CM.. Refused by Kasikorn bank. Do I need to get a yellow book?

On 10/9/2019 at 3:52 PM, HampiK said:

So far I understand this would not help a lot. Because What I understood the problem is when you can't create new Fixed accounts. Actually 1 or 2 saving accounts is enough. But who want have only this little interest. You need to be able to open new Fixed accounts. And I think this could be a problem in future for the people not on retirement extension or work permit.

I hope my branch still not take this too serious and I will be able to create new fixed accounts.

If you're not on retirement visa/extension or don't have a work permit, why would the bank allow you to open an account? 

7 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Why would there be a 2 weeks waiting period? When I opened an account at K-Bank in Jomtien,it took about 30min. 15min extra for the ATM/debit card and installing the bank app. 1 hour later I received an email that the account was approved.

I not talk about a ATM card. I talk about a real credit card and this you never received directly. Even back in swiss you have to wait some time till you receive them.

7 hours ago, Max69xl said:

If you're not on retirement visa/extension or don't have a work permit, why would the bank allow you to open an account? 

Because this is Thailand! You know yourself there is no rules without exceptions.

And why they should?  because you need an account for example to deposit the 400K for an marriage extension or for transfer the 40K per month to Thailand! I think this should be good reasons, even they not count at the bank.

Till now I only know from 1 person who was not able to open new fix account at K-Bank with extension based on marriage. But heard other stories from other banks (GSB) about similar problems! Which I was lucky just 1 month ago.

5 hours ago, HampiK said:

I not talk about a ATM card. I talk about a real credit card and this you never received directly. Even back in swiss you have to wait some time till you receive them.

5 hours ago, HampiK said:

Because this is Thailand! You know yourself there is no rules without exceptions.

And why they should?  because you need an account for example to deposit the 400K for an marriage extension or for transfer the 40K per month to Thailand! I think this should be good reasons, even they not count at the bank.

Till now I only know from 1 person who was not able to open new fix account at K-Bank with extension based on marriage. But heard other stories from other banks (GSB) about similar problems! Which I was lucky just 1 month ago.

You never mentioned a credit card in your post.

Banks in Thailand don't care the least about your 400 or 800k you need to park in the bank. If they suddenly start to follow their own official requirements 100%, then you can only open an account at Bangkok Bank and if there are another bank which requirement is a work permit. Understand? I know at least one K-Bank branch where it's still possible to open a savings account if you have either a wp or a retirement visa in 30min. Bangkok Banks official requirements are not that hard. In my opinion it's easy to open an account there. The official requirements is the keyword. 

Edited by Max69xl

13 hours ago, HampiK said:

Today I filled in the application documents for the "One Siam" CC by K-Bank. After that they told me I should receive the CC in about 2 weeks. So this mean in about 2 weeks I should know about approval or denial. I will report back with the results.

How easy to get a bank account there? 

13 hours ago, HampiK said:

Today I filled in the application documents for the "One Siam" CC by K-Bank. After that they told me I should receive the CC in about 2 weeks. So this mean in about 2 weeks I should know about approval or denial. I will report back with the results.

Never mind. It is a KBank card.  

12 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Why would there be a 2 weeks waiting period? When I opened an account at K-Bank in Jomtien,it took about 30min. 15min extra for the ATM/debit card and installing the bank app. 1 hour later I received an email that the account was approved.

For credit card not atm debit 

5 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I think he has to deposit a security to be able to get a credit card. It's normally for people with "poor credit access". That's bank terminology. ????

Yes but they still do an approval bring credit check etc. even though it’s your own money. 

8 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

How easy to get a bank account there? 

This I can't answer, as I have my accounts with K-Bank since longtime. My last new fixed account I opened there in April this year.

8 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I think he has to deposit a security to be able to get a credit card. It's normally for people with "poor credit access". That's bank terminology. ????

Till now nobody told something about a security deposit (Not even mentioned it). But I will report back when I know more. Whatever the result will be????

But I think here in Thailand everything (or at least of lot of things) depends on how much money you have in your account.

If you have enough money then more is possible. With money you can do a lot.

I told already many times that it's strange that when you have some money.. you start to become many things for free which you have to pay with less money!

12 hours ago, HampiK said:

This I can't answer, as I have my accounts with K-Bank since longtime. My last new fixed account I opened there in April this year.

Till now nobody told something about a security deposit (Not even mentioned it). But I will report back when I know more. Whatever the result will be????

But I think here in Thailand everything (or at least of lot of things) depends on how much money you have in your account.

If you have enough money then more is possible. With money you can do a lot.

I told already many times that it's strange that when you have some money.. you start to become many things for free which you have to pay with less money!

