Cheaper biodiesel to go on sale from next month

webfact

Cheaper biodiesel to go on sale from next month

By THE NATION

800_d8c9269a6397b6d.jpg?v=1569777142

Photo credit: Energy Ministry's website

Cheaper biodiesel will be available next month at some petrol stations.

The Energy Ministry plans to launch biodiesel B10, made up of 90 per cent diesel and 10 per cent palm oil.

It will be Bt2 cheaper per litre than the current Bt7 per litre, said Somboon Norkaew, deputy permanent secretary at the Energy Ministry.

Of the 100 palm oil refineries, nine have met the palm oil standards required for it to be mixed with diesel, he said.

Four other manufacturers are upgrading their production process and are expected to be able to meet the criterion by the end of this year.

Palm oil producers are required to reduce monoglyceride to be less than 0.4 per cent from the current 0.7 per cent. Meanwhile, diesel refinery plants must reduce water content to less than 200 parts per million (ppm) from the current level of 300ppm. The standard is set by Japanese automobile manufacturers.

He said he will soon consult with palm oil producers in preparation for the B10 launch nationwide in January. It will be available at some gas stations starting from October this year, he said.

Auttapol Rerkpiboon, chairman of the PTT Oil and Retail Business (PTTOR), said that the B10 oil would be available nationwide by January next year.

Currently it is available at 100 out of its total 1,800 petrol stations. By the end of this year, about 150 petrol stations would provide B10 to customers. The PTTOR currently also sells B20 at 500 petrol stations, he said.

Currently, B10 is Bt1 cheaper per litre than B7, he said.

Chairit Simaroj, managing director at Susco Public Company Limited said B10 will be available in January and the company will stop selling B7. Currently, the company also sells B20 at 105 petrol stations.

“My concern is the high cost of production of palm oil because the government guarantees fresh palm at Bt4 per kilogram, but if the government could make B10 cheaper than B7, by Bt2 per litre, then it would encourage consumption,” he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30376880

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-30

54 minutes ago, leeneeds said:

Better lubrication, reduced sulphur, reduces carbon emissions, less soot the gains here get negated by the burning of land to plant palm trees, I am powerless to stop the practice, but will use the end product.

because its cheaper ? 

I just saw B20 Diesel ads at some PTT stations yesterday for the first time. Was wondering what it was...

Palm oil lol. No idea what's worse for the environment, Diesel or Palm oil, but what I do know is that the environmental activists definitely do not like palm oil, that's for sure.

Diesel needs to be reduced or eliminated entirely. It is part of the problem with the air quality here. If a vehicle is being perfectly maintained, diesel is relatively clean. But most vehicles here are not properly or frequently maintained, and herein lies the problem. Diesel power plants, diesel cars and trucks, sugar cane burning, makes a perfect storm of massive pollution. 

Most nations realize the folly of diesel. Thailand is enthusiastically promoting the sale of diesel cars and trucks. Must be making the manufacturers happy, as they are probably having a hard time selling them anywhere else! 

41 minutes ago, Chazar said:

yes but the problem is therefore not "diesel" per se

Well, that is like saying it is not the sea that claims lives, it is careless sailors, or bad storms. The reality is that most diesel vehicles are not properly maintained here. A gas vehicle that is not properly maintained is infinitely cleaner. And natural gas of LPG should be mandatory for ALL trucks. It would make a huge difference. 

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And natural gas of LPG should be mandatory for ALL trucks. It would make a huge difference. 

But according to TVF those gas cars explode when you look at them the wrong way. Must be the truth because it's on the internetz.

10 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Not really, the product provides better lubrication and if that helps my longevity of motor parts it has to be a winner to all users.

I believe I read a scientific study last year that said the tailpipe emission gains of using typical biodiesel vs. regular diesel are more than offset by the agricultural industry pollution that's typically required to grow and produce it...  The message of the study as best as I recall was, don't think of current biodiesel fuels as some kind of panacea solution to air pollution.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe I read a scientific study last year that said the tailpipe emission gains of using typical biodiesel vs. regular diesel are more than offset by the agricultural industry pollution that's typically required to grow and produce it...  The message of the study as best as I recall was, don't think of current biodiesel fuels as some kind of panacea solution to air pollution.

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF BIODIESEL?

Biodiesel has many benefits including: 

• Renewable energy source
  • Reduced dependence on foreign oil
  • Reduced exhaust emissions 
  • Enhanced lubricity 
  • Enhanced cetane
  • Enhanced detergency
  • The debate will be in your own interpretation of science facts given out by the  boffins, of knowledge, 
  • For me if it is a cleaner burn it may cost more to make than normal diesel, I am happy to use albeit at government subsidy, and the added lube, it offers internally.

10 minutes ago, leeneeds said:

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF BIODIESEL?

Biodiesel has many benefits including: 

• Renewable energy source
  • Reduced dependence on foreign oil
  • Reduced exhaust emissions 
  • Enhanced lubricity 
  • Enhanced cetane
  • Enhanced detergency
  • The debate will be in your own interpretation of science facts given out by the  boffins, of knowledge, 
  • For me if it is a cleaner burn it may cost more to make than normal diesel, I am happy to use albeit at government subsidy, and the added lube, it offers internally.

Everything you say above is probably true. But the part all that totally fails to address is the ADDED POLLUTION that the agriculture industry produces in order to grow, harvest and produce the bio products, in that case, palm oil.

You can't just count the reduced tailpipe emissions without also considering the added agricultural emissions IF a country starts growing/producing more palm oil to meet fuel demands.

Archived