Chiang Mai: Two karaoke lounges busted for employing underage hostesses

rooster59

Chiang Mai: Two karaoke lounges busted for employing underage hostesses

443558.jpg

Image: Naew Na

Four hostesses under the age of 18 were found to be working at two karaoke lounges in the San Kamphaeng area of Chiang Mai, northern Thailand. 

Thailand's internet crimes against children task force (TICAC) worked with Region 5 immigration and the local police after a complaint was received. 

The investigators followed a trail of evidence on Facebook, Line and other social media before moving against the Look Nam Karaoke and the May and Min Karaoke. 

Three underage girls were found entertaining customers at Look Nam and one at the other establishment.

Naew Na described how customers could grope the underage girls and buy them drinks. Some of the price of the drinks went to the girl, some to the shops. 

Both establishments' face charges of human trafficking and employing underage girls. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-28

13 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Four hostesses under the age of 18 were found to be working at two karaoke lounges in the San Kamphaeng area of Chiang Mai, northern Thailand. 

17 or 18 is just about the age a young woman is in her perfect form physically.

Not sure what it wrong with pretty young women that age walking around being pretty and pleasing.

This French girl, now 17, was scouted from just a baby for her beauty and won Most Beautiful Woman in the World at age 11.

5 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Not sure what it wrong with pretty young women that age walking around being pretty and pleasing.

I think it is called exploitation of minors and a jailable offence in many countries, also can be seen as grooming.

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

You cannot enter a bar at that age, so how can one serve in one legally, exploitation.

I would agree, but the law is fairly useless in Thailand as a gauge for anything.

Whatever the law (usually ignored in all manner of Thai life), the girls may or may not have been coerced.

If they were, it's wrong.

If they were not, I think it's fine.

35 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Thailand's internet crimes against children task force (TICAC)

Can we please stop pretending that 17 year old teenagers are children?

Thailand has a big problem with step fathers and other family members who rape a lot younger girls than 17. And often the mother knows what's going on. And young children can't just run away. That is where the task force should work at. That will keep them busy for some time.

In a perfect world the police would catch all the bad guys. In a not so perfect world they should concentrate first on the worst case offenders who really rape young children. There are too many of them. That should be priority #1.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thailand has a big problem with step fathers and other family members who rape a lot younger girls than 17. And often the mother knows what's going on. And young children can't just run away. That is where the task force should work at. That will keep them busy for some time.

In a perfect world the police would catch all the bad guys. In a not so perfect world they should concentrate first on the worst case offenders who really rape young children. There are too many of them. That should be priority #1.

Your right, it is a big problem and its not only the thais who are doing wrong with the younger girl,these girls are entertaining expats,tourist and other foreigners who buy and feed alcohol and grop them known their underage,that makes them just as guilty.

7 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

And getting groped by a load of drunks?

There are many girls working the bars of Thailand who are younger than the legal age of 18, that is true.  But you have to set some age level or the slope gets more slippery than it already is.  Set the bar at 18 and you will always get 17 and some 16 year olds who will slip through the net.  Set the bar at 16 and then you will get girls of 14 and 15 working in these joints.

There are plenty of very savvy 17 year olds who are more than capable of looking after themselves but also many who are still very vulnerable.  These entertainment venues are not like local parish churches and often they use threats to get the girls to do what they want them to do.

4 hours ago, dunroaming said:

And getting groped by a load of drunks?

There are many girls working the bars of Thailand who are younger than the legal age of 18, that is true.  But you have to set some age level or the slope gets more slippery than it already is.  Set the bar at 18 and you will always get 17 and some 16 year olds who will slip through the net.  Set the bar at 16 and then you will get girls of 14 and 15 working in these joints.

There are plenty of very savvy 17 year olds who are more than capable of looking after themselves but also many who are still very vulnerable.  These entertainment venues are not like local parish churches and often they use threats to get the girls to do what they want them to do.

A child of any age is probably more safe in a Thai KTV than in a church. Sadly enough.????

15 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Yes I think the police need to get out more, from what I have seen on my travels around Thailand

Police are part of the problem....
they know it exists but are happy to either run the business or take a payment to turn a blind eye.... it's employment for the lower end of the scale...

if they shut down every dodgy establishment half of Thailand would be unemployed !!

"17-year-old girls can't work where liquor is served." What if liquor wasn't served? In California they cracked down on nude bars, giving the alcohol control board the right to set  restrictive rules. So places were opened that only served soft drinks. Now they could hire 18-year-old high school girls to dance nude, where previously all the dancers had to be 21. In Kansas, a farm state that allows workers as young as 14, imposed restrictive rules on topless bars where the dancers had to be 21. Clubs were opened selling soft drinks and girls as young as 14 were legally hired as dancers. Panic in the Statehouse! So what if some of Thailand's karaoke clubs stopped selling alcohol and hired 17-year-old hostesses? Just wondering about readers' reactions. I once dated a 20-year-old woman who had run away from a South Carolina care home at age 14 and got a job as a nude dancer in New Orleans before making her way to California. We dated four years and are still friends 25 years later. She's married, running her own business and quite happy.

On 9/28/2019 at 7:39 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

My son was peacekeeping with NATO in Bosnia at 17. Celebrated his 18th birthday over there. 

People leave school and start work at 16 in the UK. 

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

My son was peacekeeping with NATO in Bosnia at 17. Celebrated his 18th birthday over there. 

People leave school and start work at 16 in the UK. 

But he was under the watch of older mature humans

Not in a bar with older lecherous men trying to possibly take advantage of them

I know if I go into a bar and buy a gal a drink I expect that the management should be sure she is of legal age to have a drink. I cannot waste my time checking every young gals id card when they come to hassle you for a drink.

Reminds me of one of my friends here in Europe who thought his 17 year old daughter was a virgin saint....and he almost got a fit when he found her sex videos she made with her b/f.....and by what what was explained, the gal knew all the tricks in bed, that would put a 40 year old female to shame .

What is the point here is that they are not as innocent as the fathers would like to belive they are, at 16 or 17 years old.

As for the faculty of judgment at that age, the law does allow in many countries 15 year olds (or perhaps even younger)  to choose for instance, with which parent they want to live in case of a divorce.

Archived