Keeping fit in Isaan?

SteveK

For those of you living in smaller villages, what do you do to keep fit?

Throughout my life the easiest option has been to visit a gym several times a week, but it goes without saying that there's nothing like that around here. Cycling seems like a good idea but unless you go first thing in the morning it's just too hot. Plus if I try walking anywhere I get heckled by the old ladies sitting out the front of their house asking inane questions about why I'm walking and where I'm going.

I guess the Thai people stay fit from hard labour but as I'm not allowed to work it seems that I'm destined to get fat!

I don't live in Isaan but a small village. I do cycling but for jogging or walking I go in the sugar cane field. Even there peoples are curious about what I'm doing. They don't understand why I don't use a motorbike. Eventually, I want to build some kind of mini gym. Gardening without machinery also keep me fit. 

Perhaps just ignore the old ladies, or tell them you're exercising by walking - that should confuse them as it's the last thing Thais do!

The cycling's a good idea.

Yeah, just get up early if you don't like the heat. I go out perhaps five times a week and cycle 35km per time, the heat doesn't bother me at all, I love it! 
It's my wife who tells me to go cycling early to avoid the heat, I tell her I'm not scared of the sun like she is.

7 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Perhaps just ignore the old ladies, or tell them you're exercising by walking - that should confuse them as it's the last thing Thais do!

The cycling's a good idea.

Yeah, just get up early if you don't like the heat. I go out perhaps five times a week and cycle 35km per time, the heat doesn't bother me at all, I love it! 
It's my wife who tells me to go cycling early to avoid the heat, I tell her I'm not scared of the sun like she is.

Sometimes i go out at 5pm lots of people out cycling at that time in Phuket

Exercising in Issan easy, i go jogging cycling, weight lifting, plus several other activities.????

Yes i wish.

Everywhere i go, people around the village call after me where you go?

Me having a twisted sense of humour call back, i am going to see my Mia Noi.:cheesy:

Old ladies ... just go with it.  Tease them, they like it.  Get a laugh from them.  Ask them about the old days when it was hot weather and they didn't wear tops.  Show me your boobs, that sort of thing.  Be as eccentric as they are.  They will love you if you give them attention and smile.  They were girls once upon a time.

Tie a chunk of meat around your neck and let the stray dogs chase you.

Probably walking, biking is the best option.

When I lived in a small rural village briefly, my exercise consisted of morning walks in the quest to find a dirt path or road that was a shortcut to the next village 5 km away.  Never found it, but walked my butt off looking for it.     The first few times my GF followed me, assuming I was going to visit another lady.   Eventually she just figured out I was crazy.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I used to be like that however I've just had to spend 40,000 baht having a second squamous carcinoma ( skin cancer ) removed from the side of my nose so now at 62 I have to be more wary of the sun's power. If you go out in the sun make sure to use a strong sun block as over the years your skin can take a real bashing.

Gardening keeps me fit but only do 30 minutes before breakfast and an hour in the evening.

What? The old ladies don't ask if you are married / you have thai wife? ????

I assume the village does not have a small park, perhaps with some exercise equipment as you see in the city?

Edit:

or possibly a swimming pool? Some schools are equipped with swimming pools and available to the public. There is one close to where I live and I go used to go on weekends when it was empty.

18 minutes ago, NiwPix said:

I assume the village does not have a small park, perhaps with some exercise equipment as you see in the city?

Edit:

or possibly a swimming pool? Some schools are equipped with swimming pools and available to the public. There is one close to where I live and I go used to go on weekends when it was empty.

Lol, no chance, it's only just on google maps.

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

Cycling seems like a good idea but unless you go first thing in the morning it's just too hot.

Most days I am cycling between 9am and Noon. Hydration is indeed critical my needs are between 0.5 and liter per hour. Issan is mostly flat so get relatively cool most of the time. Starting a steep climb like Phanom Rung is like getting into an oven, with speed dropping below 10km/h.

Cycling is the only outdoors activity one can have here, as the dogs are a lot worse than the old ladies. Running is out of the question, on my bike at least I have my cleats to slice their muzzles (can't high kick old ladies either). Being an outdoors man, used to hiking and of mountaineering exercising indoors is like having sex with a condom so by settling to Issan I won lost some but won some.

I’ve been around long enough that I guess nobody notices anymore when I’m out on the trails. A few dogs came over to say hello on my 8 kilometer run this morning but they were very friendly. I live more than 50 km from town but I take my gym clothes with me and try to work in a bit of weight lifting at the gym whenever I’m in town. If you are determined you’ll find someway to stay fit, just don’t give up.

Cycling, crunches, pushups and workout with light weights, chores at the farm. Bought a light weight dumbbell set from Lazada that included a cool little extension to connect the dumbbell bars and become a barbell.

Cycling isn't that bad in the middle of the day as long as you keep moving and avoid long steep hills. A 30 minute ride in the heat feels like a decent workout. And the first long drink from a frosty mug of beer afterwards is almost as pleasurable as sex.

But skin exposure to the mid day sun is a concern.

