Indonesian Navy tall ship makes port in Phuket

rooster59

Indonesian Navy tall ship makes port in Phuket

By The Phuket News

1569584145_1-org.jpg

The Indonesian Navy 111-metre-long tall ship KRI Bima Suci will be open to the public to board and tour tomorrow and Monday (Sept 29-30). Photo: via Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command

PHUKET: The Royal Thai Navy (RTN) Third Area Command based in Phuket is inviting people to come aboard to tour the Indonesian Navy’s KRI Bima Suci, a 111-metre-long tall ship used for sailing training.

The ship will arrive at the Phuket Deep Sea Port at 9am tomorrow (Sept 29), and will be open for the public to board and tour from midday to 5pm.

On Monday (Sept 30), the ship will be open to the public again from 10am to 5pm.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/indonesian-navy-tall-ship-makes-port-in-phuket-73057.php#E4lIrsgCOBbrHdzQ.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-09-28

Just now, Scot123 said:

Am I missing something here? Why are the Thai Navy inviting visitors on to Indonesia navy ship? Surely its the Indonesian's who do the inviting? 

Maybe the Indonesians would need work permits to do the inviting and hosting.   There might also be some TV interviews too.  Thai officialdom loves good press. 

What a wonderful tradition and a beautiful ship.   Thailand's neighbors look more interesting all the time. 

2 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Am I missing something here? Why are the Thai Navy inviting visitors on to Indonesia navy ship? Surely its the Indonesian's who do the inviting? 

Who cares? It's just great that finally in Thailand we can visit something real! I've never seen a ship in thailand that i would like to visit, i bet they even don't have them..

Great from the Indo's to have this ship and still use it..and even better that they open it for public, even when abroad.

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Who cares? It's just great that finally in Thailand we can visit something real! I've never seen a ship in thailand that i would like to visit, i bet they even don't have them..

Great from the Indo's to have this ship and still use it..and even better that they open it for public, even when abroad.

Just shake my head¡!¡

6 hours ago, tandor said:

is she a Brigantine?

6 hours ago, Madgee said:

A bark rigged ship?

Brigantine only has two masts (I think)

5 hours ago, kokopelli said:

That ship is known as a Barque or Bark

Hate to correct you all but in fact she is a Barquentine.  Before joining the RN I collected paintings and photographs of Tall Ships and when in the RN we saw many of them and my collection of photographs still continues today.  Whenever they come to Toronto I visit and try to add to my collection.  One of the saddest memories was when the British square-rigged barque Marques went down crossing the Atlantic in 1984.

'nuf sed.

5 hours ago, fruitman said:

Guess you missed the Indian tall ship 3? years ago, together with 2 navy training vessels?

7 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Hate to correct you all but in fact she is a Barquentine.  Before joining the RN I collected paintings and photographs of Tall Ships and when in the RN we saw many of them and my collection of photographs still continues today.  Whenever they come to Toronto I visit and try to add to my collection.  One of the saddest memories was when the British square-rigged barque Marques went down crossing the Atlantic in 1984.

'nuf sed.

A barquentine or schooner barque is a sailing vessel with three or more masts; with a square rigged foremast and fore-and-aft rigged main, mizzen and any other masts. Wikipedia

This ship clearly has more than one square rigged mast.

Just saying ………..I'm no expert.

I drove past there this afternoon and pointed out this nice looking tall ship that was in the harbour. Unfortunately have just seen this article so had no idea we could have visited!

It might have taken me back to the two weeks I spent on a three-masted schooner many years ago. Not the most pleasant of experiences!

I grew up in Rhode Island and worked in Newport.  I got to tell you when they first started rounding up and displaying those tall ships, seeing them in Narragansett Bay and at the piers or under sail really was something.  I have spent some time on the water in small sloops and motor boats, but the view from the bridges, some of the ocean roads etc of those tall ships was really something.  Nothing has quite equaled that first regattae that they put together back then.  Now I am working in San Diego and see some ships around here, like that Star of India.  But growing up near the water really gives you some feeling of what those old time sailors went through.  I have been in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean on the Freedom Star, one of the solid rocket booster recovery ships for the old Space Shuttle Program.  Ship had a wide low to the water fan tail.  You could lay down and literally put your hand in the water while we were motoring about at 13 knots in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean about 1,000 miles from the USA coast.  Weird feeling to imagine falling over board, going down to the bottom, no coast around for safe haven, what kind of monster is just below the water surface waiting to grab me with one of its tentacles!

My collection of paintings, etc., are in England where I have not visited for many years as I live between Canada and other places.  Just had an e-mail from my sister who confirmed the ship is a barque.  I had been thinking of another ship.  For some unknown reason, I mistook her for the Indonesian Navy Ship the KRI Dewaruci.  My apologies to all for my incorrect posted comment reporting the ship to be a Barquentine. 

'nuf sed.

Archived