CM.. Refused by Kasikorn bank. Do I need to get a yellow book?

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It appears you are on an extension of stay based upon marriage and have a under consideration stamp after applying for a extension.

There is no difference between your extension and one based upon retirement for opening bank accounts.

Perhaps the problem was you under consideration stamp and they did not know what it was.

Perhaps try again after you get the extension stamp.

Several K-Bank branches wants to see the retirement stamp next to the Non-Imm O in the passport. Recently K-Bank changed the official requirements for opening an account. Foreigners are for some strange reason totally gone from the list. Earlier it was passport and work permit or passport with retirement visa. 

9 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

RichardColeman. It is a secured credit card that I would put about $3-4000 of my OWN money down in a locked account. As for owning or having the right to the house yes I do, as for owning the dirt, no I don't. Read before you open your keyboard mouth. 

Your name on the loan only means that you have a debt, not that you own anything.

I think it will become more and more difficult to open accounts.

Even I never had an problem with it. Even a credit card from Kasikorn which I received about 8 years ago on a Tourist Visa that time.
This year I opened KTB and GSB Bank account but with the help of the yellow book. I think if you not work in Thailand the Yellow Book is the best option for opening bank accounts. I talked in another thread with someone who was not able to open the account on GSB even with the yellow book.. but I think at the moment it's still the best option.

The yellow book not mean you own a condo. You also could have one with renting. But not all Amphoe will give you one if you not own the condo. Maybe even you own the condo and there are some Amphoe which will not give one out. This is Thailand.

Till know I always was happy and the only refusal was on a tourist visa a few years back on Bangkok Bank. Now since I have extensions I "thanks god" never was refused to open an account.

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I agree with their decision. Why give someone with no sort of permanent residence or long term visa access to borrow money ? As for owning a home - you probably don;t if she owns 51%

i have a non o visa and iv got a real scb visa and 500k limit... NO guarantee needed maybe depends on branch 

9 minutes ago, HampiK said:

Even I never had an problem with it. Even a credit card from Kasikorn which I received about 8 years ago on a Tourist Visa that time.
This year I opened KTB and GSB Bank account but with the help of the yellow book. I think if you not work in Thailand the Yellow Book is the best option for opening bank accounts. I talked in another thread with someone who was not able to open the account on GSB even with the yellow book.. but I think at the moment it's still the best option.

The yellow book not mean you own a condo. You also could have one with renting. But not all Amphoe will give you one if you not own the condo. Maybe even you own the condo and there are some Amphoe which will not give one out. This is Thailand.

Till know I always was happy and the only refusal was on a tourist visa a few years back on Bangkok Bank. Now since I have extensions I "thanks god" never was refused to open an account.

The yellow house book is just a proof of an address,not a permanent address. There is not one bank in Thailand that officially allowes you to open a bank account showing the yellow house book. There are several banks that officially denies foreigners opening an account if you don't have a work permit,and others that officially denies every foreigner to open an account. I am talking about the official requirements, and if every Thai bank followed them, there will probably be only Bangkok Bank to go to. 

25 minutes ago, HampiK said:

How did you managed to get a credit card with a tourist visa? Are you talking about ATM card? Im trying to get a credit card and all banks refused me like 14 years now. Im married, secured job, nice income, own a land both on my and wife's name.. And still no credit card. There are lot of my friends also cant get any credit cards. Only one could get it from Bangkok Bank, he has 100K salary. There is no problem at all opening bank account or getting a ATM card for me. But please explain me and us how did you managed to get a CREDIT CARD with your TOURIST VISA. thanks

26 minutes ago, kralledr said:

i have a non o visa and iv got a real scb visa and 500k limit... NO guarantee needed maybe depends on branch 

A Thai bank normally demands a guarantee to issue a Credit Card to a foreigner. I am talking about official requirements. Maybe a well-known customer with loads of money has the advantage before others. 

8 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

How did you managed to get a credit card with a tourist visa? Are you talking about ATM card? Im trying to get a credit card and all banks refused me like 14 years now. Im married, secured job, nice income, own a land both on my and wife's name.. And still no credit card. There are lot of my friends also cant get any credit cards. Only one could get it from Bangkok Bank, he has 100K salary. There is no problem at all opening bank account or getting a ATM card for me. But please explain me and us how did you managed to get a CREDIT CARD with your TOURIST VISA. thanks

As I told this was 8 years ago. And I not talk about a ATM Card. I have a credit card with my name on it. At that time I was buying my condo and I had to show only the contract from the developer. OK that was about 40 pages document but I was there with a tourist visa at that time. And it was a middle class condo for Bangkok. I think it still depends on how much money you are talking and the most important part is some luck!

