passport renewal

I need to renew my UK passport in UK and then transfer my retirement visa and re-entry permit into new passport when I return to Thailand.

I want to renew UK passport in UK using online service.

What is the name of the letter/form that I need to get to show to Thai Immigration when I ask to transfer my visa and re-entry stamps?

I want to check I will get this letter/form when using online application?

Thanks

That letter is issued locally for those who apply from within Thailand.
I’m pretty sure that you can’t get the letter when you apply online within the UK.
I suspect you’ll need to contact the UK Embassy here or VFS in Trendy.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Thanks. So I'd still like to know the name of this letter - what is it called, please?

If I renew online, then can I easily transfer stamps at Immigration? What have others done and/or what is the process to transfer stamps when renewed inline in UK?

42 minutes ago, twix38 said:

Thanks. So I'd still like to know the name of this letter - what is it called, please?

If I renew online, then can I easily transfer stamps at Immigration? What have others done and/or what is the process to transfer stamps when renewed inline in UK?

It´s called a cover letter, where your government or embassy will kindly ask for Immigration to transfer your stamps.

21 minutes ago, twix38 said:

Is there a difference if I apply by post in UK or is theoldgit correct and no letter issued with UK passports? If so what is procedure to transfer stamps in Thailand as I will get new passport in UK. Thanks

Yes, the old git is correct. You will not be able to get this letter when you renew in the UK. It's a local document for local use.

Two solutions. Firstly forget about the letter, but make sure you have proof that you renewed the P/P in the UK. IO may accept it.

Alternatively, renew you passport here. Is there a compelling reason why you can't?

Yes, because I am in UK now and its easier and straight forward to renew here and I prefer to get it done in UK. 

I wonder what the Thai Immigration office would state I need in order to transfer stamps to new passport done in uk?

If its made difficult/impossible once I arrive I don't mind staying for 30 days sending my money back to UK and finishing with Thailand. It's expensive with exch rate and too many Immigration hoops like tm30 etc. I'm getting fed up of all the work when I only come for a few months a year. There comes a point when all the hassle just mounts up and with the costs tips the balance. I may reappraise.

Perhaps if I get it done in UK I could ask British embassy in bkk to issue a cover letter. 

Overall though others must surely have had their new passport issued in home country/UK and then returned to Thailand with old and new passports to get retirement stamp transferred into new passport. This can't be the first time someone has renewed passport on a visit to their home country before returning! What did they do to transfer stamp in Thailand? 

I recently renewed my passport through one of the agents in Pattaya who do the service for you, when it was ready it came back with the letter which I quickly lost in all the other papers I have to keep around me.

Went back to the office that did the renewal for me told her I had lost it and she pulled out a sheaf of signed copies from the British High Com and gave me a new one. Maybe they would be prepared to help you out with a copy if you approach them, failing that you will have to obtain one from the Embassy in Bangkok.

Cant help with the name of the letter but I subsequently found my original copy it does not have any ref number on it but is signed Sarah Jane Pieth Deputy Consul and head of Operations in Bangkok.

7 hours ago, twix38 said:

Perhaps if I get it done in UK I could ask British embassy in bkk to issue a cover letter. 

You get the letter in person or by post from the embassy.

See: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#transferring-your-thai-visa-for-replacement-passports

Thanks ubonjoe.

So the answer is I can get my passport renewed in UK and when in Thailand via the link you supplied "transferring your Thai visa for replacement passports" click in the 'web form' link and request 'visa transfer letter' to be sent to me by post and supply my Thai address.

got there and happy with that. Thanks to all

Archived