Hotel Deposits

gk10002000

One thing on my recent trip was only one hotel asked for any sort of cash deposit.  D Apartment did not take a deposit, Hotel D took like 2,000 baht.  Nana Hotel in Bangkok did not take a deposit or if it was I already forgot and it was like 2,000 baht.  All pretty nominal and I have no issues wit that.

Deposits for keys or keycards are highly frustrating - in many cases you need to present the key and the deposit receipt or they can refuse to give your money back. They must make a killing in places like Khao San where all the drunk backpackers almost certainly either lose the key/receipt or forget to claim back the deposit. It's free money for the hotel.

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

hey must make a killing in places like Khao San where all the drunk backpackers almost certainly either lose the key/receipt or forget to claim back the deposit. It's free money for the hotel.

Done that myself and wasn't even drunk or a backpacker and of course the cow at reception didn't remind me. Just another scam

33 minutes ago, SteveK said:

They must make a killing in places like Khao San where all the drunk backpackers almost certainly either lose the key/receipt or forget to claim back the deposit. It's free money for the hotel.

Many hotels used to keep stum about any deposits when you settled the bill while massively hung-over and in a hurry to get to the airport, and you know it ended up in a pocket. 

Archived