the powers that be are REALLY serious about this

problem,which effects the health of everyone,is bad

for business, 

Trying to control and put out fires is not they way

to go, they need to prevent fires been lit,that's the

only way.but i am not expecting anything different

will happen in 2020.

regards Worgeordie

I suppose one thing they could do would be to criminalize the trade in those mushrooms that they burn the forest to harvest. But of course what we would get form that would be continued burning and reports of 60 year old illiterate farmers getting 30 year terms for mushrooms they found in their backyard.

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

We learned a lesson last year,

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He added that if PM2.5 dust particles exceed the safe limit, the authorities will convene again to seek better solutions.

Which means they learnt nothing, did nothing & locals should expect nothing !

Had to check the date on the post. Thought I read this last year. Nothing can be done at a municipal level - more water sprays on the foot bridges??  It is an international crisis and until the  heads of nearby national govts, universities, economists and farmers get together and work out ways to improve backward farming techniques it will not stop.

You have to convince farmers that they can benefit from composting or recycling crop waste and earning or saving money by improving fertility and using less oil based fertilizer.  At the moment its too easy to drop a match and run away into the night.

Education based on research is better than fining individuals. But more people need to care enough to push this issue through the crust of self interested, short sighted profiteers benefiting from the current situation.

Global corporations do need to be shamed and punished severely before they will come to the party. 

You can punish them by revealing who is making money out of burning forests so we can boycott those products using palm oil for instance.

Think of the successful actions taken against big companies using sweatshop conditions to make sports clothes or the coffee fair trade movements. This is the only way it will improve from the top down when inspired by consumers from the bottom up. Don't expect governments to upset their friends at the world bank. 

20 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Um, so..... What the hell are they going to do? 

Short, medium and long term measures, meaning?

If it exceeds the limit they will seek better solutions?

Are these people insane? They have no idea, and dont care at all. They are incapable of even contemplating the issue by the sounds of it. I guess thats what happens when your subject to pm2.5 for long periods of time, or in the womb. It's called "brain damage"????????

"Are these people insane?"

Well..yes..they actually are.

The media is responsible for this state of affairs. The governors will rise to the standard set them. What journalist would give them such an easy time. The media have a vital role in holding authorities accountable. Just saying....

does people really think this is a problem isolated to CM? did anyone really think things would get better before it gets worse?

the whole north is going to be enveloped in toxic smoke for months (again!) virtually all the way from bkk to chiang rai & everywhere in between.

make your escape plans now & not tomorrow...

as mentioned by a few posters the only long term solution involves educating/motivating polluters / arsenists to earn more money by non burning. maybe sometime in the distant future

After we all had a good laugh...

Honestly if you cannot be absent out of CNX 4 or more months per year and are not flexible, make plans to move out.

We are guests in this country - nothing we can do. Maybe they will solve it some day in 10 years, maybe not, but not in the near future. 2020 will likely be like 2019. I saw it getting worse every year.

If you do not want to live with a mask and air purifiers in a locked room for a third of every year, get out and only travel to CNX / Northern Thailand in the rainy season.

On 10/1/2019 at 6:41 PM, unamazedloso said:

Um, so..... What the hell are they going to do? 

Short, medium and long term measures, meaning?

If it exceeds the limit they will seek better solutions?

Are these people insane? They have no idea, and dont care at all. They are incapable of even contemplating the issue by the sounds of it. I guess thats what happens when your subject to pm2.5 for long periods of time, or in the womb. It's called "brain damage"????????

Thailand doesnt need your neocolonialsm. Nobody fails in Thailand 555

10 hours ago, worldfun said:

does people really think this is a problem isolated to CM? did anyone really think things would get better before it gets worse?

the whole north is going to be enveloped in toxic smoke for months (again!) virtually all the way from bkk to chiang rai & everywhere in between.

make your escape plans now & not tomorrow...

as mentioned by a few posters the only long term solution involves educating/motivating polluters / arsenists to earn more money by non burning. maybe sometime in the distant future

Farmers burn because it is it is low cost, and increases profit greatly. Do you think they are going to stop for pesky whinging farang after doing it for millinea. Why are there so many dreamers on Thai Visa. If you don't like it get out. Thailand doesn't care what you think and the hospital and crematorium guys will be very happy to meet you when you die prematurely. It's your choice to meet the grim reaper 555. 

4 hours ago, Langkawee said:

Farmers burn because it is it is low cost, and increases profit greatly. Do you think they are going to stop for pesky whinging farang after doing it for millinea. Why are there so many dreamers on Thai Visa. If you don't like it get out. Thailand doesn't care what you think and the hospital and crematorium guys will be very happy to meet you when you die prematurely. It's your choice to meet the grim reaper 555. 

Hospitals and crematoriums happy to see your farang cash 555. Give the haze your blessing, all that farang cash spent on hospitals and crematoriums is great for the Thai economy, offsets the drop off in exports being lost to Vietnam. And another revenue stream from deadly minivan and bus accidents. always look on the bright side of life. Welcome to Thailand 555

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:24 PM, cerox said:

His plan must be really sophisticated that he cannot make details public.

