Permanent Residency 2019

Hi Everyone,

I have a question relating to PR application, and was wondering if someone who already jumped through these hoops could assist?

Background: Nov-18 I applied for PR @Chaengwattana Section D, in Jun-19 completed the panel interview etc. and recently officers gave me indications I [may] expect approval by Q1-2020. Once approved, it is my understanding next steps will be (a) registration at the police station within 7 days, followed by (b) registration at the Ampur to have my name added onto a tabien baan (no deadline).

Question: I rent a condo, do I need to approach my lessor and ask for his Tabien Baan? He is not always in Thailand so I'd need to plan this carefully. Alternatively, can I simply ask a friend to register on his Tabien Baan instead? If the latter, can this friend be a foreigner with a yellow Tabien Baan (TR13) or must it absolutely be a blue Tabien Baan (TR14)?

I asked these questions to the CW officer who was somewhat evasive, thus I figured it might be a case of "law Vs practice" and first hand experience would be of great help.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,

Thomas

Edited by Thomaslk
fine-tuning grammar on re-lecture.

Mostly correct but there's a first step before registering your name at the local police station. (But it's possible your local small police station cannot record things like this so they will probably direct you to a bigger station where these things are recorded.) At the correct police station this is very simple / very mechanical and should only take 30 minutes, they will give you a red covered police registration book. Take photos with you. This red book (police Registration book) needs to be updated from time to time, ask the police when you have to come back to get this book updated. It's usually after 1 year, then every 5 years after that. Each time you need to take a new photo with you. This is NOT a re-approval situation, there is no interview etc., it's just a mechanical update of the red police book.  

Now back to step 1 - Visit the immigration office and get issued with a Thai PR Residency book, dark blue cover, about the same size as a passport (but it's not a passport), and half the thickness of a passport. Take photos with you.

When you leave Thailand and re-enter Thailand you must present to the Imm. officer your original country passport and your Thai PR Residency book, and the Imm. officer will stamp both books. Don't forget this, if you forget to present your PR book it can become complicated. Also if you have plans to go abroad somewhere this is a good time to get an exit/re-entry stamp which is recorded in your passport and your PR Residency book.

When you do leave or return the Imm. folks prefer that you join the Thai passport line, not the foreigners line.

Keep in mind that you are expected to get all of these steps done quickly.  

Good luck.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You must be registered in blue tambien ban. You can be registered in any blue tambien ban if the head of household  shown in it gives permission. 

If your friend has a yellow tambien ban for a condo he owns he would also have a blue one that you could be registered in.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, kevinmartyn said:

Remember NOT a single thing is guaranteed in Thailand with regards to your PR which i understood was very difficult for a foreigner to obtain unless you are double rich

Investment is just one of the existing categories to be able to obtain PR. There are several others. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kevinmartyn said:

Remember NOT a single thing is guaranteed in Thailand with regards to your PR which i understood was very difficult for a foreigner to obtain unless you are double rich

Yes there are costs, but whether it's worth it is individual opinion.  

Guaranteed  :  it's true you and I both have no guarantee we will wake up tomorrow morning. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thomaslk said:

Thank you all for your answers.

@scorecard Thanks your detailed explanation. So did you also have to bring the original blue tabien baan when you registered at the police station?

good question. It was well over 20 years ago and I forget. My guess is yes I did take the original just in case but that's just an assumption. 

Good luck.

• Like 1