Suspect of working in Thailand ... Really? Doing what?

Many stories of people attempting entry either to be denied, or warned.  Most say Immigration accuses them of working in Thailand or suspects them of working in Thailand. 

What kind of work do you suppose immigration suspects these people are doing?

It seems logical that it would be a digital nomad type of work, but most here think they don't care about DN work.

What is the truth?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

This question about "working" in Thailand exposes the greater issue: "Shouldn't immigration be burden with evidence of proof... to support their loose allegations of wrong doing?"

Entirely too much bias and power in the hands of unethical people...

If a person is living in Thailand and not working, one has to assume they have some income or savings. I don't agree with your perspective and say the onus is on the person wanting to live in Thailand and yet, for some unknown reason, refuses to pay to do so. Most of us have to work to survive, and do so well beyond 50. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

7 minutes ago, overherebc said:

True but aren't you held in detention until the decision is made? How long that would take is anyones quess

It should be up to 7 days but it is likely they let you in before if you contact an attorney and they are wrong. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FredGallaher said:

Well said. The some IO can make quick assessments about the OP intents. By showing leases, bank accounts, DL, speaking Thai,etc only proves they aren't tourists. Especially if they have a track record of tourist or ED visa stays. A simple explanation might help, but arguing the law won't. They might answer "you're living in Thailand too long", if true best to pack up and go elsewhere.

My wife and I were asked to speak Thai when we were interrogated. We both speak Thai very well and did as asked but I suspected this was not in my favor and it could be a trap, however I didn't want to 'play dumb'.  My wife is fluent in Lao and Thai as first languages and I studied Thai in Thailand for 2 years on an ED visa plus we speak Thai everyday. Many things can look a certain way but in my case since my ED visa I have always and only come to Thailand as a tourist. I wish when accused of working they would dig deeper because in our case they'll find no proof of what isn't there.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

It's very simple.

If you are of working age and have spent many years inside the country on visas or exempt entries, with only occasional short trips over the border to renew a visa, you either have great independent wealth or a means of income inside the country.

The onus is not on the IO to prove where your local income comes from, but on you to properly explain how you can afford to live here while pretending to be a tourist. You should prove funds in the same way that the over 50 retirees or married people have to show income or large savings. It may be difficult for those who have used Thailand's former laxness to set up a life here, but if there isn't a visa category that fits your situation, bad luck, move on.

The fact that past practices allowed people unlimited entry and stays in this way doesn't mean the country is in the wrong when they decide to tighten up on this unfettered access.  It really just means the party is over for many of those who have lived on Thailand's largess for years.

''It really just means the party is over for many of those who have lived on Thailand's largess for years''

Mmmm that old chesnut. That is what you would love to think. Sadly for you it's not the case, people always find a way. I haven't heard of a single person who is not in Thailand who want to be because they can't get in or cannot stay here. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

''It really just means the party is over for many of those who have lived on Thailand's largess for years''

Mmmm that old chesnut. That is what you would love to think. Sadly for you it's not the case, people always find a way. I haven't heard of a single person who is not in Thailand who want to be because they can't get in or cannot stay here. 

So you, and everyone you know, are living here illegally?

• Confused 3

24 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

If you are here on a tourist or Ed visa and work you are illegal in most cases. 

Sure, but the phrase used was living here illegally, not 'working'., although I suppose it can flush out to be the same thing in some cases.

Ie one can see how this works though, if you are under 50 not married and do not have a work permit or an elite visa (unlikely) or a dependency visa, ie have children here (bit of a grey area) then it's a big red flag, and assume these are the types the gov is targeting. Must be a few thousand of them in Pattaya alone.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is are no existing regulations or rules limiting stays on tourist visas. Same for visa exempt entities other than the 2 at land border crossings per calendar year.

Right, it's just random, but realistically you aren't going to keep getting issued tv's or allowed in on non exempts forever. maybe time it was made law so everyone knows where they stand at least, or maybe the gov are afraid they could lose money, plus it could create big problems for offshore workers who are under 50 and not married who come and go?

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is are no existing regulations or rules limiting stays on tourist visas. Same for visa exempt entities other than the 2 at land border crossings per calendar year.

Interesting.

some years ago i was under 50 yo and i often came in LOS with 30 days visa exemption

and once at the airport immigration they have counted the numbers of days i was in Thailand

in the last months and explained me you can not be here more than 180 days in the last 12 months.

Fortunately i was just under the days limit. 

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There have been in the past? no? Rules about 3 Exempt Entries per 180 days?

I used to enter Thailand on 6 month ME Visas (and renew each 6 months on a home visit to my home country - I saw the landscape changing over a decade ago)

But, the real issue is the suspicion of work: A Perpetual Tourist definitely raises eyebrows regarding how they support themselves, they would in any nation. 

I guess that the majority of those here on repeated tourist Visa's or Exempt entries are working here illegally.

I don't see anything wrong whatsoever with 'computer work' i.e. online service for an overseas company etc 

21 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

plus it could create big problems for offshore workers who are under 50 and not married who come and go?

This is not a new problem or rule, as an offshore worker who has resided here many years I was given only 17 days on entry and told to get another type of visa, that was 14 years ago!

4 minutes ago, CGW said:

This is not a new problem or rule, as an offshore worker who has resided here many years I was given only 17 days on entry and told to get another type of visa, that was 14 years ago!

my point was what if it was made actual law about how many visits one could make on a tv or non exempt in say a calendar year...never said the current climate at immigration is a new problem per se for folk such as your goodself.

Edited by Khon Kaen Jeff
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

my point was if it was made actual law about how many visits one could make on a tv or non exempt..never said it's a new problem for folk such as your goodself.

Yes, I should have added they should either apply the same rules for all or change the "law" as it is totally random now, luck playing a large part for some!