The plan is "shoot from the hip".

Very similar to "fly by the seat of your pants".

On 10/2/2019 at 1:05 PM, Soundspeed said:

Had to check the date on the post. Thought I read this last year. Nothing can be done at a municipal level - more water sprays on the foot bridges??  It is an international crisis and until the  heads of nearby national govts, universities, economists and farmers get together and work out ways to improve backward farming techniques it will not stop.

You have to convince farmers that they can benefit from composting or recycling crop waste and earning or saving money by improving fertility and using less oil based fertilizer.  At the moment its too easy to drop a match and run away into the night.

Education based on research is better than fining individuals. But more people need to care enough to push this issue through the crust of self interested, short sighted profiteers benefiting from the current situation.

Global corporations do need to be shamed and punished severely before they will come to the party. 

You can punish them by revealing who is making money out of burning forests so we can boycott those products using palm oil for instance.

Think of the successful actions taken against big companies using sweatshop conditions to make sports clothes or the coffee fair trade movements. This is the only way it will improve from the top down when inspired by consumers from the bottom up. Don't expect governments to upset their friends at the world bank. 

Agree, and I see a further point; the majority of Thai farmers are poor to very poor and most have a tiny amount of land or rent land. And they are all hoping that they can make big money. It's obvious that small scale farming cannot / will never produce income more than survival. 

But of course someone has to grown the food to feed the nation and this probably means subsidies as in Europe).

But if it's farmers growing in big quantities aiming for export then that's another scenario and subsidies probably should not be in the picture.

It all desperately needs major reorganizing and hopefully and hopefully without corrupt politicians and their leeche s getting big immoral gains.

Seems to me that the time came decades ago to realize that there needs to be national support for the growing of food to feed the country (as in Europe) and to ensure that farmers have a good quality of life same as all citizens.

On 10/5/2019 at 10:21 AM, Langkawee said:

I believe that you will find that there are a lot more Thais than Farang concerned about the situation.

4 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Other than annoying coughs and congestion, have any other smoke related maladies been reported?

Others will have to wait a year or more to get cancer, and another year or more to die. The guys who own the crematoriums will have to wait a little longer for their cash with those who choose to remain in Chiang Mai and get cancer. No wonder the the Thais call us farang buffalo. Only an idiot would willing stay in Chiang Mai. 

Considering the way too early end of the rainy season, I predict a longer but much less concentrated smoke season this year. Last year we had rain into January, this year the meaningful rains ended in the first week of September. Maybe, I hope, we will get some late rains. But if not, the farmers will get some of their burning done before the bans. Although the mushroom picking forest burners may still ruin life for everyone once again.

17 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Do you have cancer statistics?

Long-term exposure to the haze and particulate matter can lead to the development of medical conditions such as bronchitis and a higher incidence of lung cancer. Volumes on internet for the relation between haze and cancer. The farang buffalo will stay in Chiang Mai. The smart ones who do not want to meet the crematorium guys soonest will find a new home without haze. It's obvious. 

I wonder if the governor believes what he is saying. In the last 30 days the AQI has passed the 50 ppm mark every single day and they seem to ignore it.

image.png.624be9bd95f9d008dd3acfd41fe0b3f3.png

Other than annoying coughs and congestion, have any other smoke related maladies been reported?

Yes, cardio-vascular diseases, eye inflamations and skin irritations with different degrees of gravity ranging from simply annoying to life-threatening and deadly. This is short term only and there are no studies what the long term effects may be.

more posts about farmers.  glad to see that.  I was worried that this might be related to the Aerosol Effect, as well as the Climate thing where for instance July 2019 was the hottest month ever recorded.  and so have recent years.  yet, thank goodness, this haze thing is something that has been going on for many decades, not just the most recent two.... decades.

11 hours ago, WeekendRaider said:

more posts about farmers.  glad to see that.  I was worried that this might be related to the Aerosol Effect, as well as the Climate thing where for instance July 2019 was the hottest month ever recorded.  and so have recent years.  yet, thank goodness, this haze thing is something that has been going on for many decades, not just the most recent two.... decades.

There are reports that in Hanoi pollution is similar to Beijing but the readers of the meters are giving a much lower reading than reality because of political pressure.  Could the same thing be happening in Thailand. Would solve the problem in the minds of buffalo farang. I am suspicious as to why the pollution suddenly dropped so much so quickly in Chiang Mai at the beginning of the Chinese international holidays week. i smell a rat. Something extremely fishy for reporters to investigate. .... political pressure to make make believe clean air for Chinese holidaymakers and buffalo farang?

This is a joke.  
Drive up to Chiang Rai and most of the way, both sides of the road, fires and smoke in the fields and in the forest, even on the side of the road.  Get real. 

Leaving the north or Thailand in general is the only solution I take.  Not worth the health risk.  
Eventually, in several years, they figure out the economic impact of lost tourism and local health issues AND THEN they will "convene" again... clowns and jokers.

Archived