If you think pattaya is dead now .. check out this

banglay

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, morrobay said:

Went by Starbucks on Beach rd. @ Soi 13/1 at 11 am today. Zero customers outside, inside and on top. 

Good. It means people are discerning. Why would anyone travel to Thailand to visit a dreadful yank franchise. However, I expect it will be busy at the weekend, especially with Thais.

4 minutes ago, wobblyjohn said:

I was there in 97 when you right it DID hit 97 but only one day I think, when I changed some cash at bkb, the next day it started to drop back down

It was actually at it's highest in Jan '98

But there was a difference in the official rate and the rate that you received on the ground.

The US$ high was 56.5 baht....in Jan. '98. So it stands to reason that the £ would have been at the same time.

17 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Good. It means people are discerning. Why would anyone travel to Thailand to visit a dreadful yank franchise. However, I expect it will be busy at the weekend, especially with Thais.

Some Starbucks seem to do pretty well.  When I went by the Starbucks in T21 the other day it was pretty busy in the early afternoon on a weekday.  That mall is really busy on weekends so it must be pretty busy at that time as well.

I think the beach Rd Starbucks near Royal Garden is pretty busy earlier on in the morning, as is the one in Avenue.  It was not that busy around noon today but hardly completely empty all the time as one poster here seem to be trying to imply for some strange reason.

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

All things considered, would you buy a condo in today's market, and if so, when do you think you would be able to flip it for a profit, and if not, why not?

Would I buy a condo in today's market?  My partner and I just did a couple weeks ago.   If we were doing this new condo as a flip and not to live in, the careful and detailed renovation would take about 3 months depending on the custom work and we would hope to sell at a profit within 9 months after the finish.  I think we would make a profit due to a number of factors too long and detailed to list here.

There are a lot of condos for sale in Pattaya but few that we would consider buying--something we reaffirmed when searching for the condo we just bought.  We always buy a condo we personally would be happy living in--as we often have before selling. I think today's market is more difficult than past years.  We buy a condo much more slowly and more carefully than we used to after doing a lot more homework first.  

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

Some Starbucks seem to do pretty well.  When I went by the Starbucks in T21 the other day it was pretty busy in the early afternoon on a weekday.  That mall is really busy on weekends so it must be pretty busy at that time as well.

I think the beach Rd Starbucks near Royal Garden is pretty busy earlier on in the morning, as is the one in Avenue.  It was not that busy around noon today but hardly completely empty all the time as one poster here seem to be trying to imply for some strange reason.

Yes that Starbucks on beach-road are pretty busy at times, I think some like to sit there and watch the world pass by and also the one in T21 have its fair share of customers.

I myself stopped going to SB a long time ago since I am a tea drinker and never thinks coffee. I also thinks the prices in SB are heavily inflated and not worth it. 

On 9/30/2019 at 10:31 AM, Leaver said:

So, now's the time for you to buy a cheap bar / restaurant / guest house in Pattaya, and sit back and wait for the next "economic phase."  Right?  ????

Made over $130k profit turning townhouses in Pattaya this year.  While I don’t suggest newbie investors follow this path, I will point out that your repetitive gloom and doom prediction is idiotic and frankly seems self-serving.

2 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Yes that Starbucks on beach-road are pretty busy at times, I think some like to sit there and watch the world pass by and also the one in T21 have its fair share of customers.

I myself stopped going to SB a long time ago since I am a tea drinker and never thinks coffee. I also thinks the prices in SB are heavily inflated and not worth it. 

I like to use small places that would really benefit from my; and others; custom. There is one at the new food court in Avenue Mall, on the left as you go in. Buy a voucher first from the booth. Nice coffee and way cheaper than SB. Also there is a nice place just as you leave Big C supermarket on the ground floor at Central Marina. They have 2 English language newspapers to read as you drink your coffee.

3 hours ago, JamJar said:

It was actually at it's highest in Jan '98

But there was a difference in the official rate and the rate that you received on the ground.

The US$ high was 56.5 baht....in Jan. '98. So it stands to reason that the £ would have been at the same time.

Yep, the pound hit 90 baht around 12th Jan 1998

https://fxtop.com/en/historical-currency-converter.php?A=1&C1=GBP&C2=THB&DD=12&MM=01&YYYY=1998&B=1&P=&I=1&btnOK=Go!

8 hours ago, shdmn said:

Weird all that you see are shops full with customers  but hotelowners are saying business is bad.

8 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Why would anyone travel to Thailand to visit a dreadful yank franchise. 

Good question, I guess so they can put on a few more kilograms: Hooters, McDonald's, the pizza places. And  a lot of these fat food places replaced the much missed Bookazine book stores. On Beach rd, and in Jomtien... Can't blame that on the Chinese and Indians. 

Forecasting exchange rates is as accurate as economists forecasting the 2008 financial crash, or analysts forecasting company profits. It won't be just Pattaya that will suffer though if this does come to pass. All of the Thai economy will implode as exports will become too expensive for anyone to buy. 

15 hours ago, Leaver said:

The buying is not the issue. There's an over supply here, and many distressed vendors.  The issue is selling it for a profit, or even being able to sell it at all. 

Well I just demonstrated a scenario of a bottom feed that made money. Of course there is both a buyer and a seller involved there. When you say there is an over supply here, you have to factor in a large number of those are NEW, being sold off plan (to more wary buyers), or as turnkey and hence at very inflated prices. I suggest the second hand market is not so stressed. Buy well and there are opportunities.

Archived