I not talk about now. And I agree with another poster above that it's very difficult now. I asked there for a friend of mine and now the bank denies if you not have a longstay visa in your passport. And some Bank like KTB told with the additional yellow book I can open an account even without work permit. But without yellow book can't do that (this was the silom Branch) next to superrich. Also opened just about 2 weeks ago an Account with GSB (Yellow Book and extension) at IconSiam branch.

At IconSiam they try to sell their Creditcards (also from Kasikorn) and the person on the booth told I could become one. But who knows. They sometimes don't know the details and when you filled in all information and then the form goes to the Headoffice for check they will denied. I was never interested in a second card till now. As my card is very good with a lot of additional premiums.

22 minutes ago, HampiK said:

As I told this was 8 years ago. And I not talk about a ATM Card. I have a credit card with my name on it. At that time I was buying my condo and I had to show only the contract from the developer. OK that was about 40 pages document but I was there with a tourist visa at that time. And it was a middle class condo for Bangkok. I think it still depends on how much money you are talking and the most important part is some luck!

I not talk about now. And I agree with another poster above that it's very difficult now. I asked there for a friend of mine and now the bank denies if you not have a longstay visa in your passport. And some Bank like KTB told with the additional yellow book I can open an account even without work permit. But without yellow book can't do that (this was the silom Branch) next to superrich. Also opened just about 2 weeks ago an Account with GSB (Yellow Book and extension) at IconSiam branch.

At IconSiam they try to sell their Creditcards (also from Kasikorn) and the person on the booth told I could become one. But who knows. They sometimes don't know the details and when you filled in all information and then the form goes to the Headoffice for check they will denied. I was never interested in a second card till now. As my card is very good with a lot of additional premiums.

You can always open an account with some luck and the dumbest clerc in Thailand. The yellow house book doesn't mean anything else than showing you have an address in Thailand. But, I guess some of the less smart people at customer service in some banks would think that a yellow house book is similar to a Certificate of Residence. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HampiK said:

An amphoe can not refuse to issue a yellow house book as long as you have the required documents and in some cases a Thai witness. You don't need a condo in your own name. You can rent long term and that makes you the possessor. 

6 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

An amphoe can not refuse to issue a yellow house book as long as you have the required documents and in some cases a Thai witness. You don't need a condo in your own name. You can rent long term and that makes you the possessor. 

But still you read about some they were refused. Some Amphoe told (at least what I have read) you need to be married or whatever reason they give! In theory they all should give them but this is Thailand!

Edited by HampiK

I tried to open a/c at Kasikorn, Krungsri, Krungthai, SCB, and Bangkok Banks after getting married with NON-O Visa (from Penang) and with the yellow book + pink card in hand.

First thing they say - can not sir.

After my wife talks with them, they call the manager, who goes through some internal rules book calls the head office etc. and only at Krungsri/Krungthai they allowed me to open a/c.

Before going to malaysia for non-o, I managed to open a/c at BB, only on ED visa, showing the acceptance letter from school.

They don't really care about marriage certificate or the yellow book or the pink ID card, which I had.

Getting yellow book if you are married is not hard. Come with wife, her blue book and id, show your passport and they start the process.
You will have to go to police hq and do the criminal check, where they will take your fingerprints old-style with black paint.

Wait 2-3 weeks for the results (police will send them back to Amphoe), and then come and sign the freshly printed yellow book.

After about 1 week, come and get the pink card. But I've been unable to find any use for it.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

Kasikorn are not the only bank giving farang a hard time opening a new account. Krungsri gave me the runaround last month - they required me to bring a blue book owner as a guarantor to open a new account. And once i had jumped through all their hoops, the actual process of opening the account took nearly an hour, signed as many pages as i do for my marriage extension. That is madness when YOU are giving THEM money (a time deposit account) and already have a savings account at the bank!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Max69xl said:

A Thai bank normally demands a guarantee to issue a Credit Card to a foreigner. I am talking about official requirements. Maybe a well-known customer with loads of money has the advantage before others. 

Well it was 10 years ago, and till now each 5 years i get a new one, could be that back then i was simply lucky...

Why all the questions?  Get a yellow book, which is easy.  I've used mine on many occasions; quite useful: buying new car in my name, getting a pink ID card, extension of stay (Thai wife), etc.

Why do guys make a big deal out of a minor issue?? ???? Good luck!

