AETNA/ BUPA premiums

EL159

I just turned 70 last year an have had BUPA ( now AETNA) sine I was 59. Just had my first renewal since turning 70, and although I was expecting an increase...WOW! 50% inrease! Last year paid 37,000 baht, this years renewal 53,000 !!

Anyone with experience, is that the normal level of increase?

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Wow - that is cheap.  I pay close to 75,000 at the age of 61 with Cigna. 

Insurance rate table I was given shows 100K - 150K premiums for those over 70 (attached)

Health Insurance comparison 06-09-2019.pdf 77.17 kB · 7 downloads

For the record, I dont even have the highest AETNA policy ( Platinum?). I only have the third tier policy, "Ruby" which gives partial coverage ( 400,000 + 40,000 accident)

All policies increase with age, some do so annually but others do it in 5 year age bands, with the only increase in the interval years being small inflationary ones.

The increases are not at an same rate, once past 60 the magnitude of increase is much greater.

likely you jumped a 5 year band. If so increases will be minimal for the next 4 years and then there will be another very large increase

Your level of cover is completely insufficient, even for using only government hospitals. I suggest you increase it now while you still can, as companies can refuse to upgrade coverage once you have any pre-existing conditions. Either that or (assuming you have no major pre-existing conditions like diabetes etc) consider change insurers now.

You need at minimum 1 million baht cover per event (not per year) if you will use only government hospitals, 4 million if private. If maximum is per year then 3-4 times that.

At age 70, for a decent policy expect to pay about 100-120K baht a year, less if you accept a deductible.

Archived