Thai Consulate in Savannakhet, Laos (REPORT)

4 hours ago, joninisaan said:

paying 1500 baht

Pay in USD, it may not be much for you but for australians like me you save over 500baht for entry (30USD entry except weekends,after hours). 

There was a bar near us that had a promo, lao beer 24baht per bottle, if purchased in 3. 

Paid for the whole night including food. 

The tuk tuk drivers are straight up scams. It's a short walk to avalon and the bus station. 

Edited by ndreamer
  • Like 2

joninisaan,

thanks for the in depth details for Savannakhet. Could you tell me if your Non-O was for Marriage or Retirement and what was required for (1) money in the bank / 2 or 3 mths (2) monthly income (3) combination of both.

• Confused 1

The same as my experience back in Feb. Didn't know there was free parking at the Thai border though. I paid same as OP.

I got the bus across the bridge. It had disappeared once I'd done the Lao visa. I don't think it goes on to Savannaket, just picks up passengers going back to Thailand. So a tuk tuk or  taxi the only way in to town.

28 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

I got the bus across the bridge. It had disappeared once I'd done the Lao visa. I don't think it goes on to Savannaket, just picks up passengers going back to Thailand. So a tuk tuk or  taxi the only way in to town.

You are entitled to take the bus on to Savannakhet bus station, but may need to wait around a bit if you want to do so. If in a hurry, you may need to take one of the overpriced tuk tuks.

On 10/1/2019 at 6:24 PM, joninisaan said:

When arriving in Laos, got off the bus and took all my belongings as I heard that sometimes the bus driver doesn't wait for all the passengers to go through passport control and just leaves.

Buses leave frequently , just get on the next bus and show your ticket 

22 hours ago, ndreamer said:

Pay in USD, it may not be much for you but for australians like me you save over 500baht for entry (30USD entry except weekends,after hours). 

There was a bar near us that had a promo, lao beer 24baht per bottle, if purchased in 3. 

Paid for the whole night including food. 

The tuk tuk drivers are straight up scams. It's a short walk to avalon and the bus station. 

Yeah I guess you're right. But when leaving the hotel walking to the Thai consulate, the tuk tuk driver there told me 100 baht but I made up my mind to walk anyway as I wanted to have at least a little sight seeing for myself before I left Savannakhet.

does anyone know how they feel when you show up with a completely blank passport. for example you got a new passport from the us embassy in vientiane then come to get a visa. will they ask to see the old passport with holes punched in it so they can see an entry stamp or they dont care about that? 

Edited by at15

12 hours ago, at15 said:

does anyone know how they feel when you show up with a completely blank passport. for example you got a new passport from the us embassy in vientiane then come to get a visa. will they ask to see the old passport with holes punched in it so they can see an entry stamp or it doesnt matter? 

They will probably look at the empty passport and think to themselves "This guy has never been to Thailand before" and give you a visa

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You are entitled to take the bus on to Savannakhet bus station, but may need to wait around a bit if you want to do so. If in a hurry, you may need to take one of the overpriced tuk tuks.

Thanks for the tip. Is the bus in to town on the other side of the Lao border? Deserts apart from one taxi on my trip.

21 hours ago, MaiDong said:

Please give details about what you provided the consulate in order to get the multi O. Including costs. Thanks ????

I provided what @gzu88bv wrote on a forum post from 2014 but the document requirements are the same:

- visa application (see Application.jpg)

- 2 pictures attached to the application

- original marriage certificate

- 1 copy of marriage certificate, i.e. front and back page copied back to back on a single sheet with no date and signature on it (see Marriage Certificate Front and Back Page.jpg)

- 1 copy of my passport front page dated 15.01.2013 and signed by me

- 1 copy of my wife’s ID card, front and back page copied on a single front sheet, dated 15.1.2013 and signed by my wife only

- 1 copy of my wife’s Blue Book (Tabian Ban) copied on a single front sheet dated 15.01.2013 and signed by my wife only

- 5000 Baht visa fee

-He even attached the application form but I saved it on my computer with the information typed in already, so I can't send an attachment for it. If you would like an attachment for the application form, ask @gzu88bv

The price was the same: 5000 baht

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

They will probably look at the empty passport and think to themselves "This guy has never been to Thailand before" and give you a visa

right. good call. worst case, "mai mee" 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Blue bruce said:

What kind of visa did you get and did you show any financials or bank statements. Was your a me non o????

I got a Non "O" multi entry based on marriage and NO financial or bank statements shown. I was able to get it via the Thai consulate in Honolulu, Hawaii when I go back home to Hawaii to visit but as of about 2 years, they only issue single entries. I sent my passport to Los Angeles but I ran into so many problems with them denying it so I got a single entry from the Thai Consulate in Honolulu instead this year.

Just now, Kalasin Jo said:

Thanks for the tip. Is the bus in to town on the other side of the Lao border? Deserts apart from one taxi on my trip.

