Getting Documents Translated and Certified at the MFA

Filterkoffie

Hi Guys,

Currently planning to get married to my Thai gf. I have a questions regarding translation and certification of the required documents. hope someone can help me clear some things up.

In order to obtain the affirmation to marry from my Embassy, i need to hand over an 'unmarried statement' from my Thai gf(that she obtains from her local amphoer) This document has to be translated from Thai to English and legalized/certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, before I can hand it in at my Embassy.

Now my question is; Does my Thai gf has to get the translation and the legalize/certify stamps herself in person (at the MFA)

Or is it possible for me to do it myself as a foreigner, even though it is her Thai document?

Thanks in advance ????

Cheers.

You can do it, but you will also need a copy of your girlfriend's Thai ID card. Take the document and the copy of the Thai ID card to a translation company and then get them to translate the document and also pay them to get the legalization for you.

When everything is finished you can collect the finished document from them or they will post it to you by EMS postage.

• 4 weeks later...

Why does the OP have to get it certified that she is unmarried for the embassy? All I remember is that I had to get an affirmation from my embassy to say that I was unmarried. Doesn't make sense to me that the embassy has to know that she is unmarried. 

She had to give something to the amphur to say that she was free to marry.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 2:00 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Why does the OP have to get it certified that she is unmarried for the embassy? All I remember is that I had to get an affirmation from my embassy to say that I was unmarried. Doesn't make sense to me that the embassy has to know that she is unmarried. 

She had to give something to the amphur to say that she was free to marry.

It was a requirement from my Embassy in order to receive the affirmation. I thought it was weird as well. 

Archived