leaving the tailgate down.

Don Mega

Good idea. It first happened to me on another, daylight shake down. The empty wallet was inadvertent but got me quickly shooed back into the traffic flow. I used to get quite worried if I only had 1000 baht bills and the nice policeman couldn't make change. Now I know better and only keep maybe a couple or three 20's in the wallet if I am road-tripping.

Can you pls let me know what bobbys only need 40/60 baht or was this 40 years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my actual personal experience, the Thais like to see a red flag or Red Rag tied to the back of any over-length load. I'm not sure whether having the tail gate down qualifies as an overlength load or not but I think a Red Rag flying off the back of the extension of your truck would be a good idea.

near Bkk I got fined 50 B for not driving in the two leftmost lanes of the highway with two bikes in the back, and tailgate open. 

(did have a red flag like marker on the bikes.)

On 9/29/2019 at 1:45 AM, sirineou said:

I remember the first time I got pulled over about 13 yers ago, I was very nervouse and thought I was screwed,, Bib asked fo 200 bht,  I heard the number 200 and thinking I was still in the States almost had a heart attack. being a newby asked my then GF now longtime wife, how much it was in dollars. she said "about $6.00", I was so happy I told her to give him 300 bht LOL.

Still a bargain in Thailand IMO.????

and that is when the seed was planted that (some) foreigners are prepared to pay more .....

On 9/29/2019 at 11:12 AM, NanLaew said:

A few years back, I had a cop at an overnight traffic stop on the 304, south of Korat want money because the 6 tall, covered, potted bushes in the bed of my pickup (tailgate up) were "too tall".

It went like this.

1 ) Aha! farang = low-hanging fruit, must stop.

2 ) License ok = Dammit! 

3 ) Tax sticker OK = Dammit!!

4 ) Tailgate secured = Dammit!!!

5 ) Load covered = Dammit!!!!

6 ) Aha! Too tall! = Gotcha!... song loy.

7 ) Farang shows empty wallet =  Dammit!!!!!

"Bpy! Bpy!! Bpy!!!"

My step daughter got pulled in Udon city at a std road block earlier this year whilst we were in the UK.

This is her last year at Uni, and she has all her licenses, so 100% legit.

She had borrowed our 4 door Vigo Prerunner for a week, which also was 100% legit.

Cops pulled her, and because nothing illegal was found, she was fined 200 Baht for driving a dirty truck! ! !

No word of a lie. A dirty vehicle.

If that had been me, i would happily have also been charged with assault of a traffic policeman.

Admittedly the truck was dirty.

Filthy....

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

My step daughter got pulled in Udon city at a std road block earlier this year whilst we were in the UK.

She had borrowed our 4 door Vigo Prerunner for a week, which also was 100% legit.

Cops pulled her, and because nothing illegal was found, she was fined 200 Baht for driving a dirty truck! ! !

If that had been me, i would happily have also been charged with assault of a traffic policeman.

Filthy....

std stop.:giggle::blush: it was filthy dirty truck. :cheesy: 

4 hours ago, marquis22 said:

Sorry to inform you but scooters are definitely not allowed to be transported that way. 

But anything else is perfectly ok.

011019_120153.jpg

:offtopic2: but cannot resist......

A Thai truck is NEVER overloaded......... just "nearly full":sorry:

5 hours ago, marquis22 said:

Sorry to inform you but scooters are definitely not allowed to be transported that way. 

But anything else is perfectly ok.

011019_120153.jpg

I see overloaded pickups pulled over by the highway police on the 7 motorway daily so I suspect they are not perfectly ok.

53 minutes ago, bugattiklaus said:

As a Master of Bodywork and Carmaking , the Tailgate gives Strenght to the rear end .

if it falls off , you loose the Tailgate and the Scooters . Driving in the Dark .... in a U-Turn ....

can kill somebody ! Keep that in Mind !!!

Don't know about you but typically I use tie downs at the front to secure the scooter to the vehicle.... having a tailgate fall off will not affect the scooter in any way...

The tailgate gives no strength to the vehicle.

22 hours ago, Don Mega said:

The tailgate gives no strength to the vehicle.

As a former Texas pickup driver, I beg to differ. Plenty young hoons in East Texas would either drop or remove the tailgate for better fuel economy and some distorted image of zoominess only to find after several hundred miles that the truck bed sidewalls would start cracking where they met the floor. They tended to flap and flex unnoticed in the slipstream. You also may notice some young Thai hoons in their chipped Isuzu's have those fake heat-treated bars strategically placed where the tailgate used to be. The others just flap away like demented birds.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

As a former Texas pickup driver, I beg to differ. Plenty young hoons in East Texas would either drop or remove the tailgate for better fuel economy and some distorted image of zoominess only to find after several hundred miles that the truck bed sidewalls would start cracking where they met the floor. They tended to flap and flex unnoticed in the slipstream. You also may notice some young Thai hoons in their chipped Isuzu's have those fake heat-treated bars strategically placed where the tailgate used to be. The others just flap away like demented birds.

Yeah those US pickups are pretty damn ordinary with the tailgate gate attached so no wonder the have terminal issues with it removed.

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2019 at 11:39 AM, thaiguzzi said:

Filthy....

The cops should take a look at the buses and vans in Bkk (and everywhere). Many buses haven't been washed for years, vans the same. 

Archived