CM.. Refused by Kasikorn bank. Do I need to get a yellow book?

Already have a single personal account at Kasikorn and Visa debit cards for over 10 years same bank. Is not my only Thai bank account. Went in the other day to get a secured Visa credit card which you would need to have a fixed secured account of funds. Was told cannot. Reason, need a retirement visa, or need to own a condo or need work permit. I brought in the family blue house book as I also needed to update address, and they even said that since no name on it then cannot. Only thing they did was update my address on the account. I am on an O Visa and just renewed waiting for the 1 month new stamp. 

What color book do foreigners get when owning a Condo? Is it the yellow book?

I own a home with the wife and am even on the original loan paper signed. Will me getting a yellow book alleviate all this garbage problem I now have encountered that so many other people are encountering trying to get an account? I told them 3-4 years ago it was offered to me to get the secured card, and they said: Oh no, now bank has changed. Cannot. 

Meaning, it surely does look as the Government pulled strings and does not want foreigners here, but also stupid that a person with an existing account for a decade is denied.

What is the remedy?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

I dont know if the yellow book needed or not for the credit card you want, but if you are married with thai lady, you can get a yellow book via using her house blue book or the house you bought. Just go to your local government office and apply.

Yes understood can get it or should be able to get the yellow book, just not sure if it is worth the hassle and I will get what I need. Thank you. 

26 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I am on an O Visa and just renewed waiting for the 1 month new stamp. 

It appears you are on an extension of stay based upon marriage and have a under consideration stamp after applying for a extension.

There is no difference between your extension and one based upon retirement for opening bank accounts.

Perhaps the problem was you under consideration stamp and they did not know what it was.

Perhaps try again after you get the extension stamp.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Yes understood can get it or should be able to get the yellow book, just not sure if it is worth the hassle and I will get what I need. Thank you. 

it might help a lot. Because i tried to applied for a normal credit card and Bangkok Bank told me i need 100K income because im a foreigner. I told them im married and my visa is NON-O they asked me if i have house registration or not on my name. I said no. Now i still dont have yellow book so i dont know but i think your name will be on that book, so might help. If not helps, trust me yellow book do lot in thailand. Make things easier. So its not a loosing time to do it. I will start to do it this december when my wife comes.

good luck

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It appears you are on an extension of stay based upon marriage and have a under consideration stamp after applying for a extension.

There is no difference between your extension and one based upon retirement for opening bank accounts.

Perhaps the problem was you under consideration stamp and they did not know what it was.

Perhaps try again after you get the extension stamp.

Yes I brought that up. They specifically stated WP, or retirement, or own a condo, or be on the blue book. This is why I was asking about the yellow book. I'm sure it did not help for the under consideration stamp, but I did refer to the original stamp and they said it did not matter. So if I go do the yellow book was my thinking having an actual residence book, but is the yellow book obtainable in one day if the Amphur says ok? CM not sure is easy or not or what they require as in documents. So frustrating some times, and then other times so easy. 

2 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Yes I brought that up. They specifically stated WP, or retirement, or own a condo, or be on the blue book. This is why I was asking about the yellow book. I'm sure it did not help for the under consideration stamp, but I did refer to the original stamp and they said it did not matter. So if I go do the yellow book was my thinking having an actual residence book, but is the yellow book obtainable in one day if the Amphur says ok? CM not sure is easy or not or what they require as in documents. So frustrating some times, and then other times so easy. 

Ask on the CHIANG Mai forum about experiences and requirements for yellow book to get local knowledge as offices do vary.

If you do go for the yellow book get the the ID Card at the same time, might as well as it's an easy add-on in that process.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

They specifically stated WP, or retirement, or own a condo, or be on the blue book.

I think they were confused or did know what they were doing. I have never seen a list of requirements for opening a bank account that stated you needed a visa or extension based upon retirement.

4 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

So if I go do the yellow book was my thinking having an actual residence book, but is the yellow book obtainable in one day if the Amphur says ok?

I don't think it can be done on the same day.