Cheers,

Don

15 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The yellow house book is just a proof of an address,not a permanent address. There is not one bank in Thailand that officially allowes you to open a bank account showing the yellow house book. There are several banks that officially denies foreigners opening an account if you don't have a work permit,and others that officially denies every foreigner to open an account. I am talking about the official requirements, and if every Thai bank followed them, there will probably be only Bangkok Bank to go to. 

Absolutely BS and wrong. I have opened accounts wit BBL, KBank, SCB, LH Bank using my Yellow TB. What is required differs from branch to branch but a Yellow TB is certainly accepted.

19 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Several K-Bank branches wants to see the retirement stamp next to the Non-Imm O in the passport. Recently K-Bank changed the official requirements for opening an account. Foreigners are for some strange reason totally gone from the list. Earlier it was passport and work permit or passport with retirement visa. 

That's exactly what I was quoted. Own a Condo or WP or Retirement visa and they seemed to hint on having my name in the house registry book, so this is why the Yellow book. If the Government hammers the banks any harder they are certainly closing up a lot of areas for new expats to come and stay. I have a couple of bank accounts from a long time ago. K Bank and another Bank starting with K and I feel lucky to be able to keep them now. Hopefully they don't change the criteria and make everyone redo their documents to see if they qualify under todays clandestine agenda.

A friend told me, that he also have problems to open a new fixed account in Chiang Mai!

He has a marriage extension and have already an saving account with K-Bank. They told him (in more than 1 branch) new policy from begin of this year only allow for work permit or extension based on retirement for new accounts! He even talk with main branch (not sure it was BKK or not) on the phone and they told him the same.

I had my last fixed account in April so I can't comment how it would work right now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HampiK said:

A friend told me, that he also have problems to open a new fixed account in Chiang Mai!

He has a marriage extension and have already an saving account with K-Bank. They told him (in more than 1 branch) new policy from begin of this year only allow for work permit or extension based on retirement for new accounts! He even talk with main branch (not sure it was BKK or not) on the phone and they told him the same.

I had my last fixed account in April so I can't comment how it would work right now.

well theres no work permit for non-o retirement visa... only extension. This means they want to make sure you will stay in thailand, use your card and pay it.

1 hour ago, HampiK said:

So you had a new fixed account from K Bank in April? Are you on a retirement?

And how old is your friend?

And how are they able to tell that you are on a retirement?

Retirement can be a Non O or a Non OA.

I will be going back to try again at my branch and at other branches, but my purpose is to get a fixed account in order to get a secured credit card. Just do not understand why they are clamping down so hard. Could be they are doing what the Government says under handed and this is a means to stop foreigners becoming long stay?

20 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

So you had a new fixed account from K Bank in April? Are you on a retirement?

And how old is your friend?

And how are they able to tell that you are on a retirement?

Retirement can be a Non O or a Non OA.

I will be going back to try again at my branch and at other branches, but my purpose is to get a fixed account in order to get a secured credit card. Just do not understand why they are clamping down so hard. Could be they are doing what the Government says under handed and this is a means to stop foreigners becoming long stay?

I am on extension based on marriage! My friend told the bank person told him this new rules is from February... but I was able to open new fixed in April.. and my branch not said anything. I don't know if this rules really exists but from what my friend told me it seems serious with K-Bank. And i was surprised even on the phone he received the same answer. I remember a few years ago that K-Bank was an easy one with open accounts.

My friend is I think already 50 now.. so he could change to extension based on retirement. But I am not sure if he want to change or not. And now with the more strict rules and the amounts tied fixed on the bank.. More and more want do the change opposite way... Extension based on marriage to retirement.

I don't know how they want tell when you have a non O visa.. but if you are on extension then they can see the reason of extension.

I will try to receive "OneSiam KBank Credit Card" in the next few days. Let's see if this is possible for me or not as I not have a work permit.

The person at the ground floor at the Credit card booth told I should be able to become one. But as some other member before told... they person at the booth mostly don't know the requirement.. so you are for sure able to fill out all paperwork.. but then the headquarters will deny it. I will report back what will happen. Maybe when I go there now to start filling in the application form they already tell me it's not possible...

The reason why the deny to open new accounts (even for existing members) I also can't see. When my friend asked them naiv about how he then could open an account to store the 400'000 baht which is a must to obtain an extension, they told sorry have to try another bank. So far my friend told Bangkok Bank is still possible for him, but he not liked the App from them.. so he wanted to use K-Bank again as main!

