Chiang Mai Smog

ROGER DUNN

Greenside is misinformed.

The air quality is already in September double the WHO levels for PM2,5 particles and we are not yet even close to the so-called burning season. And of course there are no signs that the Governor is even in Chiang Mai. Last we heard he was in Shanghai learning how to create clean air rooms. Kind of strikes me that he has little intention of dealing with the source of the pollution because it us caused by big business interests, but as per last season he will try to use minimalist palliative initiatives to gain positive press coverage whilst the majority are poisoned even inside their own homes. The most egregious behaviour of a weak administration.

6 minutes ago, mjnaus said:

Came back from Chiang Mai yesterday after spending the weekend. Air quality was pretty bad (US AQI hover between 120 - 150); without any clear explanation why... 

Where were you travelling from? Presently the entire northern part of Thailand from Bangkok up is suffering from similar smog levels and it doesn't improve until you get south of Hua Hin. 

https://www.airvisual.com/

14 hours ago, brommers said:

Greenside is misinformed.

The air quality is already in September double the WHO levels for PM2,5 particles and we are not yet even close to the so-called burning season. And of course there are no signs that the Governor is even in Chiang Mai. Last we heard he was in Shanghai learning how to create clean air rooms. Kind of strikes me that he has little intention of dealing with the source of the pollution because it us caused by big business interests, but as per last season he will try to use minimalist palliative initiatives to gain positive press coverage whilst the majority are poisoned even inside their own homes. The most egregious behaviour of a weak administration.

The only person misinformed is you. 

The governor retired yesterday for starters and has been doing farewell ceremonies in CM for the last week, he was in a Shanghai about a month ago and while there is a bit a smog around at the moment the air has been good since the the middle of May - statistically good. 

https://www.facebook.com/aqichiangmai/app/190322544333196/?hc_location=ufi

People harvested the longans so now they are burning the leaves. And no more rain, that's what make the air not as good as 1 month ago. Now 74 in Chiang Dao, 90 average in CM. In December normally it shouldn't be bad. At least it wasn't the last 10 years ! Come and see ;)

5 hours ago, mjnaus said:

Came back from Chiang Mai yesterday after spending the weekend. Air quality was pretty bad (US AQI hover between 120 - 150); without any clear explanation why... 

Locals burn black garbage bags every night instead of paying some baht to have them taken away.

2 hours ago, lordblackader said:

The only person misinformed is you.

No no.. I am also misinformed on so many things... as is the general public at large... I think most people are misinformed about most things... not just whoever you were insulting.... 

7 hours ago, mjnaus said:

There has been explanations on the current smoke haze in CM ( not just the city, it's worse in the districts east of CM ) on the news on several tv stations and that is that some of it is being caused by the smoke from the forest fires in Indonesia but MOST of it is coming from Cambodia where they are in the midst of their burning season.

looking at historical data (1year only) each Sept as the rainy season moves on south, the aqi here in CM starts moving up.  Since 3 weeks ago it did just that and seems to move a bit higher each day.  Currently the reading throughout the city vary from 90's to 200+  and it usually goes higher through the night.  From last year's chart, this will probably continue (unless a lot of farmers start burning early) until mid January and from then till May will be very unhealthy, rivaling the worse cities of the world!

44 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

There has been explanations on the current smoke haze in CM ( not just the city, it's worse in the districts east of CM ) on the news on several tv stations and that is that some of it is being caused by the smoke from the forest fires in Indonesia but MOST of it is coming from Cambodia where they are in the midst of their burning season.

Yes it is cambodia,laos and myanmar

download.png

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

Forest burning smog from Indonesia may be of some influence to the deeper south, but no way for the rest of the country.

If you take a look at sites like Ventusky you might have seen that winds like in Chiang Mai were mostly east in September rather than the usual south-west. There wasn't even a loophole, let's say, from Indonesia up north to Manilla and then with some tornado back to Thailand. So Cambodski and Laos make more sense.

Edit: As of this month wind in CM is again south-west. Let's see what happens.

From an air pollution perspective, December traditionally is the beginning of the lead-up to the bad smog season in CM that really gets bad into the new year. Whether it will be worse this year and start earlier or not remains to be seen.

1124791665_2019-10-0117_26_46.jpg.a2ecde1e3faa9c10ba248e850db10b83.jpg

http://berkeleyearth.lbl.gov/air-quality/local/Thailand/Chiang_Mai

8 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Where were you travelling from? Presently the entire northern part of Thailand from Bangkok up is suffering from similar smog levels and it doesn't improve until you get south of Hua Hin. 

https://www.airvisual.com/

The deep south; which fortunately currently has rather clean air (after dealing with horrible smog from Indonesia for several weeks)

40 minutes ago, mjnaus said:

The deep south; which fortunately currently has rather clean air (after dealing with horrible smog from Indonesia for several weeks)

Lucky man. I spend each April south of Hua Hin and never look forward to the day I have to head north.

Not sure where these negative comments originate. We’ve been in Chiangmai for two months now, the first two weeks in Nimman and the last six in Hang Dong.

We’ve seen no evidence of smog. Air quality is good.

Yes, it rains during the monsoon season. How can smoke pollution survive the drenching rain?

We love Chiangmai. What’s not to like?

Jackie and Terry (retirees from Australia)

Not sure where these negative comments originate. We’ve been in Chiangmai for two months now, the first two weeks in Nimman and the last six in Hang Dong.
We’ve seen no evidence of smog. Air quality is good.
Yes, it rains during the monsoon season. How can smoke pollution survive the drenching rain?
We love Chiangmai. What’s not to like?
Jackie and Terry (retirees from Australia)

Just because you don’t see the air pollution (and seriously, I was in CM over the weekend and the smog was clearly visible in the city and around the airport), doesn’t mean it isn’t there. Open the AirVisual app, or any pollution map really, and you’ll see the high AQI index numbers. The worst pollution, PM 2.5 particles, aren’t visible...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I think most people are misinformed about most things... 

But, the satisfaction I have knowing my misinformation is more misinformed than yours ... we can't quantify that in terms of particle size ... can we ?

~o:37;

Archived