BANGKOK
JimmyTheMook

Why is Durian So Expensive?

Really? - must be a huge markup along the supply chain somewhere.

Yes they stank and prolly suk to move around but who is making all the chiss on this limburger?

maxresdefault (2).jpg

Chinese buy out entire crops before they're ripe. When ready they send the durian to to China. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

Where do you buy? 

On Samui you can can buy it from the back of a pickup, directly from the producer or you can go to Central and pay 200% markup like the Chinese tourists. 

We buy from the back of a pickup but still pay top$ here in Patts.

Never dropped below 120-130kg this year. Are very few sellers just not out en force like years prior.

Thank Chinese here and PRC.

The trick is to get one that's just ripening. A little firm. You have to have a Thai pick it out bc when you start rejecting cut durian the guys get unhappy. You tell them explicitly not soft, overripe but they will try and fob those off on you the dumb farang then make faces when you don't like what they've cut sliced open for a test press. The Thai will reject them and no drama.

Sometimes my wife will come home with a real soft one. The local fruit guy in the truck couldn't sell it so gave her half price. That's how much they are unwanted. Next, if you want to gain appreciation you just have to dig in. Keep trying but getting one not overripe it's not that stinky at all.

If it's overripe it's only good with sticky rice and coconut milk. It's too soft, stinky, sweet.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, luk AJ said:

I started one year ago with 400 trees, soil can never be too wet nor too dry. The roots spread out but don’t go deep. Durian trees require daily watering and regular fertiliser.
I hope to be able to harvest first Durian in 5-6 yearsIMG_1272.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

gee you are going great, we have planted 20 and 8 are still hanging on , there is much to learn about duriun, tried a new method and it seems to be working, yours look great !