Very true. But I keep most all of my money out of here because I simply do not trust Thailand and so that will not work for the KBank for me, and the other Bank is shut against foreigners getting a card without a work permit. I might consider putting a couple million baht in an account if they would give me a straight unsecured card, but actually all I need is a secured one as  for them holding the money in an interest bearing account is not a problem for me. BTW. Can you PM me the branch you are dealing with? If that is awkward then never mind. Thank you for all of your replies. 

On 10/1/2019 at 9:24 AM, RichardColeman said:

I agree with their decision. Why give someone with no sort of permanent residence or long term visa access to borrow money ? As for owning a home - you probably don;t if she owns 51%

No farang "owns" a home in Thailand.

15 minutes ago, Henryford said:

No farang "owns" a home in Thailand.

Home as a place where you life, then 100% you can own a condo!

And even a house you can own, only the land where the house is build on a foreigner can't own. but this you can lease (rent). I just heard (not confirmed) from someone who told he have a lease for lifetime which he told is now possible since a few months.

On 10/10/2019 at 10:58 PM, HampiK said:

Today I received a SMS from K-Bank:
Your OneSiam-KBank Credit Card is approved and sent within 7 days

So it looks like I will become the card without any problems. Maybe also have to do with that I used my existing credit card from K-Bank a lot and therefore this also helped me to become this one. Not sure if this would help me to receive a CC from another Bank!

Two Points:

Credit Cards - I tried to get one recently and was told that the Thai Central Bank will not allow Credit Cards to those over 75 (not sure if this applies only to farangs or not).

Yellow Book - When I was doing my RET Visa Extension recently my gf was earwigging conversation between Immigration Officer and memeber of  the public and she told me after that the office no longer accepted yellow books (CAUTION something may have got lost in translation/interpretation).

On 10/1/2019 at 9:13 AM, holy cow cm said:

Meaning, it surely does look as the Government pulled strings and does not want foreigners here

No, it doesn't.  How the hell do you draw that conclusion just because you, personally, can't get a credit card.  Ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

No, it doesn't.  How the hell do you draw that conclusion just because you, personally, can't get a credit card.  Ridiculous.

Honestly it is not only about that and I already have that 95% sorted from a bank here now. It is about more restrictions the financial institutions are creating making it extremely hard for foreigners to get a bank account and I have spoken to many-O-foreigners who have had the same complaint. Now, if the government didn't have a hand in this then the banks would be open for business same same as they always were. So, if you do not have a bank account you will not be able to do extensions... Correct!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, HampiK said:

Today I received a SMS from K-Bank:
Your OneSiam-KBank Credit Card is approved and sent within 7 days

So it looks like I will become the card without any problems. Maybe also have to do with that I used my existing credit card from K-Bank a lot and therefore this also helped me to become this one. Not sure if this would help me to receive a CC from another Bank!

Well that is good news. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Honestly it is not only about that and I already have that 95% sorted from a bank here now. It is about more restrictions the financial institutions are creating making it extremely hard for foreigners to get a bank account and I have spoken to many-O-foreigners who have had the same complaint. Now, if the government didn't have a hand in this then the banks would be open for business same same as they always were. So, if you do not have a bank account you will not be able to do extensions... Correct!

It's not "extremely hard" to get a bank account.  I walked into Krungsri, Exchange Tower, off the street, 6 weeks ago, had a new savings account in 20 mins, using a retirement extension and a copy of my lease.

Kasikorn opened a new savings account on the same basis without issues some months ago, as did UOB. 

Attitude and appearance has a lot to do with the response received, as does already having an account at another bank in my experience.

Edited by Just Weird

27 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

If you or other posters really needs a savings account, Bangkok Bank is officially the easiest bank. Just read the requirements (in English) for opening a savings account. No need for a work permit. Just the passport + one of several documents. The best one is a Certificate of Residence from the local immigration office, second best, a reference from an embassy. 

2 hours ago, Negita43 said:

Extension recently my gf was earwigging conversation between Immigration Officer and memeber of  the public and she told me after that the office no longer accepted yellow books

Must be a local thing. I always bring a copy of the yellow book when doing the extension, they always hand it back, 'no need'. However, according to Murphy's Law, if I don't bring the copy they would for some reason need it.

5 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Must be a local thing. I always bring a copy of the yellow book when doing the extension, they always hand it back, 'no need'. However, according to Murphy's Law, if I don't bring the copy they would for some reason need it.

Where in the official requirements is the yellow house book mentioned? 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

If you or other posters really needs a savings account, Bangkok Bank is officially the easiest bank. Just read the requirements (in English) for opening a savings account. No need for a work permit. Just the passport + one of several documents. The best one is a Certificate of Residence from the local immigration office, second best, a reference from an embassy. 

Thanks. I have 2 bank accounts already. It was just in saying a reply to OP Just Weird. I am going to try to open up a couple of other banks accounts as I also need to transfer some large bits of money from the US to here and I don't want it all in one bank, but I have to wait until my 30 day under consideration is over and the new 1 year is in passport.