Starting Insurance while on SETV

gk10002000

I am ready to punch out of work in the USA.  When I leave work and "retire" I can get USA medical insurance via Medicare when I am 65.  I can also buy Insurance once I leave work here in the USA but some plans are a bit pricey especially ones compatible with the features my work coverage has.  Yes I can get COBRA for about 18 months I think, but again that is a bit pricey.  I guess that coverage may actually be usable over in Thailand but would have some out of network costs and stuff.  I will look into that.     I am 62 1/2.  I will be spending a lot of time in Thailand so I am considering getting Health Insurance in Thailand.    If I arrive on an SETV with 60 days and then 30 days extension, how easy is it to setup getting Bupha or whatever plan I am considering?  I will be staying in a hotel, and not really any permanent Thai address.  I don't plan on having any sort of Thai bank setup, Thai debit card or Thai credit card, at least not initially.   So I am wondering how they would handle that?  Do they mail paper statements or forms or claim stuff?  Would any address I use have to match anything I provide to immigration or on some TM form? 

Now I may then convert the SETV to a Non Imm O since except for paperwork and a bit of travel may be slightly easier than getting all the stuff done in the USA via a OA visa.

Now I may decide to get a Non Imm OA visa before leaving the USA.  That is relatively easy and give me one year, and then apparently a second year if I leave and then re-enter Thailand before the initial one year is up.  In that case I would have almost two years access to Thailand. 

Anyway, any comments on how easy it is to setup and pay or use say bupha plans for example if starting on a SETV?  What sort of payment will they accept, US credit card would be my preferred choice as I get the points!  But I would happily deposit cash in some Thai agency or get a Thai money order and mail in a payment, or if I had to, transfer funds or schedule electronic payment form my USA bank account.  Not sure my Etrade checking allows for setting up foreign payments as I do for some USA bills.  I will check on that

• 3 weeks later...

For any insurer worth dealing with Application, payment etc all easily done online but there is an advantage to working through a broker as they can help with claims. That can be done through email.  No problem paying by US credit card.

See the info on insurers approved for OA visa pinned in the Health forum. 

Archived