Does the Greek embassy issue certificate of income.

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I have not read of any cases where those were documented or proven.

Thoose are the people that have gone home now, or are using an agent as long as that will last. Just hoping they will shut that hole in the wall pretty soon.

30 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I think what you have stated confirms that the problem lies not with the various Embassies but with Thai Immigration.

Surely If you have a document issued by an American Government Department stating that you receive x amount as a pension that should be enough.

Why does it need another level of Government to confirm that the information in that document is correct?

As Mazzon stated in his post the real problem is that some expats were making false declarations as to income without being required to provide any proof.

I don’t think Thai Immigration are as stupid as some people believe.

But they don't need to accept false declarations.

They can say, "we audited  this person's income and we can verify that he receives X amount from Social security, X amount from an Annuity  administered with Prudential and X amount from a pension with the International Brotherhood of Carpenters . his 2016 2017. and 2018 tax returns showed X, Y and Z yearly earnings." an easy thing for them to verify. 

Or they can say: "we audited this person income and we could not verify his income "

For some people they can easily verify, and for others they can not , Why do they need to suspend verification for all??   

4 hours ago, GSec said:

The Greek Embassy will never verify income from a different country.

That's indeed possible.

However the Austrian Consulate in Pattaya "verify" the incomes of citizens from Austria, Belgium, France, Holland, Germany ( maybe more countries) and issue a Letter of Income for these citizens.

This since many years, I am Belgian and use this service for about 15 years.

So far never had a problem at Jomtien Immigration.

Since a couple of years they now put the sentence " We hereby confirm that..." in the L.o.I..

I believe a request/demand from Thai Immigration.

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

That's indeed possible.

However the Austrian Consulate in Pattaya "verify" the incomes of citizens from Austria, Belgium, France, Holland, Germany ( maybe more countries) and issue a Letter of Income for these citizens.

This since many years, I am Belgian and use this service for about 15 years.

So far never had a problem at Jomtien Immigration.

Since a couple of years they now put the sentence " We hereby confirm that..." in the L.o.I..

I believe a request/demand from Thai Immigration.

Austria and Greece are a million light years apart.

Greek bureaucracy is as insane as some of the worst in the third World...definitely the worst in Europe and embassies are even a notch more insane (if that is even possible)

28 minutes ago, GSec said:

Austria and Greece are a million light years apart.

Greek bureaucracy is as insane as some of the worst in the third World...definitely the worst in Europe and embassies are even a notch more insane (if that is even possible)

Not sure if the above is true. Have you had a lot of interaction with Greek Embassies?

My interaction was limited to one visit at the consulate in NY and I must admite , it was a very pleasant experience, The were polite, pleasant and fell over themselves to help me.

Very unlike the US embassy where they all acted as if they were doing me a favor.    

On 9/28/2019 at 5:45 PM, Matzzon said:

Nobody has been screwed!

Yes they have been  screwed in the sense bringing in say 2  lump sums a year is  now a No No, saves the importer  having to pay excessive fees etc or bringing in 100k a  month then the last month nothing = "get the <deleted> out"

6 hours ago, Chazar said:

Yes they have been  screwed in the sense bringing in say 2  lump sums a year is  now a No No, saves the importer  having to pay excessive fees etc or bringing in 100k a  month then the last month nothing = "get the <deleted> out"

Get a grip. If you and everybody that choose to reside here, had been aware of the real regulations then you would know that 2 lump sums never been according to the written rules. The only things before was that they were not enforced. Too many people did different than the rules say they can, and therefore they need to be enforced.

The rules have always been monthly transfer or money in the bank. The only difference is that they are now enforced. The ones that always gone by the rules have no problem, and the ones that choosed to break them now have hell to pay.

65K baht Income method for retirement extensions:

Those with an embassy income letter --

There is NO requirement to import even ONE BAHT into Thailand during the entire year. Not daily, not weekly, not monthly, not twice a year. NOTHING. Not now. Not ever in the past. Sorry, I can't predict the future.

Those from nations where they can't get an embassy letter:

This went into effect THIS YEAR as an accommodation for those nationals that were screwed by their embassies. 

For those unfortunates, they are required to import the 65K baht monthly, every month, no missed months, showing that it was a imported from abroad.

15 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I know of one American and one Australia who used to make false claims I would imagine there would be more in the whole of Thailand, not everybody receives big pensions or income.

I am sure about 25% made false claims.   Although I have no data to support it.  And I have not read any cases of somebody being caught or officially accused of it or the Thais contacting the embassies of the countries that stopped issuing income letters that they had concerns due to cases of people being caught without the proper income as they had declared

On 10/2/2019 at 5:59 AM, Peter Denis said:

You indicate in your original post that you will soon be 63 years of age, have more than sufficient income, live in the US and often come to Thailand.
Imo the easiest solution for you would be to apply for a Non Imm OA - retiree Visa in the US, since you clearly meet the +50 years criterium and from what you write I presume that you also meet the financial criteria for such a Visa.  RE the income letter, that problem would then only kick in at the end of the 2nd year after the Visa has been issued.  And can be easily circumvented by applying for a new Non Imm OA Visa when at the end of the 2nd year you are once again in US for one of your trips.

Yes and I may go that route as it keeps many other options and travels open.  I know I will be going back and forth to the states once or twice a year for sure so I could start things all over again.

Thanks

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

65K baht Income method for retirement extensions:

Those with an embassy income letter --

There is NO requirement to import even ONE BAHT into Thailand during the entire year. Not daily, not weekly, not monthly, not twice a year. NOTHING. Not now. Not ever in the past. Sorry, I can't predict the future.

Those from nations where they can't get an embassy letter:

This went into effect THIS YEAR as an accommodation for those nationals that were screwed by their embassies. 

For those unfortunates, they are required to import the 65K baht monthly, every month, no missed months, showing that it was a imported from abroad.

The American Embassy was one of the embassies who decided to abandon their citizens who reside in Thailand, by refusing to issue income verification letters.  I'm not certain if this descision was done due to incompetence, influenced by the Thai government, done to lessen their already light work load, or some other nefarious reason.  Personally, I believe there is something nefarious going on at the top level of embassy staff, although after meeting some of these people, I can't completely rule out incompetence. ????     

Archived