Chiang Mai Smog

ROGER DUNN

if your concerned about this dont even come to thailand, the air will be terrible in both bangkok and chiang mai during that time. if your going to come and take the chance then go to both if you want, it doesnt really matter.

14 hours ago, Jackie Malone said:

Not sure where these negative comments originate. We’ve been in Chiangmai for two months now, the first two weeks in Nimman and the last six in Hang Dong.

We’ve seen no evidence of smog. Air quality is good.

Yes, it rains during the monsoon season. How can smoke pollution survive the drenching rain?

We love Chiangmai. What’s not to like?

Jackie and Terry (retirees from Australia)

light or moderate rain will do nothing for pm2.5 particles. even a very heavy rain will only reduce it about 5-10%. 

14 hours ago, Jackie Malone said:

Not sure where these negative comments originate. We’ve been in Chiangmai for two months now, the first two weeks in Nimman and the last six in Hang Dong.

We’ve seen no evidence of smog. Air quality is good.

The CM air quality as measured by PM2.5 WAS good, well, or at least OK, up until the last week of September...

But starting the last week of September, things got quite bad in some areas, as you can see from the chart below: Red is unhealthy for all, orange is unhealthy for sensitive groups, yellow is moderate, green is good.

806722141_2019-10-0213_03_20.jpg.3b6804e529c3f214027da55801893f90.jpg

http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chiang-mai-university-mae-hia/

It is good now again after the storm.

Weather and luck are always the reasons for a return to good air quality.

Some of you want to wait whether 2020 will be worse than last year. How will you know? AQI measures "only" to 999 as far as I know, and we had routinely 400-800 on many days this year.

Is it possible to measure more accurately? "999" is just not enough for that measuring stations. Also there needs to be another level after "hazardous" or above 999. Maybe "hospitalization"?

For all those who are convinced there was no smoke in the last few days, good for you. I am happy for you, you are happy, no need to fight.

On 10/1/2019 at 8:28 AM, Thailand said:

Burning has already started in the province.

I believe that you are correct that burning has already begun in late September and early October.  It's not just that the AQI has sometimes been over 120 to 130, but it's that in the evenings one can smell the burning whatever it is, probably trees or something.

One cannot change the situation, yet one can prepare for it psychologically and morally, as well as technologically.

Are there any reputable sources which explain why we are smelling smoke near the university at this earlier date?

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Some people worry around Chiang Mai air quality 2-3 months a year.

Fortunately for many, they can, through ThaiVisa, worry about it all year round.

In the past year, the air was seriously unhealthy (red AQI levels) to breath in CM 3 to 4 months out of the 12 month period. In the past year, the air was seriously unhealthy for less than 2 month out of the 12 month period.

I'd say having unhealthy air for almost one-third of the entire year is cause for worry/concern, unless residents plan to vacate Chiang Mai, or go the full-on masks and purifiers route, for months at a time.

Chiang Mai:

554030711_2019-10-0518_28_16.jpg.031c2d0d660c98190c07f68ccc040313.jpg

Bangkok:

2128193374_2019-10-0518_27_41.jpg.f74ecaa8d5e730350cb6fcd5f97d5c68.jpg

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In the past year, the air was seriously unhealthy (red AQI levels) to breath in CM 3 to 4 months out of the 12 month period. In the past year, the air was seriously unhealthy for less than 2 month out of the 12 month period.

I'd say having unhealthy air for almost one-third of the entire year is cause for worry/concern, unless residents plan to vacate Chiang Mai, or go the full-on masks and purifiers route, for months at a time.

Chiang Mai:

554030711_2019-10-0518_28_16.jpg.031c2d0d660c98190c07f68ccc040313.jpg

Bangkok:

2128193374_2019-10-0518_27_41.jpg.f74ecaa8d5e730350cb6fcd5f97d5c68.jpg

Does it make you feel better to spend your waking hours despairing over that which you have no control? Oh! What joy to devote your time to gathering facts and charts and figures that show how unhealthy you can be if you stay! 

Hey... I'll let you in on a little secret... Want to be healthier? .....Leave.

Your problem is solved. You don't have to shove your charts down everyone's throats any more. Our problem solved too.

28 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

OP December should be fine.

Do not listen to the negative obsessed (probably not calibrated) machine junkies.

Come here and enjoy life and have a good time. December is actually one of the better months.

November and December are perfect for long motorcycle rides in the north. Even January is pleasant. February... I'll wear an N95 mask for a few weeks.  Oh what horror...  Then it's back to business as usual, enjoying life in Chiang Mai.

