Adjust UPVC windows?

CGW

Anybody ever had any success adjust UPVC casement windows with exterior butt hinges as picture, I have been looking for an hour and am no wiser, there appears to be no adjustment, but neither can I see a way to remove the complete window, I must be missing something?

I can adjust the doors - no problem, but these windows have me stumped!

20191002_114627.jpg

43 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Do the holes in the female part of the hinge have grub screws in them or just pins?

Nothing! 

39 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Which way do you need to adjust them?

up-down

left-right

in-out

They need to go up.

2 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Are there adjusting screws in those holes in the top and bottom brackets?  For vertical alignment?

No, looks like like should have a grub screw in, there is nothing! 

There must be a way of removing the centre pin, yet I can't figure out how too! The top has a hex head bolt that sits flush and the bottom has a type of hex head nut or bolt that is recessed, that looks like it has an internal allen key (hard to see!) , but no allen wrench I have will fit and I have every size known to me!

Got the hinge pin out, it just pushes up and out, that's what the grub screws should be for, no wonder I couldn't find an allen wrench to fit! I guess the fitter didn't think the pin would need to be retained - brilliant design! No adjustment possible as I see it!

There is a centre piece on the window frame where the locks engage, the only way I can see to lift the window is to shim underneath it, when it closes it will ride up, very sophisticated, will look later, window in direct sun, its bloody hot out today!

20191002_145449.jpg

20191002_145348.jpg

28 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

is fitted once and for all......and needs to be done properly that one time.?

That would be nice, "once and for all" unfortunately everything, apart from throw away items usually needs some form of maintenance, I could call the people that fitted them in the first place and they would eventually arrive, but in most instances here its easier to DIY, the windows & doors have been in over five years, they require periodic adjustment, have adjusted some of the others in the past just not this particular type, its just normal wear and tear, the temp doesn't help either.

The "whitish" gasket was just silicone they had run around, not really doing anything, will shim it when it cools down 10 deg, should work.

Got the hinge pin out, it just pushes up and out, that's what the grub screws should be for, no wonder I couldn't find an allen wrench to fit! I guess the fitter didn't think the pin would need to be retained - brilliant design! No adjustment possible as I see it!
There is a centre piece on the window frame where the locks engage, the only way I can see to lift the window is to shim underneath it, when it closes it will ride up, very sophisticated, will look later, window in direct sun, its bloody hot out today!
20191002_145449.thumb.jpg.a1ad69e75f0e94ec22513d956f706ed5.jpg
20191002_145348.thumb.jpg.66041d5a2cbb10cbb657092015767c6b.jpg

Is it an optical illusion or is that pin eccentric ??

That wouldn’t help lift the window up but you could tilt it for a better fit and lock it in place with the grub screws ( missing ).

If not, why would it have a hex top to it ?

5 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

If not, why would it have a hex top to it ?

Optical illusion or lousy photographer! pin is round, hex top fits into a hex recess in the top of the hinge, then supposed to be locked in place with grub screws for security as hinges are external.

Optical illusion or lousy photographer! pin is round, hex top fits into a hex recess in the top of the hinge, then supposed to be locked in place with grub screws for security as hinges are external.

Okay, I get the grub screw part as they would be covered when the windows are in closed position meaning the hinge pin cannot be removed ( you probably need to look into fitting some grub screws).

But the hex seems unnecessary unless used for positioning purposes ?.

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Okay, I get the grub screw part as they would be covered when the windows are in closed position meaning the hinge cannot be removed ( you probably need to look into fitting some ).

If the pin gets dirty or corroded the socket will allow wiggling it out.

53 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I would guess it is cost driven, just machine a bolt down rather than making all new & as "sometimewoodworker" rightly states the hex head did come in handy removing it & yes need to fit some grub screws, luckily I have a box of them - somewhere!

Archived