The only way to know what is needed is to go to your local Amphoe and ask. It varies from one to another.

• Like 1

I tried to get my own credit card but it was hard work. The credit offered just wasn't worth it. I eventually got a decent credit card with my name on and the missus is the guarantor. If you can't do that, bring an assertive Thai into the bank with you. Local staff here act very differently around assertive Thais. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

If you want a credit card, just tell the wife to go get one and when it arrives put it in your wallet.

She'll get one as easy as buying a loaf a bread !

It's all about having it in your name so when on travel to anywhere you can rent cars and use it at hotels etc. The world is closing in and down and plastic is the only way you can go. So yes the other option is wife gets one and adds a second card. But even still the headquarters still needs to approve it and one is not guaranteed getting it even if you or she does have $3000-4000 USD secured with them. Money is not a problem with me.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Ask on the CHIANG Mai forum about experiences and requirements for yellow book to get local knowledge as offices do vary.

If you do go for the yellow book get the the ID Card at the same time, might as well as it's an easy add-on in that process.

You mean the pink ID card. Is it all instantaneous?

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think they were confused or did know what they were doing. I have never seen a list of requirements for opening a bank account that stated you needed a visa or extension based upon retirement.

I don't think it can be done on the same day.

The only way to know what is needed is to go to your local Amphoe and ask. It varies from one to another.

Yes just off the phone with the wife. Going to go see today what the scoop is. I guess it is six of one half a dozen or the other.

7 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

After you get yellow house book getting the pink ID card is easy.

Not exactly instantaneous but normally quick dependent upon the Amphoe issuing it.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

The requirement for ID Card is almost identical except you need the yellow book, so do it at the same time and it's a 10minute add-on (usually). 

11 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I tried to get my own credit card but it was hard work. The credit offered just wasn't worth it. I eventually got a decent credit card with my name on and the missus is the guarantor. If you can't do that, bring an assertive Thai into the bank with you. Local staff here act very differently around assertive Thais. 

How did that work for your wife being the guarantee person? Did she get the first card and you the second?

16 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

It's all about having it in your name so when on travel to anywhere you can rent cars and use it at hotels etc. The world is closing in and down and plastic is the only way you can go. So yes the other option is wife gets one and adds a second card. But even still the headquarters still needs to approve it and one is not guaranteed getting it even if you or she does have $3000-4000 USD secured with them. Money is not a problem with me.

I can't see Thailand going cash-free in the next 200 years somehow.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I can't see Thailand going cash-free in the next 200 years somehow.

Elaborate please. They seemingly have been pushed to now scrutinize everything from the powers that be and have no choice but to jump and salute the way it looks. Just like everyone's bank accounts will be looked at in 2020 with the new tax push. 

29 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

How did that work for your wife being the guarantee person? Did she get the first card and you the second?

Not sure. She has a few cards. As long as the guarantor has the credit and they trust you, it should be simple. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

If you want a credit card, just tell the wife to go get one and when it arrives put it in your wallet.

She'll get one as easy as buying a loaf a bread !

Then ask your wife to get a supplementary card...

Kasikorn are really annoying - I have a similar issue, I have been trying for a couple of years to get 2 bank accounts at the same branch or two banks accounts with Kasikorn so that I can use one internet log-in - I don’t want anything, just a passbook - an account where I can stash money.

Work permit or retired visa - no problem.

O visa, few million Baht in the bank - No, cannot 

Someone’s got it into their heads we are all criminals laundering cash and flicked a switch at Kasikorn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

Kasikorn are really annoying - I have a similar issue, I have been trying for a couple of years to get 2 bank accounts at the same branch or two banks accounts with Kasikorn so that I can use one internet log-in - I don’t want anything, just a passbook - an account where I can stash money.

Someone’s got it into their heads we are all criminals laundering cash and flicked a switch at Kasikorn.

Now your words just struck the same chord in my book. This is exactly what I am talking about. Money is no problem for me and it is legal money. 

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

Change bank or branch. I've had 15 or so bank accounts and never had any problems.