Would you wear an amulet depicting two skeletons riding a motorbike?)

image.png.44032f53eb0c6818c12cf97bd58f0a23.png

29 minutes ago, Pattayadonk said:

All sorted now have a license and a brand new scooter 110k later lol thanks for advice guys 

I don't suppose there's anyone on this forum would be too happy about you riding around Thailand with no license, no insurance, hence no medical cover in case of accident.

Glad to read that you've done the right thing this time. safe riding and take care.

Archived