Pattaya attitude...

bigrobtheactor

I was just there last month.  14th trip I think since 2004.  I found the girls attitude about the same as before.  I found the hotel "manager's" attitudes much worse than before.  Not my fault business was slow and you still try and charge a lot when your hotel is 1/4 full.    Local bars and thai places were OK.  Some farang owned places such as restaurants have changed a lot but I didn't see any issues with any of the ladies.  Maybe because I am viewed as a more available and possibly well off ATM now?  The ladyboys are a bit more aggressive and will accost you a bit more as you try and walk by them. 

There is a seasonal sourness that is apparent at the end of the high season. This is the same in all tourist resorts around the world. By April many Thais have had enougj but after the coup many Thais, especially,  the Issan service staff were depressed and demoralised...and who can blame them? Nobody wants to live with a jackboot on their neck,  in debt, and no way to change the corrupt regime. I try to be extra kind  courteous and generous to make them feel better.

erratta

I was just there last month.  14th trip I think since 2004.  I found the girls attitude about the same as before.  I found the hotel "manager's" attitudes much worse than before.  Not my fault business was slow and you still try and charge a lot when your hotel is 1/4 full.    Local bars and thai places were OK.  Some farang owned places such as restaurants have changed a lot but I didn't see any issues with any of the ladies.  Maybe because I am viewed as a more available and possibly well off ATM now?  The ladyboys are a bit more aggressive and will accost you a bit more as you try and walk by them. 

Terminal 21 is worth a walk around.  Frankly I would rather they still had the old KISS restaurant there as I don't need any more malls.  But it was OK and in retrospect I should have bought a pair of Keene Newport walking sandals as the sales price was as good and with more variety as I am seeing here in San Diego CA area.  I may be there in Christmas and will pick up a pair.  Movie prices and popcorn and soda have crept up in price.  Not quite as bad as the $7 USD popcorn and soda prices some USA theaters charge but still almost at the obscene and greedy price range.

Walking street is often packed with lookee loos large chinese tour groups that are led there but do not go into any of the gogos.  Tons more Indian restaurants, which is OK except they all serve about the same stuff. 

At BKK you will see dozens and dozens of Chinese tour groups in groups of about 15 or so being led by a band leader holding a flag with their tour group or number or ID thing.   Immigration on arrival was not too bad.  Long ass walk from the EVA gate to immigration though.  Notice the signs saying 600 meters, 200 meters etc.  I think it was close to 1/2 mile walk.  The moving stairs help.  I only had a carry on, but as I get older, just a walk to consider.   I arrived at 1120 am from my LAX to Taipei to BKK flight on EVA.  I only had carry on.  Immigration queue was about 3 back and forths.  Maybe 30 minutes total to get through.  Was electronically finger printed.  Was on standard visa exempt, USA citizen.  I took the public bus to Pattaya.  134 baht or whatever.  I only have a light carry on bag so it was convenient.  I got off at Pattaya Klang and just walked down hill to Soi bukhao and stayed at D apartment, then later at a similar named D Hotel just behind it.  D Hotel was a bit better room.  Both had rooftop pools that are small but OK for a dip.

Departing was routine.  I took a baht bus up Pattaya Neua to pattaya bus terminal and booked with Bell travel a few days before my departure.  Bell sends a minivan to your hotel and takes you to the bus station.  Used to be able to reserve on line, but now you have to pay online but I don't like to use my debit or credit card overseas so I booked in person.  Trip was routine.  I had premium seating on EVA so counter check in was trivial.  Then I went back down stairs to kill some time in the Magic food court.  best prices and all the food I needed.  Changed from my shorts into pants for the flight.  Out processing was routine.  No real line at about 3:30 PM on a Monday.  Luckily I was with EVA.  I almost had booked with Cathay Pacific which connected through Hong Kong, and my departure was during the week of the Hong Kong airport shutdown and I would have had to scramble to get back to work.  Normally I don't mind delays, and I can travel when I want, but I was actually on a job and would have had to burn some PTO which I would not have liked.

The sois were about the same.  Soi 8 not as good as it used to be  years ago.  Too many hotels encroaching on the street.  Butcher Arms pub up on Soi Bukhao no more.  Used to like that place.  Oasis gogo near soi LK Metro suddenly closed while I was there.  No idea why or for how long.  Sois 13 have changed a little bit.   Baht buses work like they used to.  A year or so ago they were trying to enforce stopping only at "baht bus stops" but I saw them stopping and dropping off or picking up almost anyplace at any time.  I was there July and August so kind of like the old low season.  I could actually walk across second road as traffic was not bumper to bumper.

Generic foot or oil massage places were about the same.  Got one just about every day.  Prices still the same as before so no complaints there.

I still seem to be a  "hansum" man and welcomed in, at least that is what I kept hearing! 

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

There is a seasonal sourness that is apparent at the end of the high season. This is the same in all tourist resorts around the world. By April many Thais have had enougj but after the coup many Thais, especially,  the Issan service staff were depressed and demoralised...and who can blame them? Nobody wants to live with a jackboot on their neck,  in debt, and no way to change the corrupt regime. I try to be extra kind  courteous and generous to make them feel better.

Didn't they just have elections? My impression is that they were legitimate but who knows? No changes? Still the military junta crowd, the only force preventing destructive anarchy?

17 minutes ago, bigrobtheactor said:

Didn't they just have elections? My impression is that they were legitimate but who knows? No changes? Still the military junta crowd, the only force preventing destructive anarchy?