When passing strangers in the rice and cane fields just say "awk gumlang gai" (for correct pronunciation Google translate: ออกกำลังกาย) They will understand and no need to say anything else.

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

I might start with some dumbbells from Lazada because I haven't worked out for years and don't want to spend 20k+ on a huge squat rack.

It was just a suggestion from my side. You ask we answer as good we can ????

????

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Exercising in Issan easy, i go jogging cycling, weight lifting, plus several other activities.????

Yes i wish.

Everywhere i go, people around the village call after me where you go?

Me having a twisted sense of humour call back, i am going to see my Mia Noi.:cheesy:

Wasn't it in your village that a newly initiated inter-village bus service caught your fancy?

As I recall, there you were, waiting at the roadside when the shiny new songtaew rolls up and the driver leans out the window and says, "Hi Colin! How you gettin' on?"

I'm also on the outskirts of a small village. I do 40 minutes of free weights on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and 50 minute walks first thing in the morning on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday.

Dogs can sometimes be a nuisance but I carry a sturdy walking stick to ward them off.

Cycling is great for me.. I'm lucky to have a cycling track around the lake across the road from our place here in Kalasin....  I've always been an early riser so early morning is no problem for me.. I love it.. nice and cool.. If I start by 4:30 there are not too many other people on the track.. quite a few start at 5.. Cycling is low impact.. I have knee and lower back problems so walking and jogging are out of the question.. but no problem riding the bike.  Enjoy your exercise.. 

Finding a half decent bike will be the next issue - they're all generic type Chinese garbage here. I want something reasonably good quality and lightweight. I used to have a BMC bike back in the UK and it was excellent.

4 hours ago, SteveK said:

Not an option for me - I'm married.

All you have to do is go on YouTube and type in search bar Body weight exercises or no gym full body workouts. Can watch the videos on TV or PC and follow along. FB all so has workout groups that can send you daily workouts to do at home using bodyweight or dumbells, kettle bells ,bands. (Try Warrior Made)

Litteraly hundreds of vids on exercise can even specify for over 40, 50, 60  year olds.

Invest about 30k baht and buy good quality treadmill, plus a fixed gym set for around 15k baht, plus free weights, bench press ect etc, and some rubber mats, all up you shouldn't exceed 60k baht max.

I find that weights are best for toning up, getting stronger and watching your body change shape, cardio for losing some weight while staying fit at the same time.

Eat clean, little carbs, more protein and healthy fats, and whatever you do, don't turn your new gym into furniture to just look at, routine is key, as is research, you won't recognise your new body in a year. At 60 years of age, I dropped 15kg and went from a size 38 to a size 34, 2XL to an XL and haven't been this weight, 76kg since 3 decades ago.

You only get back what you put in, happy training getting older, or younger as I say.

9 hours ago, SteveK said:

I might start with some dumbbells from Lazada because I haven't worked out for years and don't want to spend 20k+ on a huge squat rack.

Yes. My first 8 years here in Thailand, I went to the commercial gym regularly. I'd ride my bicycle to the gym, then use their elliptical, rower and heavy weights.

Now, in my mid-60s, I have osteoarthritis in my neck and knees so can do bicycle riding, but not other aerobics or heavy weights. So, I developed a home gym starting with cheap stuff from "Big C" :dumbells, situp board, pushup stands, grip exerciser and ab wheel.  It was a good start and have been adding over the past few years: barbells, bench, etc. . A home gym is great as I can exercise 24/7 with no excuses for weather, traffic or other.  Do a circuit workout with high reps without breaks and that will take care of the aerobic part. The dumbells can get pretty heavy, but I focus on higher reps as I want to avoid injuries in my senior years.  

I like the Jeff Cavaliere "Athlean-X" youtube videos for his explanations of form with his background as a physical therapist 

A jump rope is also inexpensive and location independent.  Enjoy the challenge of getting yourself into shape and keeping healthy (eat for health and fun in moderation). 

WE have a bit of land so a few hours every other day on the land is good exercise. Mostly I still enjoy cycling. 

It can be fun flirting with the old ladies whilst cycling through villages far from home. Don't stop or you might get dragged inside or get caught up in a mother/daughter escapade. 

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

Finding a half decent bike will be the next issue - they're all generic type Chinese garbage here. I want something reasonably good quality and lightweight. I used to have a BMC bike back in the UK and it was excellent.

15 years ago that was mostly true.  Today, there are loads of bike stores that sell mid priced high quality mountain bikes.  In Udon, for example, I'll wager there are more than 10 stores that sell better quality bikes.  When I bought my first bike in 2006, it cost 13,000 baht.....made in Taiwan, lasted me 6 years of mountain/trail/road biking and only needed minor derailer adjustments.  Back then it was easy to take a path off a paved road, through rubber plantations, euca farms, rice fields........from 560' above sea level in Udon to 1800' less than 60km from the center of Udon.

You'll be surprised at the things you see when you get off the beaten path.  I never felt afraid, no matter how deep into the trails I got.  I just got too old to keep up with it and had to retire from the activity.  I still miss it.

Archived