3 week road trip on my Motorbike

banglay

Hi All .

I am planning a 3 week road trip on my Motorbike which is in my name and Thai registered ...I will get a 30 tourist visa on arrival probably at Cham Yeam border crossing .. My question is what papers will I need to carry to cross into Cambodia with my Motorbike .. and can I exit back into Thailand at another border crossing further up north?  , and can I get Cambodian  bike insurance at or near the border .any intel will be very much appreciated .

Cheers for any help ????

49 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

for hassle free, use Chong Jom/O'smach up north , or Hat lek/Koh Kong down south, need your green book

exit wherever

cant buy insurance

You can add Chong Sa-ngam Crossing out of Si Sa Ket as this is for motorbike ONLY, no autos. As for insurance NO Thia vehicle is insurable in Cambodia.

10 hours ago, khwaibah said:

You can add Chong Sa-ngam Crossing out of Si Sa Ket as this is for motorbike ONLY, no autos. As for insurance NO Thia vehicle is insurable in Cambodia.

Are you saying I can not even buy/get Third party only insurance ???  Most countries insist on a minimum of third party liability cover before being permitted to drive on their roads.. 

2 hours ago, banglay said:

Are you saying I can not even buy/get Third party only insurance ???  Most countries insist on a minimum of third party liability cover before being permitted to drive on their roads.. 

Cambodia offers NO insurance for any Thai registers vehicle and Thailand is the same for a Khmer registered vehicle. You drive your vehicle into Cambodia at your own risk. I live in Kap Choeng about 12 km from the Chong Chom crossing know quite a few Thais and Cambodians that cross over. NO insurance from either side is available.

thanks for this, am moving to Kep next year and am buying a Rav 4 and was planning frequent trips back to thailand, always heard i could get Insurance ( and david goodchild.... Plodd shop in Pattaya that helps overlanders ) confirmed this last year.

and i just sent him off a note asking

as to borders,it might soon be available for all crossings IF this really happens
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ministry-seeks-reduce-red-tape-airports-borders?fbclid=IwAR1k4JYBhWwmPJzKI3_QN0soHA6XGlmmRz0Qz8JBZOp2tVQwz8BpjitSHH0

" “Tourists driving their vehicles into Cambodia can fill out a summary declaration form for temporary entry and exit at international border checkpoints,” the ministry said.

FYI:
for Cambodian car /bike to enter Thailand, from some one that did it in July 2019

A. From Had Lek/Koh Kong to Thailand:

Get yourself stamped out of Cambodia and drive your car across the Cambodian check post (car with Cambodian registration in your name only). Park your car in front of the Thai border gate. Walk into Thailand and get your passport stamped for entry. Take your stamped passport and the registration card to the counter (its the middle one of three counters facing the border gate) She will issue a Thai insurance policy valid for one year (800thb).

She will also the issue two import/export papers with your details.

Take these 2 papers and your registration card across the road to the customs department.
He will issue an import permit and a cardboard token.

These you take to the guard in a cabin at the entrance gate (again across from the customs office). The soldier will enter your details in a book an issue another token.
You then go back to your car and drive it into thailand were a soldier at the gate will take your token. You then advance to a barrier which will be opened after the gate-opener takes your import paper.

You are free now to drive into Thailand. There are 2 check posts on the road to Trat. At the second one near Trat town the police sometimes stop you and write down your details.

That's it for entering Thailand.

2 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

FYI:
for Cambodian car /bike to enter Thailand, from some one that did it in July 2019

A. From Had Lek/Koh Kong to Thailand:

Get yourself stamped out of Cambodia and drive your car across the Cambodian check post (car with Cambodian registration in your name only). Park your car in front of the Thai border gate. Walk into Thailand and get your passport stamped for entry. Take your stamped passport and the registration card to the counter (its the middle one of three counters facing the border gate) She will issue a Thai insurance policy valid for one year (800thb).

She will also the issue two import/export papers with your details.

Take these 2 papers and your registration card across the road to the customs department.
He will issue an import permit and a cardboard token.

These you take to the guard in a cabin at the entrance gate (again across from the customs office). The soldier will enter your details in a book an issue another token.
You then go back to your car and drive it into thailand were a soldier at the gate will take your token. You then advance to a barrier which will be opened after the gate-opener takes your import paper.

You are free now to drive into Thailand. There are 2 check posts on the road to Trat. At the second one near Trat town the police sometimes stop you and write down your details.

That's it for entering Thailand.

Thanks for all that info very useful ????  ...But I need to know the procedure taking a vehicle(Motor Bike) into Cambodia and returning approx 3 weeks later ...or it is a similar procedure entering Cambodia ??..especially the insurance bit.  

we told ya which borders to use above.

For Koh Kong/Osmach entry

the reverse of the above....

the video is good for Osmach.....the thai officials are very helpful so no worries..

NO INSURANCE Is available for a NON Khmer car/bike

NOTE; for cambodia now there is ONLY one paper you need fill out for  visa on arrival and immigration, not 2 as before.  $30 BUT they may ask for more...
Pay in US$$$$ unless you want overpay ( 1,200-1,500 baht)

Archived