If you think pattaya is dead now .. check out this

banglay

Hi Folks 

Do not want to be one of the doom and gloom Pattaya is dead people ... but check out this site for the Thai baht > UK pound forecast for the next 4 years ..If this is only halfway correct it could be the final nail in Pattaya's coffin ..

The Cheap Charlie will definitely be on the endangered species list if not  totally extinct by 2023

poundf.co.uk/pound-to-baht-forecast-gbp-to-thb

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to start the day with a joke.  '...the final nail in Pattaya's coffin'.  55555.  No coffin that I can see--let alone any nails in it.  Quite laughable that you think Pattaya's robust growth these past years has been because of British tourists and now that the Pound is sinking Pattaya will, too.

In reality, the growth continues.  Several new, large condo projects have been announced to join those already under construction.  Amari's all-suites hotel addition is done and the new Ozo Hotel next door is nearing completion.  Several hotels are remodeling and adding features--such as A-01 on Beach Road.  The city itself is finally doing some infrastructure work.

Recently I mentioned that in Wong Amat near Cape Dara an old low-rise resort on a large tract of land has been bulldozed and cleared.  Drove by yesterday and saw construction fences going up and a sign announcing 'Grande Centre Point 2.  From the photo it's a large high-rise hotel resort project.  I guess Grande Centre Point at T21 is doing so well--even though Pattaya is apparently near death--that another hotel is on the way.  If posters can tear themselves away from Soi 6 and Walking Street they'll see there's a lot positive going on.  

10 minutes ago, newnative said:

Nice to start the day with a joke.  '...the final nail in Pattaya's coffin'.  55555.  No coffin that I can see--let alone any nails in it.  Quite laughable that you think Pattaya's robust growth these past years has been because of British tourists and now that the Pound is sinking Pattaya will, too.

In reality, the growth continues.  Several new, large condo projects have been announced to join those already under construction.  Amari's all-suites hotel addition is done and the new Ozo Hotel next door is nearing completion.  Several hotels are remodeling and adding features--such as A-01 on Beach Road.  The city itself is finally doing some infrastructure work.

Recently I mentioned that in Wong Amat near Cape Dara an old low-rise resort on a large tract of land has been bulldozed and cleared.  Drove by yesterday and saw construction fences going up and a sign announcing 'Grande Centre Point 2.  From the photo it's a large high-rise hotel resort project.  I guess Grande Centre Point at T21 is doing so well--even though Pattaya is apparently near death--that another hotel is on the way.  If posters can tear themselves away from Soi 6 and Walking Street they'll see there's a lot positive going on.  

Easy on the growth stories.  Our resident bar stool economists may burst a blood vessel, their corn-holes are already clenched tighter than the knees on a Vietnamese college student.

5 minutes ago, newnative said:

Quite laughable that you think Pattaya's robust growth these past years has been because of British tourists and now that the Pound is sinking Pattaya will, too.

Yes, the number of expats in all of Thailand is around 70,000.  Tourism brings in 30 million + people every year.  Estimates from TAT say 12-20% of GDP is from tourism. 

Expats contribution to GDP is negligible, not even close to 1%

Money spent by tourists is exponentially higher than any expat group/nationality.  

The expat community in pattaya,( not all) tend to be getting on in age, and I really don't see them spending vast amounts. Basically surviving.  The new tourist demographic is changing, squeezing out these people won't change much. Contrary to the people on this forum thinking that the western expats rule pattaya will have a rude awakining. The little people are slowly taking over. 

Best learn some Mandarin, swaheely, and sharpen up on your chop stick skills.

These types of posts crop up somewhat regularly where the doom of Pattaya is pegged to the strength of Brit representation there. Is the city's economy really that dependent on British tourists and Brit expat pensions? I'd have to think it's more ethnically diverse than that, but I have to confess that although living 15 minutes away from it for many years, I spent little time there and took even less interest in the place. 

2 hours ago, kingdong said:

It was 35baht =£1 in 1997,then what happened? You can only blow up a balloon so much till it explodes in your face.

people have short memories, or no memories at all of that time. It went back up to 72 or so if I recall. 

There are still lots of punters around.  There will never be enough for the bars/girls but there are still lots of them around considering it's low season.  I think the new visa rules probably have a lot to do with it too.  So maybe not as much Euro trash around living on a low budget. 

I certainly won't miss them and there are still lots of bars/girls making good money.  It's probably the ones that were catering to some of these budget people and were not doing so great to begin with that are probably struggling more now.

32 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

The expat community in pattaya,( not all) tend to be getting on in age, and I really don't see them spending vast amounts. Basically surviving.  The new tourist demographic is changing, squeezing out these people won't change much. Contrary to the people on this forum thinking that the western expats rule pattaya will have a rude awakining. The little people are slowly taking over. 

Best learn some Mandarin, swaheely, and sharpen up on your chop stick skills.

I agree, but many think nothing will change here.  Their local will always be open.  Well, some will be in for a shock, especially when some of the larger, well know establishments start to close. 

There is a decline in western tourists here, plus an aging expat community that is not being replaced by the next generation of retirees.

Many quote figures on GDP and the revenue from expats etc, but at the local level, you can already see the changes.

Hua Hin is starting to pick up as we get near the start of high season.

Based on the numbers I see around me everyday now I am thinking there will be many tourists here in HH this season. 

And I think the same for Pattaya. You just can't see them from where you normally vomit in the street. 

2 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Basically sucks for those economies stuck in a rut.  Don't see the impact on Pattaya, doubt they will miss a few cheap charlies cluttering up the bars.

Does that include the Brit retirees that will no longer be able to afford to live here? 

to many people on here seem to be looking at the bar scene in Pattaya 

plenty of quality tourists are not interested in drinking in bars ect 

plenty of places  to visit other than Pattaya  in Thailand 

once the Brits get Brexit sorted out the pound will rise and the Brits will come back ?

Archived