One eye very blurry vision when I woke up today

bbi1

I woke up with my left eye having very blurry vision. It's been like that for about an hour. Everywhere I look with that eye it's blurry, like my eyesight has suddenly become very bad in that eye. I was sleeping on my left side with the pillow on that side of my face. Has anyone experienced anything like that? Should I go see an eye doctor and if so, any recommendations in Pattaya?

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, you should see an opthalmologist. Most hospitals have one or more

In descending order of both vost and convenience:

Bangkok Pattaya Hospital
Pattaya International Hospital
Pattaya Memorial Hospital
Pattaya City Hospital (I'm not certain opthalmologist here)

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks. Actually, seems my vision in my left eye has returned back to normal now, or maybe near normal. Maybe it's not necessary to see a doctor if it's back to normal?

Does anyone know if the temporary cause of vision blurryness could be from sleeping on the side with the pillow pressing on the eye when asleep? I have a feeling that maybe my eyelid was being pressed by the pillow when sleeping. Has something similar happened to anyone else when sleeping like that then waking up?

It could also have been a reaction to the onset of heavy smog hereabouts... Which can irritate your eye surfaces and cause accumulation of secretions while you sleep. And then when you first wake up, your eyes have a film of the secretions over them that causes blurry vision and irritation. But then being up and then blinking is eventually going to help clear that stuff off the surface of your eyes.  Good quality eye drops can help as well. That's just one possibility....

Does anyone know if the temporary cause of vision blurryness could be from sleeping on the side with the pillow pressing on the eye when asleep? I have a feeling that maybe my eyelid was being pressed by the pillow when sleeping. Has something similar happened to anyone else when sleeping like that then waking up?

Blurred vision can be caused by dry eyes, maybe you somehow slept with your eye partially open

36 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Blurred vision can be caused by dry eyes, maybe you somehow slept with your eye partially open

Yes, I had the same. Rutnin Eye hospital checked and everything was perfect. I really have the problem, that somehow I sleep with open eyes. And with older age the eyes dry out faster.

But I would still go to see a doctor, as maybe you have something else. A short doctor visit is not expensive and the eyes are important.

I don't know if this is related, but out of nowhere when I entered a shopping centre the other week from the carpark my right eye started to get blurry with black shadows, best I can describe them, floating around whenever I moved my right eye.

Looked it up on the internet later after seeing a pharmacist at the shopping centre who had (no idea), but was 100% certain it was from using the computer too much, yeh right, anyway internet referred to it as Visual Floaters and is normal as we age, it's a gel that breaks away and floats around in the eye, hence the black shadows, blurriness, and will go away by itself later, that said, it could also get worse, so best go and see someone who checks eyes out, I am, when I return to the home country this week, just as a precaution.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I don't know if this is related, but out of nowhere when I entered a shopping centre the other week from the carpark my right eye started to get blurry with black shadows, best I can describe them, floating around whenever I moved my right eye.

Looked it up on the internet later after seeing a pharmacist at the shopping centre who had (no idea), but was 100% certain it was from using the computer too much, yeh right, anyway internet referred to it as Visual Floaters and is normal as we age, it's a gel that breaks away and floats around in the eye, hence the black shadows, blurriness, and will go away by itself later, that said, it could also get worse, so best go and see someone who checks eyes out, I am, when I return to the home country this week, just as a precaution.

get the eye looked at. could be the start of a serious condition, did you see a really bright flash

I had simillar but with some form of silvery flickering oval circle and when i close my eyes it is still visible, was told that it could be a warning sighn of a pending stroke and was advised to eat bananas of all things perhaps a lack of pottasium ?? erm excuse typos if any. Cant be arsed googling the word .

12 hours ago, steve187 said:

get the eye looked at. could be the start of a serious condition, did you see a really bright flash

Yeh thanks booked in next Tuesday to see the Optometrist.

No big flash, is better now, cleared up, although sometimes at night if driving and I look to the right I might see a white line, up and down for a second.

I am a "bit" of a hypochondriac and will go into a private at warp speed if I think anything is bad, although tend to research first and if it sounds like it's not bad and is improving then I will still get it checked, as I am doing.

