new hotel builds endless coffee shops and no fast train

andy72

Chiang Mai seems to have endless new boutique style hotels being built

so many plots withing the old city walls  has seen the old buildings demolished and new hotels built and they are not low rent

Even around Sompet which was always cheap rent

Would hate to be a long time resident which there are many who have a nice hoe spacious garden to be suddenly overshadowed by a huge new build not to mention the endless construction noise all around

I see one which the owners have slapped a for sale sign on and its no wonder next door is a huge PARTY HOSTEL its exactly that endless drinking

Plus there seems to be a new coffee place everywhere even a local paint store has stuck a coffee machine counter at its front door
and tattoo parlours

Chiang Mai has lost its laid back atmosphere

& now they are scrapping the HS Rail Line how can these hotels sustain.

There are plenty of Chinese tourists but they eat at the stalls outside and buy the same <deleted> to take home special stores sprang up to accomodate this its like they only sell 6 hot items

Will the Chinese continue to come like the Brits and Germans to Spain or the Ozzies to Bali or will it go pear shaped once China gets its Nong Khai train to Kunming.

& what if this baht bubble bursts who are all these hotels in debt to?

What you are witnessing right before your eyes is the transformation of Thailand from a quiet culture running in slow motion to a loud fast paced more expensive culture positioning itself to cater to young Asians...wave of future...

God forbid if the Chinese with their crude mannerism become the tourists of choice...

24 minutes ago, andy72 said:

Chiang Mai has lost its laid back atmosphere

I would have to agree, they have exploited the city to the extent that it is now overloaded and unable to cope, horrendous traffic jams, stinking sewers & lets not forget the pollution both from traffic and burning! I for one won't be returning in the near future - but they won't care they have ten Chinese or Indians to take my place - they hope!

On 10/2/2019 at 9:24 AM, SteveK said:

Tourism is down? Build more hotels, that'll sort it!

On 10/2/2019 at 9:24 AM, CGW said:

I would have to agree, they have exploited the city to the extent that it is now overloaded and unable to cope, horrendous traffic jams, stinking sewers & lets not forget the pollution both from traffic and burni

ng! I for one won't be returning in the near future - but they won't care they have ten Chinese or Indians to take my place - they hope!

again Thailand over estimates itself
there has been a major refurb of hotels in CM and YES they are nice but its a big over estimation of what people will pay and expect to pay in Thailand
and it already has an impact with poor numbers this year chiang-mai-braced-for-barren-hotels

It will be interesting to see it in a few years after all this building flurry has died down it seems like every other Soi in the old City has a new Boutique Hotel shifting the demographic of visitor.
I don't really agree

On 10/2/2019 at 9:05 AM, Puchaiyank said:

What you are witnessing right before your eyes is the transformation of Thailand from a quiet culture running in slow motion to a loud fast paced more expensive culture positioning itself to cater to young Asians...wave of future...

I think many are even over that price range
Its over saturation and really not that indifferent from the usual copycat stuff we are used to seeing
smoothie shops,resteraunts opening and just copying the menu from down the road the specail shops that opened just for the Chiese to fill their take back home lists
As soon as one person is successful someone copies them result over saturation no one really makes money many go to the wall
I see it everywhere Nepal India Thailand all SE ASia
Typical street used to be Internet Cafe, Convenience Store, Resteraunt, Souveniers, Guest House then repeat until you run out of street

Pretty much all the new build hotels are Chinese funded. So yes you have pretty much no cheap accommodation left .

Next year a drastic increase in local taxes is anticipated with very little information forthcoming in order for people to prepare. It looks like the perfect storm. Govt says we want money, business owners say we don't have any , govt says we still want money. What could possibly go wrong!

38 minutes ago, stament said:

OP you forgot condo oversupply and trendy barbers fast becoming the new internet and coffee shop ventures.....

Ah some bright spark  has  combined the  coffee shop/barbers  idea seriously

or the endless tattoo parlors or the shops that only sell the things the Chinese take home

Archived