Bad Air Quality in Pattaya now?

bbi1

Looking at the sky from my condo balcony towards Koh Larn, over the past few days the air is hazy and hard to see much. I just checked the air quality index and it's at an "unhealthy 137" right now: https://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chonburi/general-education-office/ Bankgkok is even worse at a "red" 160.

Is this due to the fires in Indonesia spreading the pollution to Thailand or something else? I believe this time of the year being rainy season the air quality is meant to be quite reasonable, not like it is now.

The air quality in Pattaya is often not very good. You have a lot of industry in this region and the harbor and the traffic. Especially during the next months it will get worse. You can't have everything here - a clean sea (just kidding) and clean air. Simply don't breath (and swim in the sea). 

9 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Air quality in Thailand has become a real issue for expats whose breathing is marginalized by air pollution...

I am concerned that there has been little to no improvement...

Udon Thani, right now, 152 which is unhealthy for everyone...

Help is at hand. The govt, after much thought and soul searching has recommended burning smaller incense sticks.

There's a logical solution: The Plodprasop Effect. Get all those useless blimps down south, plus any aircraft that are idle including airforce props, biplanes, crop dusters, cloud seeders, hang gliders and remote control planes, and tether them to the top of Pratumnak, tails pointing out to sea. Start them up all at once, and Bob's yer uncle - pollution solved.

7 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

There's a logical solution: The Plodprasop Effect. Get all those useless blimps down south, plus any aircraft that are idle including airforce props, biplanes, crop dusters, cloud seeders, hang gliders and remote control planes, and tether them to the top of Pratumnak, tails pointing out to sea. Start them up all at once, and Bob's yer uncle - pollution solved.

I like the Iceland solution, turning CO2 into rock! 

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/05/scientists-in-iceland-are-turning-carbon-dioxide-into-rock/

It was not so great yesterday but that was a bit unusual.  Probably because of no wind or it's direction.  It was very hot and humid/muggy as well.  The past few nights before were amazing.  Nice and cool with low humidity.  Thais wearing sweaters and jackets ????.  Didn't need to use the aircon for the previous 3 nights.

The wind usually comes in off the sea which makes it nice and cool in the evenings and helps blow the air pollution inland.  One of the reasons I would rather live on the sea side of Sukhumvit instead of the dark side.

This happens every year nowadays. It always begins around September and ends around April.

I got both my air purifiers cleaned up and ready to go a couple of weeks ago and now they are running 24/7.

Some years it is bad for a few days and then ok again for a while and then bad again etc  and some years it is bad for ages.

Something like 5 or 6 years ago I counted 6 days that it was not bad from October to April yet one year recently it was not too bad at all. It is very unpredictable.

I keep saying I will go elsewhere from September to April but never seem to get round to it.

I believe the air quality in Phuket and most of the south seems far better for most of the time it is bad here in Pattaya so I may move down there if I can get around to it.

I love living in Pattaya but this annual pollution for months on end will be the death of me if I don't get out of it.

The Indonesian fires have been affecting the south I hear but the attached image seems to indicate they are fast becoming less of a problem

Simon

Screen Shot 2562-09-29 at 16.05.51.jpg

Screen Shot 2562-09-29 at 16.05.27.jpg

6 hours ago, Skallywag said:

This could be a solution

unfortunely to turn 1 ton of CO2 in rock require the use fo 25 ton of unsalted water

and the water ressource is also a problem all over the world

6 hours ago, shdmn said:

One of the reasons I would rather live on the sea side of Sukhumvit instead of the dark side...

Sorry but Sukkhumvit can not stop the smoke nor the wind

from my balcony just now

on the right of the big communication antenna the sea side

on the left the darkside, and everybody have the same frog

when the wind come from the sea, everybody on the 2 sides of Sukkumvit 

have a pretty good air.

But it's true that Pratamnak area, from the hill to the sea, is more exposed to

the wind than the others places here.

jour de brouillard depuis le balcon 001.JPG

18 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Sorry but Sukkhumvit can not stop the smoke nor the wind

from my balcony just now

on the right of the big communication antenna the sea side

on the left the darkside, and everybody have the same frog

when the wind come from the sea, everybody on the 2 sides of Sukkumvit 

have a pretty good air.

But it's true that Pratamnak area, from the hill to the sea, is more exposed to

the wind than the others places here.

jour de brouillard depuis le balcon 001.JPG

Sigh, it has nothing to do with Sukhumvit stopping the smog...lol.  The point being, the closer you are to the ocean, the better.

Walk around beach road for a month, then go walk around the dark side for a month and you will figure it out yourself after you develop a constant hack.

Of course today, with no wind or in the wrong direction or with the inversion or whatever, it probably doesn't matter where you are.  But quite often it does.

8 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The masses of tour buses really damage the air quality as the season builds up. 

Meh. Lack of pollution controls on exhaust systems is probably a big part of it. I think commercial vehicles emit far more than tourist buses.  I think Thailand is actually farther ahead than many other places in the world because a lot of commercial vehicles run on Natural Gas.  But I think lack of pollution controls is a big part of it.

Nothing to do with heat haze. I prepare for this every year now.

As I said in an earlier post, couple of weeks ago I got my air purifiers cleaned up ready for use.

The annual pollution problem started about a week ago, so I timed it well.

Anyone who is here long term do yourself the biggest favour possible. Get an air purifier or two. Most of the big electrical stores here sell them (check that they can also supply replacement filters..) or can buy online. 3M Filtrete on the air con helps too. Again, buy online or at somewhere like the Home Pro or Homeworks or whatever it is at the Big C Extra in Pattaya Klang.

One way or another, it won't be until next April or so that you can wake up and almost guarantee the air will look ok.

Though, no way at all of knowing how bad it will get. Some years awful, some years just on and off and not a huge problem. Though it still accumulates inside you and may cause you problems in years to come. 

If it looks like being a bad year I will try to force myself to go far south. Though I say this every year and never seem to listen.

Simon

Archived