Whats the best beach in mainland Krabi with clean beach & clear water for swimming?

zeekgarcia

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2020 at 7:16 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I always stayed at Railay West beach. That was a while back so I can't say for now.

It's on the mainland, but reached by boat, unless they have put a road in.

Best sunsets in Thailand.

I'm back from there and it was way overcrowded and there was too much boat (even on a Monday). Phra Nang beach was not that bad because the boat can't get there. Railay is still only accessible via boat. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 1/25/2020 at 11:35 PM, Tayaout said:

I'm back from there and it was way overcrowded and there was too much boat (even on a Monday). Phra Nang beach was not that bad because the boat can't get there. Railay is still only accessible via boat. 

I'm sorry to hear that. It was one of my favourite beaches, for the sunsets.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2020 at 2:20 PM, zeekgarcia said:

Stayed at Ao Nang and it was good and did not feel itchy as we did when we were at Cha AM.

Never been to Cha Am, but I have been to Hua Hin and there were loads of jelly fish on that beach. I didn't see any swimming there- only sunbathing on the beach amongst the horse poo.

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

isn't Koh Mak infested with sandflies, was when I was there, departed after the first day

Maybe it depends on the season or the beach. Never saw any. 

Edit: I remember the hotel staff fumigating the beach... After doing some research it seems like a common problem in this area including Koh Chang. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2020 at 11:22 AM, Tayaout said:

I swimmed at both Cha Am and Hua Hin but you can't compare with south Thailand! Cha Am feels more Thai than Hua Hin and both are decent option from Bangkok. However Koh Mak and surrounding islands are much better.

If it's for living then south thailand is much better for beachs! However some spot can get crowded and they did not figured out how to put a muffler on their boat.

I plan to go to Koh Phi Phi for the first time next month since it's probably a once of a lifetime chance to visit without tourists. 

Phi Phi is open now?

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 3:49 PM, Solinvictus said:

Hmm I've been to both and did experience the 'itchy' as you have mentioned.

I do not remember what time of year we were at Cha Am but we were at Ao Nang during Nov and did not fell itchy when we got out of the ocean as we did when we were at Cha Am.

• 10 months later...
On 8/22/2020 at 11:22 AM, Tayaout said:

I swimmed at both Cha Am and Hua Hin but you can't compare with south Thailand! Cha Am feels more Thai than Hua Hin and both are decent option from Bangkok. However Koh Mak and surrounding islands are much better.

If it's for living then south thailand is much better for beachs! However some spot can get crowded and they did not figured out how to put a muffler on their boat.

I plan to go to Koh Phi Phi for the first time next month since it's probably a once of a lifetime chance to visit without tourists. 

I live on the sea front in Koh Lanta, and that is one of my main gripes - silencers on boats, or more correctly, the absence thereof! I love to see the boats and the way of life, but the noise can sometimes be ear splitting.

Considering I have to have my boat inspected and properly labelled, kitted out with life vests, etc. for the annual registration (fund raising), it beggers belief that these long tail fishing boats can get away without silencers.

However, as usual, stupidity reigns, since these fishermen are seriously damaging their hearing, and that of their children who tag along when schools out.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 12:49 PM, simple1 said:

isn't Koh Mak infested with sandflies, was when I was there, departed after the first day

I never had that problem in Koh Mak, only Koh Chang, where they sold the protective / treatment oil at the hotel check in.

39 minutes ago, Tofer said:

I never had that problem in Koh Mak, only Koh Chang, where they sold the protective / treatment oil at the hotel check in.

OK. Definitely was the case when I was on Koh Mak, never been bitten on Koh Chang, probably a time of year scenario. Never been bitten in Krabi region, for me the best day beaches were the small offshore islands near Ao Nang. Best to check with the likes of Tripadvisor on timing for sand flies. I personally get a bad reaction with the bites.

Edited by simple1

On 12/5/2021 at 11:00 AM, simple1 said:

OK. Definitely was the case when I was on Koh Mak, never been bitten on Koh Chang, probably a time of year scenario. Never been bitten in Krabi region, for me the best day beaches were the small offshore islands near Ao Nang. Best to check with the likes of Tripadvisor on timing for sand flies. I personally get a bad reaction with the bites.

I do too. I was chased down the Bamboo beach by a cloud / swarm of them in March 2003, and had to jump in the sea to avoid being eaten alive.

I agree it is probably seasonal and I heard say some areas of Koh Chang didn't get bothered. It might even have been cleared up since then.

• 10 months later...
On 8/6/2020 at 3:38 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm sorry to hear that. It was one of my favourite beaches, for the sunsets.

I had not been back for 20 years and was shocked. Its so built up. No jungle at all between east and west Raillay now. Just hotel after hotel and restaurants, bars,  and trinket shops. Really happy I did not stay. As you said used to be just beautiful. Even the water is not clear from all the boats. 

On 12/5/2021 at 10:21 AM, Tofer said:

When I went to Koh Chang last year, didn't experience any itching. Staff also didn't give us any protective oil, so perhaps it's seasonal. We were at the beach of the Centara Grand resort there.

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

nice "misleading" edited videos as the beaches shown are not what they look

Yes ... topic ... "for swimming" ... no takers it seems.  Still covid, but surely some folks would be in the water.

Thai surf is lovely to look at, actually going in, then you need to look a bit closer.  If it is a great beach, then it's probably way too crowded, which means too much development nearby, and fecal count surely to be an issue.