Whilst there is a topic running about eyes....

My left eye has been watering for the past 3 weeks, constantly !! Not flowing but just a constant weeping.

I will make an appointment to see a doctor this week but in the meantime, anyone experienced the same or know what might be the cause ??

See an opthamologist immediately.. I had a similar thing.. it did clear up eventually but I did have some retinal damage.  In a darkened room if you move your eye from left to right and back again and see flashes it could indicate retinal damage. 

You should still visit a qualified opthalmologist asap.

As others have posted there are numerous possible reasons for loss of vision temporary or long term.

Mine ( floater ) started with TIA's.   However a major stroke did not cause more damage, but the sight in one eye suddenly became worse for no apparent reason.

I use natural therapies, eye exercise and massage, it helps.

Try sleeping on your back, not sure of your age but sleeping on your side can put a lot of pressure on knee joints and leg bones.

Hope all goes well.

You could have new biggish floaters, many years back I had the same thing happen, which eventually led to a detached retina..

You must go see a guy/gal with all the apparatus to do a in depth eye examination for your own peace of mind...

The eye clinic at www.Siphhospital.com in BKK were great in my case for a top notch exam that cost less than 2000bht. You must make an appointment and register at the hozzy, which takes 10 minutes..

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yeh thanks booked in next Tuesday to see the Optometrist.

No big flash, is better now, cleared up, although sometimes at night if driving and I look to the right I might see a white line, up and down for a second.

I am a "bit" of a hypochondriac and will go into a private at warp speed if I think anything is bad, although tend to research first and if it sounds like it's not bad and is improving then I will still get it checked, as I am doing.

i saw a bright flash one morning walking down the stairs, end result was a detached retina. had op at ''EENT hospital''  Bangkok, very good. sight perfect now.( well as good as it was before)

you have to visit some ophthalmologist
maybe not today but as soon as possible

and next time if you or anyone has sudden visual loss on one eye please go visit ophthalmologist or emergency deparment immediately.

there are several medical condition that are life threatening ( or sight threatening ) that can cause this symptom

On 9/30/2019 at 2:04 PM, bbi1 said:

Thanks. Actually, seems my vision in my left eye has returned back to normal now, or maybe near normal. Maybe it's not necessary to see a doctor if it's back to normal?

I always get vision problem in one of either eye just before I get a migraine attack.  Do you suffer from migraines?  Sometimes it's so bad I loose nearly all sight in the affected eye for over an hour.  

One time the vision did not return all day.  I went to hospital and was diagnoses with in inflamed optic nerve.  It took over a month before my eye got better and it was quite scary thinking I could be blind in that eye.  The distorted vision and colours actually made me feel physically sick.

Now each time I get the eye problem before I migraine I panic thinking its the optic nerve thing again.  

OP, whatever your eye problem was, I think you should go see a doctor and check it out to be on the safe side, and perhaps catch anything serious in the early stages where it can be cured, rather than thing everything is OK, and take a gamble with your sight.  

Now each time I get the eye problem before I migraine I panic thinking its the optic nerve thing again.  

You seem to be referring to the aura migraine sufferers get. Panicking doesn't help, try to stay relaxed and allow the aura to come and go. Many\most people over react with migraines which can make it worse.

At the onset of a migraine i continue with whatever I'm doing, I don't make a drama out of it, I don't even mention it to anyone I'm with, over the years this action has helped symptoms get less and less and more infrequent migraines now

On 9/30/2019 at 7:25 PM, steve187 said:

Yes, yes, yes, if there is a bright flash the cornea is dislodged must quickly go see an ophthalmologist.

When I went to see the Ophthalmologist he said if that happened it's bad must immediately see the doctor.

At this point we have had multiple posts by different people about completely different eye problems:

OP with blurred vision (not loss of vision) in one eye on awkening which cleared up completely later in the day

Someone else with new onset of large floaters

Someone else with watering eyes

And people recslling past episodes of retinal detachment

It is impossible at this point to kerp this different issues straight or even figure out which one podters are replying to so I am closing it. Please start new threads as needed and please try to keep them confined to one problem. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived