Expired doxycycline

Lacessit

I want to go to Cambodia during the winter season. As it is a malarial area, I also want to have a prophylactic available.

I have sufficient doxycycline to cover the trip. The expiry date is July 2018; however, it has been kept under refrigeration at 4 C since it was prescribed for another trip which did not eventuate.

Would the doxycycline still be viable, given its storage condition? What is the cost of two weeks' worth in Thailand?

It is very dangerous to take expired medications int he tetracycline gropu (which doxycycllin is).

Malaria transmission in Cambodia has been almost eliminated -- most of what yo uread online is completely out of date.  Transmission  is now limited to deep forest. Unless you will be spending the night deep in a forest (unadviable for a host fo reasons) , you will nto be exposed. Even in villages near the forests, there is no within village transmission. Which is why there is virtually no malaria among women and children.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

It is very dangerous to take expired medications int he tetracycline gropu (which doxycycllin is).

Malaria transmission in Cambodia has been almost eliminated -- most of what yo uread online is completely out of date.  Transmission  is now limited to deep forest. Unless you will be spending the night deep in a forest (unadviable for a host fo reasons) , you will nto be exposed. Even in villages near the forests, there is no within village transmission. Which is why there is virtually no malaria among women and children.

Thanks Sheryl. The Cambodia information is reassuring. Is it the degradation products of ageing that makes the tetracycline group toxic?

It produces breakdown products that are toxic to the kidneys.

You do not need to do anything re malaria prevention in Cambodis.

Mosquito borne diseases that are of goncern are Japenese B encephalitis, dengue and chikigungya.

There is a vaccine for the encephalitis, get it before you go.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived