Water filter system to drink tap water

Cristiancjb

There's a shop on the Chotana road, north of Tanin Market, more or less across the street from the Rajabhat University campus, that specializes in all kinds of water filtration systems, large and small. I think the name is something like "Northern Exploration." They can answer your questions and set you up.

I was a water treatment consultant in Australia and also did some consulting here. Here, I only drink bottled water from reputable companies. If you want to treat water there are many issues that must be considered, for 1 person or 10,000. The most serious issue here would be backflow, due to poor regulation of anything: note that is an issue everywhere. Also: cysts (they had no awareness), pesticides of course, heavy metals?, disinfection control of bacteria and viruses.

A simple 3-part sink-top filter system that screws on the end of the tap. About 800 baht and up but I wouldn't pay more than 1000 baht. Big C has them. Change the filters monthly.

Sorted.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/mazuma-drinking-water-filter-3-step-ec-33-extra-clean-i7962192-s9937786.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.47.26cb36dfN4m2UI&search=1

3-part.jpg.43d023907c81d5d3cfaea2362f44dd9d.jpg

So I’m wondering with all of the contaminant possibilities out of the tap, is there any local options to test the water before, and following any filtration options one chooses?  After all you can believe what you read the side of a box, and what a salesman you want to believe tells you; but what is in the glass and going into your body is what really matters...  to me anyway.  I have an Amway E-Spring and I’m very skeptical of it catching any and all contaminants...  so begs the question where I can test the filtered water not knowing without what’s actually in it.  Thanks...

We have a multi stage system that has been working well for some time, which was installed and is maintained by the helpful guys at Water Shop in the Big C centre near Central Festival. It consists of a point of entry coarse filter to remove the larger particulates and automatically backwashes itself weekly. The backwash water is often the colour of cola, especially when there has been an all to often pipe break in the area.

After that filter our water supply goes through a water softener, & a smaller particulate filter before being piped into the kitchen and also for the supply to the washing machine. The water for drinking\ice making\cooking then goes through a 3 stage filter & UV light system. 

All this sounds a tad OTT to some but the supply to our area near Meechok requires it. Thanks to our system we have no need to store crates of water bottles that are delivered daily by the numerous water trucks that drive around our moo baan. We can enjoy not having limescale marks or damage to kettles, washing machine, water heaters etc. that can be expensive to repair and replace. The choice is yours.

It may be worth noting that the water from the taps in Chiang Mai is potable, but doesn't always taste delicious. It wouldn't hurt you, though. 

Been making my coffee with water out of the tap for 13+ years here; I'm not glowing in the dark any more than before....

If your home uses a bore hole water supply those under-the-sink water filters are going to clog up and become useless pretty quickly, making them near useless. We eventually were able to connect to the municipal water supply and added one of the Amway eSpring UV water filters on the kitchen tap - the water tastes better than the bottled water delivered by truck and I presume it's safer.

Seems the first item of knowledge is to locate your source of water. A bore hole in the back yard? City water pipe? A spring from the mountain? A moo-baan tank in the sky?

The city water all comes from rain water collected and impounded throughout the countryside. It's filtered, maybe chlorinated, and is considered safe to drink. I boil mine for the coffee, tea etc.

But regular drinking water i get from the downstairs machine which is reverse osmosis (??) and squirts out 1 liter per 1 baht. Never had any problem with this water, either taste or smell. Of course we can't easily see nasty bacteria but have not heard of any issues in CM city. 

Why so concerned? Bad smell or discoloration is what sends many folks to the filter machine. Neither may be harmful. 

11 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Seems the first item of knowledge is to locate your source of water. A bore hole in the back yard? City water pipe? A spring from the mountain? A moo-baan tank in the sky?

The city water all comes from rain water collected and impounded throughout the countryside. It's filtered, maybe chlorinated, and is considered safe to drink. I boil mine for the coffee, tea etc.

But regular drinking water i get from the downstairs machine which is reverse osmosis (??) and squirts out 1 liter per 1 baht. Never had any problem with this water, either taste or smell. Of course we can't easily see nasty bacteria but have not heard of any issues in CM city. 

Why so concerned? Bad smell or discoloration is what sends many folks to the filter machine. Neither may be harmful. 

Well, it's not really me that is so concerned too much. My Thai girlfriend that is now pregnant is more concerned since we are soon gonna have a baby. I am new to Thailand so don't know so much and basically just go with what she recommends. We live now in San Sai area

For family harmony, I'd contract a water delivery for 90 days, till after baby arrives, then you can make another decision.  Continue water delivery, or use 6l jugs and collect water from nearby water machine, or boil tap water, or buy big jugs of water at Tesco. 

I'm in San Sai too and find the tap water v good. But i live alone and that makes a difference. 

35 minutes ago, aqua4 said:

Try https://bkwater.com/ as they install and also call you each year to come and replace the filters. Its about 9,000 THB for the unit and about 2,000 per year in filters. They come out and do it themselves so you dont need to scratch around with the filters under the kitchen cupboard. 

The question is, if we only gonna live here maximum 1 year...is it worth installing something like that?

19 hours ago, Cristiancjb said:

Any idea how I can get to know about the contaminants in my area?

I have been  you can take a water sample to a local Health Dept. for testing. Same  Dept. is supposedly responsible for checks on potable water producers.

In the past I noticed in Bangkok signs  for "Water Testing Service" but I don't know if they were Govt. or a private service.

On 9/29/2019 at 4:26 PM, mserror said:

I was a water treatment consultant in Australia and also did some consulting here. Here, I only drink bottled water from reputable companies. If you want to treat water there are many issues that must be considered, for 1 person or 10,000. The most serious issue here would be backflow, due to poor regulation of anything: note that is an issue everywhere. Also: cysts (they had no awareness), pesticides of course, heavy metals?, disinfection control of bacteria and viruses.

Hello, what is cysts? Is it the bacteria that form crust so they do not die so easily.  I thought pesticides and heavy metals all got filtered when they go through the filter.

Oh, what is a backflow? This is not easy understood by layperson who don't know about treatment of water. I look forward for the reply .

On 9/29/2019 at 8:11 PM, ReelTime said:

So I’m wondering with all of the contaminant possibilities out of the tap, is there any local options to test the water before, and following any filtration options one chooses?  After all you can believe what you read the side of a box, and what a salesman you want to believe tells you; but what is in the glass and going into your body is what really matters...  to me anyway.  I have an Amway E-Spring and I’m very skeptical of it catching any and all contaminants...  so begs the question where I can test the filtered water not knowing without what’s actually in it.  Thanks...

https://www.amway-latvia.com/_fileserver/item/10264/eSpring_Manual_UK.pdf

I’ve no affiliation with Amway nor E Spring, but here’s the sales brochure for anyone who care to read and comment.   

Archived