3 hours ago, HampiK said:

I am on extension based on marriage! My friend told the bank person told him this new rules is from February... but I was able to open new fixed in April.. and my branch not said anything. I don't know if this rules really exists but from what my friend told me it seems serious with K-Bank. And i was surprised even on the phone he received the same answer. I remember a few years ago that K-Bank was an easy one with open accounts.

My friend is I think already 50 now.. so he could change to extension based on retirement. But I am not sure if he want to change or not. And now with the more strict rules and the amounts tied fixed on the bank.. More and more want do the change opposite way... Extension based on marriage to retirement.

I don't know how they want tell when you have a non O visa.. but if you are on extension then they can see the reason of extension.

I will try to receive "OneSiam KBank Credit Card" in the next few days. Let's see if this is possible for me or not as I not have a work permit.

The person at the ground floor at the Credit card booth told I should be able to become one. But as some other member before told... they person at the booth mostly don't know the requirement.. so you are for sure able to fill out all paperwork.. but then the headquarters will deny it. I will report back what will happen. Maybe when I go there now to start filling in the application form they already tell me it's not possible...

The reason why the deny to open new accounts (even for existing members) I also can't see. When my friend asked them naiv about how he then could open an account to store the 400'000 baht which is a must to obtain an extension, they told sorry have to try another bank. So far my friend told Bangkok Bank is still possible for him, but he not liked the App from them.. so he wanted to use K-Bank again as main!

Well they told me the same as has to be retirement or own a condo or have WP and then had something that I was not on the house blue book so will do a yellow book submission and see if that can work. 

Yes please, please reply back after you have an approval or denial. And then PM me on which K Bank. Thanks again. It is getting difficult here for sure.

46 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Well they told me the same as has to be retirement or own a condo or have WP and then had something that I was not on the house blue book so will do a yellow book submission and see if that can work. 

Yes please, please reply back after you have an approval or denial. And then PM me on which K Bank. Thanks again. It is getting difficult here for sure.

The new official requirements at K-Bank states that no foreigner can no longer open any account. Only Thai nationals.

Just check the website, it's in english. The reason it's still  possible at some branches is because they haven't got a clue about the new requirements.

Bangkok Bank is officially the easiest bank when talking about opening an account. 

Edited by Max69xl

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The new official requirements at K-Bank states that no foreigner can no longer open any account. Only Thai nationals.

Just check the website, it's in english. The reason it's still  possible at some branches is because they haven't got a clue about the new requirements.

Bangkok Bank is officially the easiest bank when talking about opening an account. 

This is in their website and i did read it before, but I still think it is possible. One instance says foreigners who are shop owners. But word from other mebbers on TV and myself state they can under circumstances. I still will try again as they seem to be the only one that used to be open for a secured credit card. But if not, then this is a semi travesty as they are rejecting foreigners with long term stay or new ones.

Individuals

• National ID card (Smart Card)
  • Copy of House Registration (in case other ID cards are submitted)
  • Birth certificate (for parents opening an account for a child)

Registered shops

• Copy of National ID Card (copy of House Registration required if address is not shown) or Passport (for non-Thai) of shop owner
  • Commercial Registration Certificate indicating the name of requesto

K bank Prachuap

No foreigners to  open any bank accounts on retirement visa without a work permit

Certainly from what i have heard/experienced its enforced

So basically no foreigners 

14 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

This is in their website and i did read it before, but I still think it is possible. One instance says foreigners who are shop owners. But word from other mebbers on TV and myself state they can under circumstances. I still will try again as they seem to be the only one that used to be open for a secured credit card. But if not, then this is a semi travesty as they are rejecting foreigners with long term stay or new ones.

Individuals

• National ID card (Smart Card)
  • Copy of House Registration (in case other ID cards are submitted)
  • Birth certificate (for parents opening an account for a child)

Registered shops

• Copy of National ID Card (copy of House Registration required if address is not shown) or Passport (for non-Thai) of shop owner
  • Commercial Registration Certificate indicating the name of requesto

Those are the official requirements since about Q2 this year. You can always open an account with some luck and legwork. I know at least one branch (there are probably more) in Pattaya where you still can open an account as an expat with a retirement visa (1 year extension). I have checked several banks lately just for fun, and only a very few requires a wp. If no wp, no account. Bangkok Bank is officially the easiest bank,and when staying in Jomtien a good choice. 

Edited by Max69xl

5 minutes ago, poohy said:

K bank Prachuap

No foreigners to  open any bank accounts on retirement visa without a work permit

Certainly from what i have heard/experienced its enforced

So basically no foreigners 

Officially not even with a wp.