The bus goes through the border post and is supposed to wait for the passengers to re-board. Most people on the bus are Thai or Lao and simply go through immigration without a delay. The bus driver isn't interested in waiting a few more minutes for those who have to spend a little time getting a visa, and off they go. So it was very wise of the OP, and lucky, that he took his belongings from the bus.

You can wait for the next bus but according to the timetable at the Thai border they appear to run hourly at best, so it is worth spending the equivalent of a few dollars for a tuk tuk. We've sometimes got an air-con van for 200 baht, so paying that for a tuk tuk is a rip-off. Still, when you just want to take care of business, is it really worth arguing over peanuts?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, james512 said:

I was in Savannakhet last month for a Multi Non O.  There was no need for a copy of my Lao visa.

Documents required for Multi Non O (based on marriage) are:

Passport

Two recent passport photos

Completed application form

Copy of photo page in passport

Original marriage cert

Copy of marriage cert

Copy of wife's ID

Copy of wife's blue book

5000 baht.

Also avoid Mondays and Thursdays, there are too many people.  I was there on a Wednesday, arrived about 9:15am and waited in line for around 10 minutes.  I say arrived at 9:15 but really that's when i joined the queue, i waited in the restaurant across the road until the initial people queuing were all inside.  That was my fourth visa in Savannakhet and, as usual, no stress at all.  For previous visas i've always arrived at the consulate after 10:30am and there was usually only one or two other people there.

I heard earlier from someone that we also needed a copy of our Laos Visa so wasn't surprised that the guy in the little shop made a copy of my Lao visa but I didn't sign it. 

I was actually just going to go straight to the hotel on Monday from the border and go to the consulate on Tuesday but I changed my mind whilst crossing the bridge in the bus to just chance it and go straight to the consulate as I would have to wait to 1:00 PM to check into the hotel. I wanted to go to Savannakhet a day earlier as I've never went to Savannakhet and didn't want to just rush to the consulate straight from the border which I ended up doing anyway. Next year, I'll FOR SURE to go on a Tuesday.

The cynic in me is wondering about the motivation in cutting the trees outside the consulate. They didn't look as if they were a danger. And, suddenly, there is a thriving business of people renting umbrellas. A very good earner to be shared among those involved.

Such a thing would not surprise me. Several years ago a similar scam was set up at the consulate in Melbourne. My perfectly acceptable passport photos, taken in a proper passport photo booth and used elsewhere, were 'not acceptable', but by lucky coincidence there was a pharmacy over the road, Thai-owned, who could make new photos. So off I trotted, and joined several others doing the same thing, with more arriving as I left.

Of course, maybe the consulate had nothing to do with the trees being pruned and it was a local council thing. But, again, the chance for a nice little business to be established.

3 hours ago, bastco said:

joninisaan,

thanks for the in depth details for Savannakhet. Could you tell me if your Non-O was for Marriage or Retirement and what was required for (1) money in the bank / 2 or 3 mths (2) monthly income (3) combination of both.

I got a Non "O" multi entry based on Marriage and nothing other than the visa fee of 5000 baht was required as far as money. 

2 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

The same as my experience back in Feb. Didn't know there was free parking at the Thai border though. I paid same as OP.

The free parking is a little cramped parking lot right after the exit of the paid parking. I think its worth paying for parking unless you have a beat up car or truck that you dont care people putting dents in it opening their door and clipping driving around in the little free parking lot. I usually do a 90 day border hop at Nakhon Phanom and the the guy who collects the tickets which they didnt do at Mukdahan asks me if I'm going and coming back. They didnt ask me at Mukdahan and when I was through passport control in Laos, I didnt see the bus anymore and all the other foreigners who were on my bus were all waving tuk tuks too.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The bus goes through the border post and is supposed to wait for the passengers to re-board. Most people on the bus are Thai or Lao and simply go through immigration without a delay. The bus driver isn't interested in waiting a few more minutes for those who have to spend a little time getting a visa, and off they go. So it was very wise of the OP, and lucky, that he took his belongings from the bus.

You can wait for the next bus but according to the timetable at the Thai border they appear to run hourly at best, so it is worth spending the equivalent of a few dollars for a tuk tuk. We've sometimes got an air-con van for 200 baht, so paying that for a tuk tuk is a rip-off. Still, when you just want to take care of business, is it really worth arguing over peanuts?

Especially as Laos is a communist country, I didn't even want to jay walk there. One thing I noticed in Savannakhet though is that EVERYONE there drove vehicles in an orderly manner. No one driving down the wrong side of the road, no one just turning out into the road without looking first or yielding, EVERYONE used their turn indicators and I saw several people pullover on the side of the road to use their phones. Also, no one zig zaggin through traffic. Maybe theirs something to the government there.

• Like 1