10 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Does it make you feel better to spend your waking hours despairing over that which you have no control? Oh! What joy to devote your time to gathering facts and charts and figures that show how unhealthy you can be if you stay! 

Hey... I'll let you in on a little secret... Want to be healthier? .....Leave.

Your problem is solved. You don't have to shove your charts down everyone's throats any more. Our problem solved too.

November and December are perfect for long motorcycle rides in the north. Even January is pleasant. February... I'll wear an N95 mask for a few weeks.  Oh what horror...  Then it's back to business as usual, enjoying life in Chiang Mai.

You've obviously missed the fact that I don't live in CM, never have, and certainly would not now under the current air pollution environment there. So I'm not despairing about anything CM related. Perhaps you might have found a clue of my location in my TVF ID....

But since the OP asked for info on the smog details for CM at a certain times of the year, I'd say the chart I posted above for the past 12 months of CM pretty well answers that question. And I don't need to be a CM resident in order to factually answer his question.

Instead of throwing out a lot of personal opinions one way or the other without any supporting documentation.

You're more than welcome to be the chief apologist for all of CM's various troubles. It's not a role I'm interested to play at all.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You've obviously missed the fact that I don't live in CM, never have, and certainly would not now under the current air pollution environment there. So I'm not despairing about anything CM related. Perhaps you might have found a clue of my location in my TVF ID....

Frankly, I didn't pay any attention to your ID. I really don't care where you live. What I do see is that by being active in the air pollution threads, and gathering charts and statistics, you seem to take joy in showing how miserable life can be for people, under the guise of 'being helpful.'  That's pretty much all I need to know about you.

36 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Frankly, I didn't pay any attention to your ID. I really don't care where you live. What I do see is that by being active in the air pollution threads, and gathering charts and statistics, you seem to take joy in showing how miserable life can be for people, under the guise of 'being helpful.'  That's pretty much all I need to know about you.

Legitimate information doesn't make people miserable, just makes them informed.

You're the one into the whole miserable, despair thing -- not me.  But unlike me, you do seem to pretty darned cranky on the subject of CM's seasonally lousy air.

10 hours ago, amykat said:

Wow, Folk Guitar, are some cracks forming in your overly optimistic positivity aura??  Having a bit of a meltdown??

No, no meltdown. Just amazed that people can spend so much time, and get so much joy complaining about the weather. Most people don't like listening to complaints... the same complaints... over and over again. (Note that I said 'most' people. Obviously there are a few who do. After all, misery loves company.)

I could understand it if they were forming a group to actually do something about it, and were recruiting people for it. Hell, I'd even join!  But just to complain again and again and again? To post basically just to say 'I'm leaving Chiang Mai,'  or 'I'd never live there?' Who cares? Don't like it? Don't come. The complaints don't solve anything.

36 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

No, no meltdown. Just amazed that people can spend so much time, and get so much joy complaining about the weather. Most people don't like listening to complaints... the same complaints... over and over again. (Note that I said 'most' people. Obviously there are a few who do. After all, misery loves company.)

I could understand it if they were forming a group to actually do something about it, and were recruiting people for it. Hell, I'd even join!  But just to complain again and again and again? To post basically just to say 'I'm leaving Chiang Mai,'  or 'I'd never live there?' Who cares? Don't like it? Don't come. The complaints don't solve anything.

Kop-in-Zand.jpg

57 minutes ago, chaila said:

Kop-in-Zand.jpg

Which is probably preferable to keeping one's head looking into a toilet, right? But the choice is yours...

But I'm not advocating ignoring the problem. I'm suggesting not complaining about it all the time. Complaining about the weather is like complaining about the tide. You aren't going to change it by complaining.

14 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Which is probably preferable to keeping one's head looking into a toilet, right? But the choice is yours...

But I'm not advocating ignoring the problem. I'm suggesting not complaining about it all the time. Complaining about the weather is like complaining about the tide. You aren't going to change it by complaining.

The weather?  who is complaining about the weather?  

2 minutes ago, daoyai said:

The weather?  who is complaining about the weather?  

Right... Air quality has nothing to do with weather. As if, people don't pray for Rainy Season to begin to wash away the smog...

If you need to split hairs about terminology, enjoy yourself.

However, here in ThaiVisa, people do complain if it's too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry, and of course, too smoggy. After all, what else do they have to do with their time? Or yours?

Meanwhile, as it's a beautiful day, it's time to turn off the computer and go outside to play!

Archived