Well they were legitimate if you ignore the fact that all the officials were hand picked before, so there were not many dissenting votes!

2 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

You know, I can recall on one or two of my trips where I was a bit rude to a girl or two for somewhat legitimate reasons.  But as I learned more and traveled there more, I realized how tough their lives really are.  So many have little hope of a bright future, challenging but rewarding job,  comfortable life style, not having to do so many unsavory things.  The boredom they go through sitting hour on hour like spiders hoping something falls into their web.  And I don't mean that they are preying on people.  I mean it more like they are praying for the right person to come along.  Me and others like me are relatively well off.  I can retire.  I can travel.  I really do try to smile and be nice to even the ones there that I don't like.  Sure sometimes they pressure too much.  Sometimes they could be seen as being gold diggers, but things are not always that cut and dry. 

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

At BKK you will see dozens and dozens of Chinese tour groups in groups of about 15 or so being led by a band leader holding a flag

Nonsense I live lower sukhimvit 12 years and yet to see even 1 flag following group. or are you talking bkk the airport?

4 minutes ago, madmen said:

Nonsense I live lower sukhimvit 12 years and yet to see even 1 flag following group. or are you talking bkk the airport?

I am talking about BKK the airport.  They get on their buses and go to, well many places.  Certainly to Pattaya

I am talking about BKK the airport.  They get on their buses and go to, well many places.  Certainly to Pattaya

Noticing a big rise in Chinese tourists in Ayutthaya as well now, big buses, flag bearers, tour guides, some with radio mikes some with megaphones !!, all competing for the best spot and the loudest commentary !!
This is at the temples, surprised the locals put up with it ??, the foreigner entrance fee helps turn a blind eye and a deaf ear [emoji853]

15 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Noticing a big rise in Chinese tourists in Ayutthaya as well now, big buses, flag bearers, tour guides, some with radio mikes some with megaphones !!, all competing for the best spot and the loudest commentary !!
This is at the temples, surprised the locals put up with it ??, the foreigner entrance fee helps turn a blind eye and a deaf ear emoji853.png

Yeah.  I hope they don't find out about Sukhothai.  I so enjoyed the bus ride from Mo Chit up to there.  Quiet town.  Amazing artifacts and structures.  So quiet and peaceful.  Green grass everywhere.  Hills in the distance.

23 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Yeah.  I hope they don't find out about Sukhothai.  I so enjoyed the bus ride from Mo Chit up to there.  Quiet town.  Amazing artifacts and structures.  So quiet and peaceful.  Green grass everywhere.  Hills in the distance.

many thais and foreigners bang on about ayuttaya but i've always thought sukothai was a much more interesting, impressive and relaxing destination.

20 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

...  Used to like that place.  Oasis gogo near soi LK Metro suddenly closed while I was there.  No idea why or for how long....

Oasis a gogo is on soi Bukkhao at the corner with Soi Chayapoon.

And you have been unlucky if you like this gogo, it's was just closed some weeks for a complete renovation.

Open again already, but still not the best place in the area imo.

I am really getting peed off about all the negative comments about Pattaya 

Why you guys come here for? yes I know, but not all of Pattayas residents

are prostitutes all you talk about is what the best bar is and where to find 

a cheap hooker I do agree Pattaya is a dump nothing nice about it but if

you only come here for prostitutes consider other places 

there is many Amsterdam, Berlin Frankfurt London and other places

I do not live in Pattaya but come here often for holidays and I am getting

very annoyed by the behavior of western expats and tourist treating

Pattaya residents as bad and prostitutes and don't ask me I lived in 

Thailand many years  

21 hours ago, bigrobtheactor said:

Was there last year, maybe twentieth visit, found the attitude towards farangs deteriorating measurably over time: petty ripoffs, rudeness, even outright hostility, debating whether or not to return this year. Thoughts?

It's a phenomena known as 'Farang Fatigue'. It was most noticeable in Backpacker tourism destinations, where the illusion that all 'farangs' are rich, polite, well-educated people, slowly eroded. Khao San Road used to have some great drinking spots, where you could have a good laugh with the lasses working there, though as the tips grew less and less as 'budget travel' became 'fashionable.

I think the trouble with Pattaya is that thanks to the internet, social media etc. is that now even the dumbest tourist 'knows too mut'....and the traditional rip offs behind the proverbial smiles are common knowledge, so they are being more direct and hostile than off old.

My thought is that this thread is yet another sock puppetry attempt to get clicks for this website and its advertisers. How many different threads do we need for this endless negativity towards Pattaya. Seriously moderators can't you change the record or keep it in the same place ?

7 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

all you talk about is what the best bar is and where to find 

a cheap hooker

You're being silly. The Pattaya forum is the most active regional forum on this site, and it is so because there is much to talk about. What happens in Pattaya also provides a barometer for the rest of the tourism industry.

Now a grammar police gripe - Mods, this one is needed so please think carefully before you decide on whether to delete it. It concerns basic punctuation - White Christmas13, for the sake of the rest of us, especially non-native English speakers, can you PLEASE make an attempt at using full stops and commas. It isn't that hard for a native English speaker like yourself. It's hugely frustrating to read copy like yours. Thank you.

PS: We need a grammar police thread, where corrections can (politely and anonymously, of course) be posted to help the original posters and others who are non-native English speakers.

Archived