GRAB car policy change on picking up passengers?

orchidlady

yeah, i get that. sometimes the driver will park a block down or drop off in a weird place nearby to avoid problems. they will send texts about it.

still worth it for me as to not worry about price.

tip-book it and pay cash, not with a credit card. that puts you in the drivers seat and the drivers working for you, not vice versa.

On 9/29/2019 at 2:30 AM, Skallywag said:

I have never heard of a taxi using a meter in Pattaya, how is that "legal" ?  How does the government collect taxes on a taxi that never has income - haha.  I have asked many about fares, price per kilometer.  All just say where you go? I tell them, then they tell my some ridiculous 200-400 baht price.

So I say, how you know what meter will be.  They all say, "No meter" or ignore and stick to price, or smile, or get mad.  Then sometimes I'll point at the rooflight, "says taxi meter".  Then of course they either walk away, or I do as they get mad again.  Very different situation than in Bangkok, where every taxi uses meters. 

A 60 baht taxi ride in Bangkok will cost you 200-400 baht in Pattaya anywhere on second road, by any mall, big hotel, etc..

Very true. I totally agree. Even grab now wants minimum 200 baht for 2km in Pattaya. Also I wanted to book a taxi from Drinking street 2nd road Pattaya last week to Jomtien beach (maybe 6km) only to be quoted 400 baht.

Tonight I took a meter taxi in after 3 turned me down in Bangkok 15km to Lak Song metro. More than 20 mins in very bad traffic only cost 113 baht.

Grab quote 173 baht but if you pre paid using a debit card you could save 60 baht for the same journey. 

Couldn't connect my card so called my bank who released the online purchasing. 

Tried the re-enter my card details in Pattaya and was told that is was not available in my country???

I was under the impression that Pattaya was a part of Thailand??

Rant over!!

On 9/28/2019 at 2:22 PM, lopburi3 said:

Totally disagree - taxi drivers are mostly hard working members of society and provide a legal and reliable service at a very low cost to passenger.  Have been using since 1969 and have only had a handful of negative experiences, non serious and non costing more than a normal tip in a western country.  

In Bangkok this has been the case since metres were introduced mid 1990s. The taxi service has been good. Alas not the case in Pattaya where Grab taxis/cars are as expensive as regular cheat taxis.

5 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

In Bangkok this has been the case since metres were introduced mid 1990s. The taxi service has been good. Alas not the case in Pattaya where Grab taxis/cars are as expensive as regular cheat taxis.

And sometimes even more expensive now. Charging the same Illegal market rate.

Archived