Why is Durian So Expensive?

JimmyTheMook

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

Where do you buy? 

On Samui you can can buy it from the back of a pickup, directly from the producer or you can go to Central and pay 200% markup like the Chinese tourists. 

We buy from the back of a pickup but still pay top$ here in Patts.

Never dropped below 120-130kg this year. Are very few sellers just not out en force like years prior.

Thank Chinese here and PRC.

The trick is to get one that's just ripening. A little firm. You have to have a Thai pick it out bc when you start rejecting cut durian the guys get unhappy. You tell them explicitly not soft, overripe but they will try and fob those off on you the dumb farang then make faces when you don't like what they've cut sliced open for a test press. The Thai will reject them and no drama.

Sometimes my wife will come home with a real soft one. The local fruit guy in the truck couldn't sell it so gave her half price. That's how much they are unwanted. Next, if you want to gain appreciation you just have to dig in. Keep trying but getting one not overripe it's not that stinky at all.

If it's overripe it's only good with sticky rice and coconut milk. It's too soft, stinky, sweet.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, luk AJ said:

I started one year ago with 400 trees, soil can never be too wet nor too dry. The roots spread out but don’t go deep. Durian trees require daily watering and regular fertiliser.
I hope to be able to harvest first Durian in 5-6 yearsIMG_1272.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

gee you are going great, we have planted 20 and 8 are still hanging on , there is much to learn about duriun, tried a new method and it seems to be working, yours look great !

This is another really dumb question here on Thai Visa. The durian tree has to grow over a period of at least 7 years. That means watering and fertilizing for SEVEN years with no return. Then when it finally does start to bear fruit, a huge 30 foot tall tree might have 6-10 fruit on it. Not like a mango tree that has upwards of 50 fruit.

With so much in one fruit, don’t you fear durian rustlers during the fruit season? 

we Know people with a few trees hidden in their gardens, but nothing on a commercial scale 

Indeed a worry but it is fenced and there are 2 guard houses on the property. So yes it is a worry and we will need to address this seriously.

• Like 1

This is another really dumb question here on Thai Visa. The durian tree has to grow over a period of at least 7 years. That means watering and fertilizing for SEVEN years with no return. Then when it finally does start to bear fruit, a huge 30 foot tall tree might have 6-10 fruit on it. Not like a mango tree that has upwards of 50 fruit.

Correct, but I bought trees of 2 y old.
For the watering I have 3 wells and huge concrete tanks for buffer ( 2x 500m3). Pumps are 120m deep. It is a big investment but growing rice or Tapioca is not rewarding. I know the risk and worse case no trees but still the land and the wells. Fingers crossed

My in-laws grow durian among other fruits.  All I would say about its cost is wait until you have planted it, watered and fertilized it for years, waited for the years needed for it to bear fruit, harvested it and carried it to the markets to wholesale it don't complain about the cost.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MrTrip said:

I like it and the in-laws like it too. I have to say that it’s even expensive straight from the farmer. Luckily only about 10km from the village

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sisaket durian commands a higher price than others due to the volcanic soil its grown in. Supposedly improves the taste.

There can be hefty fines for traders selling other area durians as sisaket durian.

• Like 1

Alot of the tress in the best growing area were killed during the big flood in 2011. Those trees should be coing back on line or back for a year or two. Blame the Chinese they buy all of the top dollar stuff. They have a factory somewhere that freeze dries it by the thousands of lbs.

4 hours ago, dlclark97 said:

My in-laws grow durian among other fruits.  All I would say about its cost is wait until you have planted it, watered and fertilized it for years, waited for the years needed for it to bear fruit, harvested it and carried it to the markets to wholesale it don't complain about the cost.  

Waiting is a virtue. Just wait, and wait more. 

I enjoy Durian when I do eat carbs. My guess is that a lot of Durian is being planted right now so the price will probably plummet within a decade. However, I asked the local farmers why don't they plant Durian instead of rice, sugar cane and cassava. My conclusion is that none of them can wait more than a year before getting a return. Most also lack the knowledge on how to care for their soil on the long term. 

I started a couple Durian from seed even if it's probably a lottery. I plan on getting a larger land for my family and will then travel in Malaysia to get the 4 kinds of Durian. I will fill the land with fruit tree and bush. I think it's good investment for the children. At best they will be able to do a living harvesting the fruits and at worst they will have more fruits that they can eat. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

My house owner, an old Thai man, told me that at Chumpon Durian sells for 12B/kg.

I didn't believe him, but he said he've seen it himself, and the price os low because a lot of farms are there.

So maybe worth a visit.

I buy durians in supercheap (Phuket/Krabi/Phangna Chain of supermarkets) for about 100 or less.

They can drop to 72 in season.

And then they do have half-open ones for 50B. I like these because you can see inside and smell, and be 100% sure about it's taste.

A lot of unripe ones, yes, but still some are very good. Just be patient and visit more than one shop.

Seen prices between Thb 100 and Thb 140 / Kg here in Pattaya from the pick ups this year.  Buy most of ours at the Thb 100 mark. Of course more expensive in the supermarkets and less opportunity to select your own.

On 10/2/2019 at 5:01 AM, Victornoir said:

I planted 6 durian trees. 2 years after only one survived, and it is not at its best.

Maybe an explanation of the cost.

It's also very perishable. I learned from my Thai wife that when it is at the right stage (firm, not mushy at all) it deteriorates quickly from that point and becomes bitter.