Laptop Speakers have stopped working

trevor67

I get no sound out of my laptop speakers, but if I plug in headphones or outer speakers,

I get sound. I have run the troubleshooter but that doesn't fix it. This problem seemed

to have happened after the last last big win 10 update, but that may just be a coincidence.

Anyone have any ideas before I take it in to the repair shop?

Lenovo, Ideapad  Z710.

Thanks.

21 minutes ago, trevor67 said:

I tried everything, did not fix it....as my sound jack works, I'm guessing its a wire or connection to the internal speakers which has failed.

On which Windows # you are on ….. don't tell me Win 7 as then no surprise ...????

1 hour ago, trevor67 said:

I tried everything, did not fix it....as my sound jack works, I'm guessing its a wire or connection to the internal speakers which has failed.

i doubt that a wire has come loose, ill be a driver or a setting

what windows are you using

Since speakers plugged in still work it's most likely a hardware fault. There is a mechanical switch of some sort at the socket that disconnects the internal speakers when you put a plug in. My guess is that it is that switch.

Take a trip to a computer fix-it man. Beware: make a complete backup (you should have one, anyway), as I have had computers wiped and pirated Thai Windows installed (twice!), complete with bloat ware when all they had to fix was the power supply. When I asked them where my data was all I got was a blank look...

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I went to TUKCOM to the very good repair shop UP2You. I have been using them for 13 yrs. Anyways turned out it was hardware problem and would have to replace the motherboard @3500baht. I passed and will buy a small usb speaker for when I travel (any recommendations?)

Also UP2you did not charge me for the service.....great shop and service.

On 9/30/2019 at 7:32 PM, KhunBENQ said:

This one?:

https://www.guidingtech.com/no-sound-issue-windows-10-update/

Thanks for the warning. Still not on 1903 :smile:

Probably not by coincidence.

No problems with the 1903 so far on three machines. 

OP, go to Device manager by right clicking the Window sign, then go to Sound, Video and Game Controller, right click and update all drivers.

But first check if you've accidentally switched your speakers off at your keyboard. 

Screenshot (340).png

2 hours ago, trevor67 said:

I went to TUKCOM to the very good repair shop UP2You. I have been using them for 13 yrs. Anyways turned out it was hardware problem and would have to replace the motherboard @3500baht. I passed and will buy a small usb speaker for when I travel (any recommendations?)

It can't be a great shop if they can't fix your motherboard. I have my technician who'll come to me to get such stuff sorted out.

The main, or motherboard of a notebook isn't more difficult to fix than the one of an intelligent TV.  

A few re-soldering points might do the trick. 

On 10/1/2019 at 4:18 PM, beddhist said:

Since speakers plugged in still work it's most likely a hardware fault. There is a mechanical switch of some sort at the socket that disconnects the internal speakers when you put a plug in. My guess is that it is that switch.

Take a trip to a computer fix-it man. Beware: make a complete backup (you should have one, anyway), as I have had computers wiped and pirated Thai Windows installed (twice!), complete with bloat ware when all they had to fix was the power supply. When I asked them where my data was all I got was a blank look...

Good luck!

I hope that you're using Macrium, a free software for private users from the UK. It's always updated that it works with Windows' new updates.

Fast and very reliable. https://www.macrium.com/

2 hours ago, trevor67 said:

I bought a USB speaker, it's sound is much better than the built-in speaker. These speakers are small and don't need a separate power cord.

I bought it at my computer city plaza. 

Archived